NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, kimball said:

Not a fan of their Color Rush, but what makes this matchup horrible is the pairing of grey and white. Should have AT LEAST gone with this ...

gettyimages-893933624-1.jpg?w=1000&h=600

Cowboys-blue_inside.Thanksgiving.jpg

I'm sure someone has already done this in Madden, but I'd be interested to see how the Lions' gray jersey looks with their blue pants. That would probably be the only way to salvage that jersey in my opinion, and even then, it would still be an unnecessary alternate.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

18 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

This isn't directly related to uniforms, but the Patriots are doing a behind-the-scenes series with their equipment staff some of you may be interested in. 

really cool they're doing a way-behind the scenes series on the people that work for the team. i know the equipment guys in Miami take their job just as seriously as Brenden and the whole Equipment Staff "fraternity" is close nit across the league. they really thrash on gamedays on the road, that was the best part of the video. they only have a couple of hours to set up before players start getting dressed and less time to tear down before they're on the bus and getting on the plane to go home. 

side note: Pats put the wrong 1-color logo in their new locker room :P

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

18 hours ago, Matito said:

I'm sure someone has already done this in Madden, but I'd be interested to see how the Lions' gray jersey looks with their blue pants. That would probably be the only way to salvage that jersey in my opinion, and even then, it would still be an unnecessary alternate.

I don’t know about blue, but silver/dark grey/silver isn’t horrible. I’ve also done the whites with the CR pants and regular socks and it looked better than I expected.

ExJworW.png

8 hours ago, walkerws said:

You'd end up with empty space so the team likely went with that. Plus the bug is more to put the trademark on the video anyway. Consistency would be nice though. 

i dont think thats as bad as having a ghosted/reverse logo though. #FlyingGhostOfElvis

GRAPHIC ARTIST

8 hours ago, walkerws said:

You'd end up with empty space so the team likely went with that. Plus the bug is more to put the trademark on the video anyway. Consistency would be nice though. 

Consistency would be nice because in this case there literally is a right way and a wrong way. Now, I haven't seen the Patriots Brand Guidelines, but I'd be willing to wager that wall-mount violates their own usage rules. The watermark in the corner on the video is how it's supposed to be seen and that's because it shows the face as a face with its contours and shadows and not a photo negative of a face. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, walkerws said:

Yeah it's easier to do what they did instead of having a floating star and face in an empty logo.

If the one in the corner is the "official" one, then I'm pretty sure that's a new thing. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

55 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Consistency would be nice because in this case there literally is a right way and a wrong way. Now, I haven't seen the Patriots Brand Guidelines, but I'd be willing to wager that wall-mount violates their own usage rules. The watermark in the corner on the video is how it's supposed to be seen and that's because it shows the face as a face with its contours and shadows and not a photo negative of a face. 

I would be shocked if you're not correct. 

The logo looks wrong the way they put it on the wall - the face doesn't read the same way in a photo-negative form.  No way the designer intended that.

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I would be shocked if you're not correct. 

The logo looks wrong the way they put it on the wall - the face doesn't read the same way in a photo-negative form.  No way the designer intended that.

They've used it before. Especially on merchandise/hats.

Consider the background color as the wood..ebay hat

35 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah it's easier to do what they did instead of having a floating star and face in an empty logo.

If the one in the corner is the "official" one, then I'm pretty sure that's a new thing. 

The inverted logo they used still has 3 separate pieces, same number of pieces it would take to use the correct version. Might as well use the correct one. 

29 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I designed dozens of signs for lobbies and offices and waiting rooms similar to this when I worked for a signage company so I have a weird bit of expertise here. It's not any easier or harder. These things are cut by a computer and a machine and the installers use a pattern when they put it on the wall. It's the same amount of work either way. 

If you're worried about the "floating star and empty face", which is what their logo is, then another way to handle that would've been to use multiple layers, with the base layer (the hat and face outline) being a darker color metal and then place the face, star, and flag trails on top of it using a lighter color finish, rather than incorrectly ghosting the logo. The other option is you take a piece of metal that's cutout in the shape of the whole logo, with the outline, and then you place another sheet of a darker color with the face, star, and flag trails removed and place that on top which allows the brighter color to show through. 

Basically the way they did it was the worst option.

I've only ever seen the Patriots logo used that way, which leads me to believe that's how they wrote their guideline. Merchandise dating back to the debut of the logo pretty much exclusively uses the official logo with the outline where the face and star is a lighter color than the background except for fashion caps and the like where the rules were broken for a specific design choice, which wasn't the case with the locker room fixture. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

They've used it before. Especially on merchandise/hats.

Consider the background color as the wood..ebay hat

thats just another example of using the wrong logo. someone is recoloring the black logo to white (i think thats the way). these things are made worse by the team not having a creative team, or at least a very small one ive never actually met anyone there, to control the quality of such things. also, we (Dolphins) use the correct 1 color logo in a few places around the stadium and if it can be done with that :censored:ty logo, anyone can do it. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

thats just another example of using the wrong logo. someone is recoloring the black logo to white (i think thats the way). these things are made worse by the team not having a creative team, or at least a very small one ive never actually met anyone there, to control the quality of such things. also, we (Dolphins) use the correct 1 color logo in a few places around the stadium and if it can be done with that :censored:ty logo, anyone can do it. 

I don't really disagree...I think those hats were from years ago (and I had a black Reebok Patriots hat with 95% "inverted" gold logo). I would hope they have new standards like the ones you've mentioned.

I disagree. I think there might be 2 one color versions to be used in different cases. Things like youtube videos, social media photos: outlines are white because there it makes sense to see through the negative space. Everyone here is saying that they should use the same application on the wall art? Well then 90% of the logo would be painted drywall with 1 inch metal outlines. Different applications, different versions. 

On 10/4/2018 at 10:45 AM, Matito said:

I did it in Madden. It looks better, but you have to go with grey socks to help it balance out and avoid the yoga pants look.

Archived