NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can jump in on a couple of things here

Blue - the Dolphins haven’t used blue in any marketing or creative in 4 years, except Youth Programs where we use the full palette to represent different camps for different times of year, so its been aqua, orange, and white for a while.

Gray - we’ve used a dark gray in various applications in marketing/creative in the 2 years ive been there because Aqua and Orange are such bright, powerful colors some neutrals are needed so everything doesnt over power your eyeballs. also, i feel like just seeing the Aqua tag on a graphic is just enough to make something recognizable as Dolphins brand, while letting gray, black or white do the rest.  

one color logo - the video with Walt is just the one color version of the logo, but theres actually 2 of them in our brand guidelines. the one in the video is actually considered the “wrong” one - the correct one color has the center of the sun as white, or the lightest color and the eyes are a bit different on each. 

Aqua - same as last year. team also had the Vapor unis last year too but what you’ll see in the collar should be a good reference for the Titans close up; that little mesh area is very see through so you’d see pads on the other side close up

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

834110946-baltimore-ravens-v-miami-dolph

Just ditch the blue outlines to make the orange outlines twice as thick. It would work on the helmet and the jerseys. I can live with the tweaked colors.

And I actually kinda like the current helmet logo.

The last few pages have reminded me of just how bad the Dolphins uniforms are now.  Take the logo out of the equation, and you still have:

1. Ridiculous number font - seriously, look at the 1 and 7.  Also, angles on some corners, rounded on others, it doesn't make any sense and unlike some of the custom fonts, doesn't add anything to the look or fit in with the context of the wordmarks or logo.
  2. The shade of blue/aqua is not quite teal, definitely not aqua, but in most photos seems closer to light blue than even teal.  
  3. The super-tiny thin outlines around the number are too thin to really make either worth anything.  At a glance, you'd be hard pressed to even see that there's navy or orange, let alone both.  Just commit to one or the other and go bold.
  4. The sleeve logo is smaller than the goddam swoosh!

The only thing I like is the size of the wordmark.  I don't like the style of it, but I think that's a good compromise between the little collar ones like the Eagles, and a LOL-sized one like Cleveland's.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Blue - the Dolphins haven’t used blue in any marketing or creative in 4 years, except Youth Programs where we use the full palette to represent different camps for different times of year, so its been aqua, orange, and white for a while.

Gray - we’ve used a dark gray in various applications in marketing/creative in the 2 years ive been there because Aqua and Orange are such bright, powerful colors some neutrals are needed so everything doesnt over power your eyeballs. also, i feel like just seeing the Aqua tag on a graphic is just enough to make something recognizable as Dolphins brand, while letting gray, black or white do the rest.  

one color logo - the video with Walt is just the one color version of the logo, but theres actually 2 of them in our brand guidelines. the one in the video is actually considered the “wrong” one - the correct one color has the center of the sun as white, or the lightest color and the eyes are a bit different on each. 

Aqua - same as last year. team also had the Vapor unis last year too but what you’ll see in the collar should be a good reference for the Titans close up; that little mesh area is very see through so you’d see pads on the other side close up

So what you're (not) saying is that the orange is definitely different this year.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

People keep referring to the darker color as "navy" and/or "blue", but when the new branding was unveiled, I think I recall it being referred to officially as "dark aqua".. Am I crazy? Or did that actually happen?

On 3/24/2018 at 6:36 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

The one thing that being a member of this board has taught me is you can't look at a random single photo and make any worthwhile assessment as to whether or not there has been a minor change in a uniform's color.

I can't tell which is worse, when there's dead activity or when there's a lot of arguing.

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

People keep referring to the darker color as "navy" and/or "blue", but when the new branding was unveiled, I think I recall it being referred to officially as "dark aqua".. Am I crazy? Or did that actually happen?

In the logosheet its just referred to as "blue", but that doesn't mean they didn't try to call it that initially.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

8 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

How do we know this guy isn't just a reddit troll?

/s

13 hours ago, WavePunter said:

its definitley blue, probably close to the Broncos’. i dont recall any refefence to “dark aqua” but its possible someone called it that. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

22 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

its definitley blue, probably close to the Broncos’. i dont recall any refefence to “dark aqua” but its possible someone called it that. 

