NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted a bit about my predictions for the new Titans uniform set in their thread, but I'll go ahead and expand on them a bit in this thread. I don't have any kind of insider information whatsoever but I follow the team closely so these predictions are all based on general design trends I've noticed from the team recently along with a a lot of random guesses. Until rumors/leaks happen, this is the best I got. 

As far as logos, I expect no changes unfortunately. There could be a very small chance that the sword alternate logo is promoted to primary status as it is a fan favorite, but I don't think that will happen. There's an even smaller chance that they strip the flames from the "flaming thumbtack" to just use the shield, but again there's but little to no indication of that so I wouldn't expect it. 

For the possible design elements, I am fairly confident that the ancient Greek aspect of the Titans name will be featured heavily. For those unaware, the Titans unveiled a new mascot heavily decked out in armor with tons of Greek-inspired design elements this season, who can be seen here- 

LpNvuwv.jpg

brGcdEW.jpg

Outside of this mascot unveiling, the team has been pushing these same designs in social media pretty heavily and using clips from 300 at the games. It's all been a steady trend that has picked up more and more recently. It's interesting that the back of his cape features the shield from the current logo surrounded in that recognizable Greek pattern, a concept that originated here I believe. It could be a new logo, but again that is unlikely. I could also see the possibility of the flames becoming featured more prominently and even making their way onto the uniforms as the main design element or as a counterpart to the greek patterns. Outside of that, the tri-star that is extremely popular in here in Tennessee may be pushed. 

For uniforms, I am expecting a very modern design. Two-tone blue will still be most heavily featured but I would expect the inclusion of red and perhaps even silver as well. I am anticipating many mix and match options but for monochrome navy to be the default home combo. I'd bet that the helmet will not be white, but most likely columbia blue. I also think that a new number font will likely be introduced that possibly matches more closely to the current wordmark. 

TLDR: I am expecting very modern uniforms with greek inspiration at the forefront and the addition of red/silver to the classic two-tone blue. I hope that I am wrong in some of these predictions, but in the meantime I will remain cautiously optimistic. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, henburg said:

I've posted a bit about my predictions for the new Titans uniform set in their thread, but I'll go ahead and expand on them a bit in this thread. I don't have any kind of insider information whatsoever but I follow the team closely so these predictions are all based on general design trends I've noticed from the team recently along with a a lot of random guesses. Until rumors/leaks happen, this is the best I got. 

As far as logos, I expect no changes unfortunately. There could be a very small chance that the sword alternate logo is promoted to primary status as it is a fan favorite, but I don't think that will happen. There's an even smaller chance that they strip the flames from the "flaming thumbtack" to just use the shield, but again there's but little to no indication of that so I wouldn't expect it. 

For the possible design elements, I am fairly confident that the ancient Greek aspect of the Titans name will be featured heavily. For those unaware, the Titans unveiled a new mascot heavily decked out in armor with tons of Greek-inspired design elements this season, who can be seen here- 

LpNvuwv.jpg

brGcdEW.jpg

Outside of this mascot unveiling, the team has been pushing these same designs in social media pretty heavily and using clips from 300 at the games. It's all been a steady trend that has picked up more and more recently. It's interesting that the back of his cape features the shield from the current logo surrounded in that recognizable Greek pattern, a concept that originated here I believe. It could be a new logo, but again that is unlikely. I could also see the possibility of the flames becoming featured more prominently and even making their way onto the uniforms as the main design element or as a counterpart to the greek patterns. Outside of that, the tri-star that is extremely popular in here in Tennessee may be pushed. 

For uniforms, I am expecting a very modern design. Two-tone blue will still be most heavily featured but I would expect the inclusion of red and perhaps even silver as well. I am anticipating many mix and match options but for monochrome navy to be the default home combo. I'd bet that the helmet will not be white, but columbia blue or possibly even navy. I also think that a new number font will likely be introduced that possibly matches more closely to the current wordmark. 

TLDR: I am expecting very modern uniforms with greek patterns, possibly flames, and the addition of red or other accents to the classic two-tone blue. I hope that I am wrong in some of these predictions, but in the meantime I will remain cautiously optimistic. 

I've come to the exact same conclusions, but we don't have much to piece together.

13 hours ago, henburg said:

For uniforms, I am expecting a very modern design. Two-tone blue will still be most heavily featured but I would expect the inclusion of red and perhaps even silver as well. I am anticipating many mix and match options but for monochrome navy to be the default home combo. I'd bet that the helmet will not be white, but columbia blue or possibly even navy. I also think that a new number font will likely be introduced that possibly matches more closely to the current wordmark. 

TLDR: I am expecting very modern uniforms with greek patterns, possibly flames, and the addition of red or other accents to the classic two-tone blue. I hope that I am wrong in some of these predictions, but in the meantime I will remain cautiously optimistic. 

Speaking of the Titans I was struck by inspiration yesterday while not paying attention in a meeting and created this:

titans_dribbble.png

work in progress certainly, but just an idea I had to put a face on the titan. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

The Bengals need to go back to these endzones. No words just the stripes. BTW I wonder if the Bengals ever got lucky enough to go to the super bowl if they would bother with the stripes in the endzone.

PAUL+BROWN_3.jpg?format=1500w

They may have been okay on an orange background, but they looked horrible on that green background.  I don't think there has ever been a green tiger with black stripes.

As for the Super Bowl, the league has never strayed from a fairly standard template, so I don't expect they would in the case of the Bengals., who were "lucky" enough to play in it twice.

http://fields.gridiron-uniforms.com/controller/controller.php?action=super-bowls

4 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Off-topic (kinda)...but the Colts have been in Indianapolis longer than they were in Baltimore. Just saying.

We are only a few years away from Joe Buck & Troy Aikman working together longer than Pat Summerall & John Madden. 

iq5b7nF.png

On 1/23/2018 at 8:20 AM, Broken Record said:

These flame helmets have been circulating for years, but if they're going drastic, I could see something like this one. Probably with a leotard with flames from head to toe.

Strunk has done a good job of staying tight lipped.

2ldj21j.jpg

I love this even though it's a fan creation. Since there's no other NFL team with fire as part of its look, I think flame on the logo keeps it very unique and quickly identifiable.  That said, the current look is a hot mess...they tried way too hard to incorporate too much: fire, shield, sword AND the state flag.  They limited potential by having way too much going on.  And the thumbtack...even Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder knew it didn't look like a sword.

10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Speaking of the Titans I was struck by inspiration yesterday while not paying attention in a meeting and created this:

titans_dribbble.png

work in progress certainly, but just an idea I had to put a face on the titan. 

Nice work! I dig the replacement of the flames with wings. His appearance actually kind of reminds me of Coach Vrabel funnily enough. 

I was thinking more about the flames being featured on the helmets in the same vein as wings for the Eagles when I remembered that the Titans wouldn't be the first team to do that-

dCUA1Ew.jpg

M9i1FcB.jpg

Specifically taking inspiration from the Rhein Fire, I'd be interested to see what a potential Titans helmet could look like that still retains the full logo while enlarging it and moving it more to the front of the helmet. With some restraint, it could be a great helmet that helps give the Titans some more personality. At the same time, there would also be a huge potential for something way too garish and gimmicky for the NFL. 

spacer.png

Archived