NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

In case anyone cares,

My experience with helmets through dealing with Riddell and Schutt reps would suggest the following are standard in the helmet industry:

Impregnated (molded plastic color, almost always with a gloss clear coat)

Standard Gloss

High Gloss

Metallic

Metallic Flake (in the clear coat)

Lightning (cheaper semi chrome option)

Chrome

Matte 

Satin 

Those of you who struggle to define satin, my Riddell rep gave me the best verbal description I've heard: "Matte Metallic"

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

In case anyone cares,

My experience with helmets through dealing with Riddell and Schutt reps would suggest the following are standard in the helmet industry:

Impregnated (molded plastic color, almost always with a gloss clear coat)

Standard Gloss

High Gloss

Metallic

Metallic Flake (in the clear coat)

Lightning (cheaper semi chrome option)

Chrome

Matte 

Satin 

Those of you who struggle to define satin, my Riddell rep gave me the best verbal description I've heard: "Matte Metallic"

Thanx for posting this. I'm sure I won't be able to define them in casual conversation, but at least when I see the terms used, I can say I've seen those terms before!

So metallic is just a color, like gold or silver, while metallic flake is like the Giants example I posted earlier?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So metallic is just a color, like gold or silver, while metallic flake is like the Giants example I posted earlier?

The Giants' color is called "Metallic Kansas Blue," I believe.. 

For the metallic paint, they basically mix an extremely fine glitter into the paint.. It can be seen in proper lighting very well..

For example, our helmets are metallic white with red metallic flake (so painted with a glossy white paint that contains extremely high amounts of very fine white and silver glitter mixed throughout, covered in a clear coat containing larger, more sparsely distributed red glitter flakes).. It's one of those unique touches that is essentially unnoticeable most of the time, but occasionally catches the sunlight just right and really "pops".. 

Several teams use custom paint colors with some metallic in them, just to have a custom color that sets them apart - for example, the Broncos' "Colorado Blue" and the Chiefs' "Missouri Red", both look pretty much like a glossy impregnated shell color, but are actually painted..

And it was asked earlier and went unanswered, but yes, they paint whatever color shell is closest to the color they want.. So the Chiefs' red paint goes into a red shell (navy shell for the Broncos, yellow shell for the Packers, etc)

6 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

For example, our helmets are metallic white with red metallic flake (so painted with a glossy white paint that contains extremely high amounts of very fine white and silver glitter mixed throughout, covered in a clear coat containing larger, more sparsely distributed red glitter flakes).. It's one of those unique touches that is essentially unnoticeable most of the time, but occasionally catches the sunlight just right and really "pops".. 

Sorry if I missed it, but what are "your" helmets?  I'm having a really tough time picturing white paint that has red flakes in it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Sorry if I missed it, but what are "your" helmets?  I'm having a really tough time picturing white paint that has red flakes in it.

I'm a college equipment manager at a D2 school.. I'm referring to our team's helmets.. 

The white paint doesn't have the red flake in it, the clear coat does..

8 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

throwing together something quick here, ill need to double check the teams/schools i have listed, but thought something like this could be useful once we get it right

I'm not sure that the Chiefs and Packers belong in the same category as the Giants, their shell doesn't seem nearly as metallic. I feel like the Chiefs fall under shell color, and the Packers under standard gloss. The only other metallic one is Boise, who has the same color blue, but I'm having a terrible time trying to find a good image of it.

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

throwing together something quick here, ill need to double check the teams/schools i have listed, but thought something like this could be useful once we get it right

Mw02He1.jpg

Michigan is such an oddball, because, as I understand it, their helmet is maize, and the blue is painted over a template that masks off the Princeton wings.

Correct?

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Michigan is such an oddball, because, as I understand it, their helmet is maize, and the blue is painted over a template that masks off the Princeton wings.

Correct?

Yes. Paiting navy over maize is far easier than painting maize over navy. 

2 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

I'm not sure that the Chiefs and Packers belong in the same category as the Giants, their shell doesn't seem nearly as metallic. I feel like the Chiefs fall under shell color, and the Packers under standard gloss. The only other metallic one is Boise, who has the same color blue, but I'm having a terrible time trying to find a good image of it.

It doesn't show up as much as the Giants' metallic whatever does, but it's definitely there for the Packers. It was a real mind-blower when I first noticed it. I think it's most noticeable during night games, personally.

