NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, daveindc said:

When I see people use the term "yoga pants", they're almost always just casual NFL fans and not football fans in general:

Excuse the amount of pics here. I'm just trying to reiterate how solid of a look this is for football. "Yoga pants" my a**. 

I believe they were using ‘yoga pants’ to refer to the practice of wearing socks and pants that are the same color (which is pretty regular vocab ‘round these parts), though your point stands regardless.

33 minutes ago, daveindc said:

When I see people use the term "yoga pants", they're almost always just casual NFL fans and not football fans in general:

Excuse the amount of pics here. I'm just trying to reiterate how solid of a look this is for football. "Yoga pants" my a**. 

ap_11be53df295fa927610f6a706700c4aa.jpg

And I'm a die-hard football fan, btw. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Comparing the Jags to college bluebloods like Michigan and Penn State is only marginally less stupid than comparing them to the Raiders. Big Ten teams can pull off a simple, old-timey look because the B1G has the history to back it up. The Jags didn't even exist when the B1G actually had 10 teams. Wearing bare pants doesn't evoke any tradition or history because the Jags don't have it, so they're just boring.

50 minutes ago, daveindc said:

It's a common look, to be sure.  But that doesn't necessarily make it a solid look.

There are lots of garbage looks that have become common in recent years.

24 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Comparing the Jags to college bluebloods like Michigan and Penn State is only marginally less stupid than comparing them to the Raiders. Big Ten teams can pull off a simple, old-timey look because the B1G has the history to back it up. The Jags didn't even exist when the B1G actually had 10 teams. Wearing bare pants doesn't evoke any tradition or history because the Jags don't have it, so they're just boring.

It's not about it being "old-timey", or how long a team has existed, it's about the look itself. It's a solid football look, regardless of when a football team came into existence. To me, adding stripes just for the sake of adding them is what's boring. The Jags have a much cleaner look without them. Often times less is more. Referring to it as "yoga pants" as if it has no place in football is what's stupid, and that was the point of my reply in the first place. 

When talking about the "yoga pants" look, we're not talking about white pants, or red pants, or yellow pants, or purple pants (those actually have stripe too, just above the knee), or maroon pants. Usually we're talking specifically about a plain black pants/black socks combo. Usually featured by the Ravens and Saints, and soon to be the Jaguars as well.

orleans-saints-v-denver-broncos-20121028

Baltimore-Ravens-Joe-Flacco-Offensive-Li

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That's not true in the slightest. Context is one of the most important parts of a team's look. Take this same template and apply it to the Raiders and the detailing on the collar, cuffs, and socks would look oddly modern. On the Jags it looks boring and stale. Nike was criticized for having mismatching greens on the Jets while the Cowboys have worn mismatching blues for decades. The Patriots are allowed to have piping because they've won five Super Bowls in them, the Cardinals aren't because they haven't. What works for one team doesn't work for another. Jacksonville doesn't have the historical capital for their jerseys.

8 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

When talking about the "yoga pants" look, we're not talking about white pants, or red pants, or yellow pants, or purple pants (those actually have stripe too, just above the knee), or maroon pants. Usually we're talking specifically about a plain black pants/black socks combo. Usually featured by the Ravens and Saints, and soon to be the Jaguars as well.

Oh, is that what we're talking about?  Even though actual yoga pants comes in all colors, and some people here are talking about the lack of stripes on all the Jags' pants? My point still stands regardless of the pointless semantics.

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Image result for stanford football

Related imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated image

Image result for florida seminoles football

None of your examples are "yoga pants"

54 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

ap_11be53df295fa927610f6a706700c4aa.jpg

And I'm a die-hard football fan, btw. 

These are "yoga pants". It's the matching socks.

Whoops, looks like Still Mighty already covered it with the notorious offenders.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:16 AM, Fresno St. Alum said:

too bad the mini helmet still has the light gold on the top of the logo and the dark in the middle. The new Dolphins mini has a bigger logo and is easy to see how much darker it is than the old.

Some of the players have the old decal colors now. Which match the actual logo on the jersey. So now I’m not sure which is correct or which one they will use for the helmets during th regular season. The Jaguar logo with the dark gold in the middle looks way better by the way. 

Oh, is that what we're talking about?  Even though actual yoga pants comes in all colors, and some people here are talking about the lack of stripes on all the Jags' pants? My point still stands regardless of the pointless semantics.

Yep, its in reference to how when people wear yoga pants, they usually come down somewhere between the ankle and knee, which is where the the white sanitary socks happen to come up to and break up the continuity of the socks and pants on an NFL uniform. People here will use it to refer to how any team that matches their pants to their sock color is unattractive (for instance, I think the Vikings and Lions road sets are diminshed by their use of the "yoga pants" look), though the classic "yoga pants" teams are the Ravens, Saints, and Jags.

We need to come up with some kind of running dictionary for all of the bizarre jargon we have in this ridiculous community.

The term yoga pants is misused on this board. Traditional yoga pants are not tights, form fitting, nor made of stretch materials. They are lightweight and loose fitting, nothing like football pants. The term was co-opted by pop journalism and athletic wear companies due to the correlation that they were commonly worn to yoga classes. The proper terminology would be to use in the following scenario: "When the ravens wear black pants with black socks they give the appearance that they are wearing 3/4 length tights or leggings that are ubiquitous amongst the fitness and athleisure crowd."

2 minutes ago, guest23 said:

The term yoga pants is misused on this board. Traditional yoga pants are not tights, form fitting, nor made of stretch materials. They are lightweight and loose fitting, nothing like football pants. The term was co-opted by pop journalism and athletic wear companies due to the correlation that they were commonly worn to yoga classes. The proper terminology would be to use in the following scenario: "When the ravens wear black pants with black socks they give the appearance that they are wearing 3/4 length tights or leggings that are ubiquitous amongst the fitness and athleisure crowd."

Yeah, they're yoga pants.

You said yourself that the term was co-opted. The CCSLC doesn't need to un-co-opt it.

FWIW, I don't mind plain pants, as long as the balance of colors is there in the overall uniform.

3 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Yeah, they're yoga pants.

You said yourself that the term was co-opted. The CCSLC doesn't need to un-co-opt it.

FWIW, I don't mind plain pants, as long as the balance of colors is there in the overall uniform.

I prefer accuracy and proper context over lazy mischaracterizations.

37 minutes ago, guest23 said:

You want to tak about semantics, Holy Christ...

Go Google yoga pants, and tell me what you see.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On 8/10/2018 at 12:44 AM, Gupti said:

tight.png

Meh. Like others said, not as ugly as I thought, though I'm sure that has much to do with the white jerseys doing a little better on the eye test since the swords don't contrast as much. I really hate those swords and its gonna show when they bust out that all blue look. I also am endlessly annoyed by their insistence on contributing even more navy to this league than their already is. The broken side panels still don't make any sense. Its messy "modern" looks like these that make me all the more thankful that the Jags decided that understated was the way to go.

I was watching NFL highlights on television the other day, and the first thing that came to my mind when this game came on was, "Why are the Packers playing the Toronto Argonauts?"

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

You want to tak about semantics, Holy Christ...

Go Google yoga pants, and tell me what you see.

Sorry I don't use image search algorithms as a basis to construct proper written and verbal communication. Just because the masses have chosen to adopt improper terminology does not make it so. 

Archived