Definitely not trying to be argumentative or start a huge debate, but just out of curiosity, I decided to compare it to other blues and teals across sports - based on RGB and CMYK codes alone, and the closest color (by a long shot) is the Jaguars' teal.. I just thought that was interesting.. And it sort of confirmed my perception of the color as a darker shade of the primary (similar to the Jaguars 2 golds or Seahawks previous 2 blues), that can be used mainly to enhance the team's primary color palette, rather than add to it - if that makes sense.. Basically, how the blue is used to add contrast and enhance the separation of aqua and orange, without adding a totally new and unique color.. It definitely feels reined-in a bit from the 1997-2013 identity's true navy..

48 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Definitely not trying to be argumentative or start a huge debate, but just out of curiosity, I decided to compare it to other blues and teals across sports - based on RGB and CMYK codes alone, and the closest color (by a long shot) is the Jaguars' teal.. I just thought that was interesting.. And it sort of confirmed my perception of the color as a darker shade of the primary (similar to the Jaguars 2 golds or Seahawks previous 2 blues), that can be used mainly to enhance the team's primary color palette, rather than add to it - if that makes sense.. Basically, how the blue is used to add contrast and enhance the separation of aqua and orange, without adding a totally new and unique color.. It definitely feels reined-in a bit from the 1997-2013 identity's true navy..

the PMS swatch is 7701c; thats certainly more blue than green. as far as being closer to Jag's teal than Denver's blue? i dont know, i think its a stretch but it is somewhere between the 2. 

(as an aside, if you're comparing the digital versions of those colors and the codes didn't come from ColorWerx though, i'd say you're likley comparing wrong representations of those colors. theres very few instances where CMYK or RGB values actually match the PMS well, even if they come from the League's brand guidelines— which is why ColorWerx does what he does.)

i have to disagree, like completely, on it not being a new color. even if it were just a shaded version of the primary Aqua, thats a new color. and one of the reasons we dont use it outside of the logo is because that blue doesnt provide any contrast at all— this is what you have with the stripes and numbers, blue between aqua and orange and it looks like the colors all bleed together; its really a muddy palette. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the PMS swatch is 7701c; thats certainly more blue than green. as far as being closer to Jag's teal than Denver's blue? i dont know, i think its a stretch but it is somewhere between the 2. 

(as an aside, if you're comparing the digital versions of those colors and the codes didn't come from ColorWerx though, i'd say you're likley comparing wrong representations of those colors. theres very few instances where CMYK or RGB values actually match the PMS well, even if they come from the League's brand guidelines— which is why ColorWerx does what he does.)

i have to disagree, like completely, on it not being a new color. even if it were just a shaded version of the primary Aqua, thats a new color. and one of the reasons we dont use it outside of the logo is because that blue doesnt provide any contrast at all— this is what you have with the stripes and numbers, blue between aqua and orange and it looks like the colors all bleed together; its really a muddy palette. 

i'm not sure what versions of the colors i was using (whether digital, league guidelines, etc).. they were from teamcolorcodes.com, which also provides the PMS swatch number - so maybe official, maybe not - i'm not sure..

also, based solely on the RGB code for the dolphins' regular aqua, it's also more blue than green, so that would align with the darker blue as well..

and lastly, i certainly understand that adding a darker shade is in fact adding a new color, but as in terms of enhancing the logo without truly adding another completely different random color, i think it's an even more subtle color addition than the true navy of the previous set - which is why i sort of categorized it differently than adding a completely new/different color.. also, i'd point to the last part of your previous comment as support for my original theory.. you don't use the blue outside of the logo because it doesn't provide much contrast, and the blue/aqua bleed together - because they're essentially shades/hues of the same color.. again, like the 2 golds used by the Jaguars - it enhances the logo (and imo - contrast on the numbers), without adding much else visually in the way a completely new and different color would.. which is why i prefer it to the navy used previously.. if the intention was to have a truly separate and different tertiary color, it would've been easy to just retain the navy from the previous set during the refresh - but the clean/streamlined look/feel of the new set likely called for more of a simplified 2-color scheme than a 3-color scheme, even though the 3rd color helped in a few ways visually, so they brought the 3rd color closer to the primary color to enhance the details of the logo/numbers/stripes without the jarring effect a daker/bluer navy would have.. 

this is all just speculation and theorizing on my part..

i'm a Dolphins fan and actually like a lot about the current brand identity (including the new version of the dark aqua/blue compared to the older navy), so none of this is bashing or criticizing, or meant to be argumentative -- just examining and theorizing out of curiosity.. and with you being an insider, i value your input!

Archived