NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

On 9/4/2018 at 12:50 PM, kimball said:

Read this about the Jags new helmets today on ESPN. Apparently, they're just repainted helmets not new ... http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/25815/jaguars-uniform-overhaul-includes-dumping-two-tone-helmet

I'm just waiting for Bortles to get hit hard that the new paint falls off and exposes the gold. Probably the most Jaguar thing to ever happen.

They don't just spray a coat of black over the old helmets, helmets likely get completely repainted/reconditioned every offseason in the NFL. 

Even high schools will send their helmets to get reconditioned pretty often (at least in Texas). 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

They don't just spray a coat of black over the old helmets, helmets likely get completely repainted/reconditioned every offseason in the NFL. 

Even high schools will send their helmets to get reconditioned pretty often (at least in Texas). 

maxresdefault.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Exactly.. And with new helmets, the manufacturer will use the molded shell color closest to the final paint color.. 

On 9/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, BJ Sands said:

So they’re going to miss an easy victory-clinching field goal, take a knee instead of going deep to try for a late win, and blow a franchise-defining game against an inferior opponent? 

(I’m sorry. I’m still bitter we didn’t get Broncos-Vikings in the Super Bowl that year. Would’ve been incredible.)

Jets/Vikings would've been a superb Super Bowl

31 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Titans looks really unbalanced with navy/columbia/white....navy pants may have helped that out a little.

Agreed. I really wish that they kept their helmet white. Heck, silver would have been acceptable IMO. Not a fan at all of this look. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The Nike/NFL team is trying too hard to be different, instead of focusing on good design.

Why do the Bucs have clock radio numbers? Why do the Titans have armpit colors? Why the random pant stripes? Why do the Browns have orange numbers and pants wordmarks? Why did the Jaguars have a helmet that was half gold and half black? It's like they sit in a room and say "these uniforms can't be too similar to what they have now, add something else." My theory is that less is more and if you have no legitimate reason to do something, it shouldn't be done. If you're going to add random crap on a uniform just because you think it looks cool and different, don't do it. 

20 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

These looked horrible on TV. A mess of a uni with numbers that are very hard to read. Wow, Tampa Bay has a rival for current worst look in the league. 

I actually liked them better than navy on navy. Like going from a D to a B-/C+ though

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Agreed. I really wish that they kept their helmet white. Heck, silver would have been acceptable IMO. Not a fan at all of this look. 

The shade of silver they are using is too light. The navy helmets are terrible, the proposed silver helmet concept with the battered texture effect would have been cool and unique.

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The Nike/NFL team is trying too hard to be different, instead of focusing on good design.

That's because the point is not to create a good design.  It's to create a marketable design.  Which is not necessarily the same thing.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:18 AM, Gothamite said:

That's because the point is not to create a good design.  It's to create a marketable design.  Which is not necessarily the same thing.

Interesting and insightful. Makes total sense. Who was the designer/architect who said "if it doesn't make you nervous, what's the point"? I'd say Nike's NFL uniforms lately make me a bit nervous. 

On 9/10/2018 at 10:46 AM, VDizzle12 said:

Why do the Bucs have clock radio numbers? Why do the Titans have armpit colors? Why the random pant stripes? Why do the Browns have orange numbers and pants wordmarks? Why did the Jaguars have a helmet that was half gold and half black? It's like they sit in a room and say "these uniforms can't be too similar to what they have now, add something else." My theory is that less is more and if you have no legitimate reason to do something, it shouldn't be done. If you're going to add random crap on a uniform just because you think it looks cool and different, don't do it. 

So as someone who knows people that have worked with Nike to create uniforms - I hear a significant amount of the final product is basically based on what old people in suits want and not so much the designers input. 

Obviously the designers are going to field some responsibility but i feel like all the blame really can't be put on them, as easy as that is to do. 

There's more than enough blame to go around, when the process yields terrible results like with the Bucs and Titans.

Sometimes the majority belongs with the client, sometimes with the manufacturer's representatives, sometimes the designers.  But everyone gets at least a little.

Archived