NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

Why Michigan and Florida State, and not the others? I guess it just comes down to personal opinion. To me it has a cleaner, more athletic look without the clunky and pointless stripes. The blocky stripes are just stale, useless decoration that clutters the overall look.

Less is more:

Related image

Image result for wazzu footballRelated image

Related image

I think it depends on the uniform. If the helmet has a tasteful stripe and is the same color as the pants, a matching stripe down the leg looks great. I think where that can go wrong, though, is when you then try to do too much on the jersey or socks. As you said, less is more, and my opinion is that most uniforms don’t necessarily need extra decoration on the helmet, jersey, and pants (and socks if applicable). UCLA looks great with only the jersey having stripes. Colorado looks great with no stripes. Michigan’s helmet carries their entire uniform, and very well. It’s because what is there coordinates well with everything else and has enough presence to eliminate the need for extras.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I think it depends on the uniform. If the helmet has a tasteful stripe and is the same color as the pants, a matching stripe down the leg looks great. I think where that can go wrong, though, is when you then try to do too much on the jersey or socks. As you said, less is more, and my opinion is that most uniforms don’t necessarily need extra decoration on the helmet, jersey, and pants (and socks if applicable). UCLA looks great with only the jersey having stripes. Colorado looks great with no stripes. Michigan’s helmet carries their entire uniform, and very well. It’s because what is there coordinates well with everything else and has enough presence to eliminate the need for extras.

Agreed. A lot of it is about context.

When the helmet is the focal point of the design, the other parts can take a back seat/be minimalist. My favorite example of this would be the Rams, whose best uniforms all used simple striping that drew attention towards the helmets. Like you said, Michigan also qualifies.

Sometimes, the striping is the signature element. Look at the Packers, Bears, Chiefs, and Ohio State. They build their look around a standard striping pattern (with deviations drawing ire, FU Forrest Gregg). I’m sure daveindc would dismiss is as “tradition” (said pejoratively to get a rise out of some here), but it’s a credible way to build a football identity.

The problem with the Jaguars is that they don’t have an overarching element that can justify plain jerseys. I love the helmet, but it’s just not enough. They’re fine uniforms that are utterly replaceable, which is all you can really expect from the Jaguars.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The problem with the Jaguars is that they don’t have an overarching element that can justify plain jerseys. I love the helmet, but it’s just not enough. They’re fine uniforms that are utterly replaceable, which is all you can really expect from the Jaguars.

I think you could maybe argue that the overarching element for the Jaguars could be the color teal, but yea it’d be hard to justify that since they chose black as their primary home jersey and their away has basically no teal at all.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

When talking about the "yoga pants" look, we're not talking about white pants, or red pants, or yellow pants, or purple pants (those actually have stripe too, just above the knee), or maroon pants. Usually we're talking specifically about a plain black pants/black socks combo. Usually featured by the Ravens and Saints, and soon to be the Jaguars as well.

orleans-saints-v-denver-broncos-20121028

Baltimore-Ravens-Joe-Flacco-Offensive-Li

Well... yoga pants may be on the right track. Many players today wear long compression which covers the socks or even replaces socks:

Image result for adam thielen

So... in a way, you guys are right. Some of these monochrome looks are actually "yoga pants". If we did find a way to separate the elements, the player would largely ruin it because of their tendencies nowadays.

Honestly, I don't really like to complain about monochrome pants/socks, but I can definitely see your guys' point.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

18 hours ago, daveindc said:

My argument is stripes just for the sake of having them is bad. Looking at the Jaguars'  uniform as "incomplete" just because you expect an NFL uniform to have stripes is bad. It's why we have all these odd, random patterns and piping on modern uniforms today just because it was seen as the next step from the old-fashioned stripes. It's all useless decoration. Less is more.

I disagree so much with your statement. Stripes done right make uniforms look classy and traditional. Whereas plain looks remind me of high schools and colleges that can not afford anything more. 

Stripes done wrong 1: 

vt_fb_chuck_clark_2016_03.jpg

Stripes done right 1: 

december-04-2010-virginia-tech-hokies-qu

Stripes done wrong 2: 

12c6bf9722487a5394d71c114253c028-origina

Stripes done right 2: 

chi-browns-josh-gordon-car-dealership-20

Stripes done bad 3: 

game-falcons.jpg

Stripes done right 3: 

photos.medleyphoto.2352056.jpg

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, Sleeper66 said:

So glad somebody weighed in on Little Caesar's. Really key contribution.

I frequented Little Caesar's in my days of living at home, commuting to community college. But I'm an adult now, and Domino's has a 2 for $5.99 each menu.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Sometimes.  Maybe.  And sometimes less is just less.

348s.jpg

Here's a better analogy:

Pizza-by-the-Harbour-in-Noblesville-IN_P

348s.jpg

When you start adding toppings just for the sake of adding toppings, you lose sight of what you're eating in the first place. 

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Agreed. A lot of it is about context.

When the helmet is the focal point of the design, the other parts can take a back seat/be minimalist. My favorite example of this would be the Rams, whose best uniforms all used simple striping that drew attention towards the helmets. Like you said, Michigan also qualifies.

Sometimes, the striping is the signature element. Look at the Packers, Bears, Chiefs, and Ohio State. They build their look around a standard striping pattern (with deviations drawing ire, FU Forrest Gregg). I’m sure daveindc would dismiss is as “tradition” (said pejoratively to get a rise out of some here), but it’s a credible way to build a football identity.

These elements are most often shapes that are easily read from tv angles or the top of the stadium (Michigan and Rams are great examples). I would argue the element that carries the Jaguar uniform is the color teal. Of course, when they go all white or black that presents problems but if they always wear a teal piece, even socks, that’s their ‘thing”

EDIT - just realizing that point has already been made by others. That’s why you scroll all the way down before replying :/

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

My take: it depends what the "Point of Emphasis" is on the uniform, usually a unique element that defines the brand. If you have a helmet like the rams, a logo on the sleeves like the falcons, or a color scheme like the jags, you should design the uniform around that element, make that the focus, with minimal but effective striping, if any at all, like UCLA. However, if not, focusing on the stripes can make the uniform great, i.e., Kansas City.

EDIT: POINT MADE

Archived