Recommended Posts

Whenever anybody says the plain Jaguars uniforms are traditional, show them this photo of Packers-Rams from 1962. Stripes. Multiple colors integrated throughout the set. Actual identities. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Rams v Packers game is beautiful. As a so Cal native there is nothing better than seeing the Rams in these unis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Whenever anybody says the plain Jaguars uniforms are traditional, show them this photo of Packers-Rams from 1962. Stripes. Multiple colors integrated throughout the set. Actual identities. 

 

Hell, today’s game is also a great example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Whenever anybody says the plain Jaguars uniforms are traditional, show them this photo of Packers-Rams from 1962. Stripes. Multiple colors integrated throughout the set. Actual identities. 

 

 

 

 

I think people are taking "traditional" a little too seriously when it comes to the Jags' new uniforms. Their uniforms obviously aren't meant to look exactly like something out the 1960's. Nothing about it suggests that.

Maybe a better way of looking at it is as a modern take of traditional. "Modern retro". It's certainly more traditional than the last set. All it needs is a bit more distribution of teal, and it's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daveindc said:

 

 

 

I think people are taking "traditional" a little too seriously when it comes to the Jags' new uniforms. Their uniforms obviously aren't meant to look exactly like something out the 1960's. Nothing about it suggests that.

Maybe a better way of looking at it is as a modern take of traditional. "Modern retro". It's certainly more traditional than the last set. All it needs is a bit more distribution of teal, and it's fine.

 

There is nothing traditional about the jaguars uniforms. They are plain and basic, having the aesthetic of practice uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, umlegend1980 said:

Saw that today.  Thought the initials and the flag together kinda felt like golf.  It's nice to put this together so quickly to honor him though.

That was my first thought when I saw it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/12/watch-tom-coughlin-discusses-the-significance-of-the-jags-new-uniforms/amp/

 

“To a player, the uniforms mean everything,” said Coughlin. “It took a conglomerate of ideas as we put together designs which were brought back to us and we yay or nayed a whole bunch of things to get to what we wanted to be a traditional, classic, distinctive National Football League uniform that could be related to. When you see that uniform it says we are the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League.”

 

What the Rams and Packers had in 1962 and wore today fits Coughlin’s vision. What the Jags have now is nowhere close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jaguars uniforms are infinitely more complicated than those of the Raiders and all of these “but they don’t have sleeve stripes :(“ arguments don’t really make sense when you consider that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was football played before 1962 and by teams that didn’t have stripes on their uniforms. Not sure why people think they’re an essential design element.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

There is nothing traditional about the jaguars uniforms. They are plain and basic, having the aesthetic of practice uniforms.

??????????????????IT’S BACK!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bowld said:

This Rams v Packers game is beautiful. As a so Cal native there is nothing better than seeing the Rams in these unis

I agree, it was a thing of beauty. Rams belong in Royal Blue. Chargers should go back to Navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/12/watch-tom-coughlin-discusses-the-significance-of-the-jags-new-uniforms/amp/

 

“To a player, the uniforms mean everything,” said Coughlin. “It took a conglomerate of ideas as we put together designs which were brought back to us and we yay or nayed a whole bunch of things to get to what we wanted to be a traditional, classic, distinctive National Football League uniform that could be related to. When you see that uniform it says we are the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League.”

 

What the Rams and Packers had in 1962 and wore today fits Coughlin’s vision. What the Jags have now is nowhere close. 

 

That's just a nice way of saying "we don't have those crazy looking uniforms anymore". 

If they really wanted uniforms that looked like it was designed in the 1960's, they would've went with that. It's really not that hard. Just slap some of those old fashioned stripes on the sleeves and pants and there ya go. That's the main difference between the Jags uni and the Rams and Packers in that pic. That's clearly not what they wanted no matter what words Coughlin chose to use. Add a little more teal, and the Jags look is just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I agree, it was a thing of beauty. Rams belong in Royal Blue. Chargers should go back to Navy.

The Chargers are already wearing navy. They need to bring back the original powder blues if they want to distance themselves from the Rams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

There was football played before 1962 and by teams that didn’t have stripes on their uniforms. Not sure why people think they’re an essential design element.

Because without stripes, football uniforms are boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jags pants actually do have stripes: at the cuffs. The could stand to be wider but when they work they actually manage to break up the leotard effect. 

Also it should be noted that the Jags actually went Color Rash yesterday. No whites or stripes on the socks. Effectively this means the black jersey is the alternate. Teal primary! As the uniform gods intended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

There was football played before 1962 and by teams that didn’t have stripes on their uniforms. Not sure why people think they’re an essential design element.

Football was also once played without facemasks... Doesn't mean it was a good idea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WavePunter said:

Football was also once played without facemasks... Doesn't mean it was a good idea 

 

Actually, playing the game without facemasks would reduce the desire to tackle while leading with your head, limiting concussions and brain damage down the road... but that conversation is for another time. 

 

However, I’m more so just pointing out the fact that there were teams in existence during and before the era posted (1962) that looked good without stripes. There are still teams that look good without stripes, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm over the Jags' uniforms and channeling all of that frustration and dislike to the Titans. If we're going to act like a mob to uniforms let's fight the true offenders together.

 

40529200354_e9185a5bfd_k.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.