672d98a783304572e505394773b6955e--aaron-

7 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Mw02He1.jpg

Seahawks aren’t satin (they have a touch of gloss, and I really thought the term used was eggshell, but who knows), Chiefs are pearl, and University of Arkansas is satin. And I don't think the Buccaneers nor the Vikings are Hydroskin.  

Seahawks-Helmet.jpg

68001701.jpg

Buccaneers-helmet.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 hours ago, HailGoldPants said:

Made a matte finish Eagles concept a few years ago. I liked the idea of it, but when it actually came to fruition, I was kind of like, "Meh"...

eagles_kelly.jpg

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Needs to be midnight green. Those wings don’t work well on kelly. It’s arguable that they even work on the MG. 

I completely agree. While I love Kelly for the Eagles, the current iteration of the wing does not work well with it.

I've tried so many combinations of the Kelly and the wing (with various areas reshaded to different colors) and the only way to make it look decent is to go the way of the old wing and make the entire wing silver with/without the white keyline. At that point though, there really isn't much reason to keep the newer wing compared to going full throwback to the old helmet.

That being said, as noted in the NFL 2017 thread, the Eagles continued to use a different color Eagles logo throughout the season on social media that essentially replaced black with a darker version of midnight green:

nijSwL0.png

If they were to make any change, I could see it be closer to this (current left, "revised" right):

LhmMk0V.png

Either way, I see it as a lateral move. Though, personally, I would love to see the removal/tone down of black in their scheme. I just worry it would mute out too much.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It doesn't show up as much as the Giants' metallic whatever does, but it's definitely there for the Packers. It was a real mind-blower when I first noticed it. I think it's most noticeable during night games, personally.

672d98a783304572e505394773b6955e--aaron-

Yes, the Packers adopted a pearlized shell way back in 2001, to better match the shine of their uniform materials. 

Now that matte fabrics are all the rage, it’s no wonder that teams are changing their helmet finishes to match. 

Not sure how accurate this site is, but there's some interesting info regarding the paint colors and finishes on helmets:

http://www.helmetaddict.com/nfl-helmet-paint-color-guide/

Green bay Packers Paint Colors

6a00d83452a51d69e20147e259b6e5970b-800wi

Helmet Shell: Dark Metallic Gold/Yellow Facemask: Hunter Green

The Packers have one of the more trickier helmet shell colors in the NFL. If you go to the paint section of your hardware store you will notice that the selection of yellow just does not match the shell of the Packers. The Packers officially consider their yellow color Gold. I would consider it dark yellow in all reality. When it comes to rattle cans, your options are pretty limited for the Packers if you want an on-field match. You can order custom paint online or at a local paint store and they can put it in a spray can for you, but due to the minimums they set it can be pricey. If that is something you would be interested in, the official Pantone Color system code for Packers Gold is PMS 1235-C. Otherwise you can go to Ace Hardware and pick up a can of School Bus Yellow Tractor paint. It costs about five bucks and is a really heavy duty paint. I mean it, this is some serious paint. I was covered in yellow after painting my Packer helmet. To get the metallic finish you will have to use metallic silver and lightly spray from a distance using my metallic helmet technique.

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure how accurate this site is, but there's some interesting info regarding the paint colors and finishes on helmets:

http://www.helmetaddict.com/nfl-helmet-paint-color-guide/

Well, he's right about the Packers' Pantone color.  But that's hardly surprising, since they've put it on their website and in their media guide for the past decade or so.

As for the rest, a silver mist might be one way of re-creating the basic effect of the Packers' pearlized shell.  At least from a distance. But it's not what the club does.

30 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the more info i find, the more complicated this gets. on HGI's website they list the Seahawks helmet as "Hydroskin" but dont have the Vikings or Bucs in their portfolio, which i thought they painted.

Is the "hydroskin" aspect just the detail in the middle "stripe"?

This is just a mini helmet, but the "Stripe" actually looks like a decal, but the finish on the helmet does appear satin.  Never noticed that before.

ff_2517560_full.jpg&w=600

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, he's right about the Packers' Pantone color.  But that's hardly surprising, since they've put it on their website and in their media guide for the past decade or so.

As for the rest, a silver mist might be one way of re-creating the basic effect of the Packers' pearlized shell.  At least from a distance. But it's not what the club does.

I could swear I read on UW that they went to a standard metallic flake finish, but it may have been on one of the VV articles, pre-ESPN.

Regardless, it's funny how every so often the same discussions come up:

Archived