NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

55 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

But the issue is that the HDTV argument is only ever used to defend weaker design choices (like colored numbers on colored jerseys).. Nothing can defend a poor design choice, and while silver numbers are acceptable on a colored jersey, Honolulu blue isn't the best base for contrast with silver numbers, and the dark grey outline doesn't help matters, regardless of tv definition quality.. A better silver for the numbers, white numbers, or a white outline would all be preferable to what they are doing 

I guess "weaker design" is a matter of opinion. It looks just fine to me.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/15/2018 at 7:03 PM, orangefaniniowa said:

Them and the Packers as well.  Let’s face it this Reebok template is getting old and hardly anyone uses it anymore.  I don’t understand why Green Bay and Carolina still uses it, maybe for sentimental reasons, I don’t know.  They could work with Nike and use the new template without having to do any drastic changes to the jersey itself.  It’s likely too late to do something about it this upcoming season, but let’s hope for some change next year and beyond.

You've .... got that backwards. Nike could work with the Packers if they could produce a green jersey that was all the right color green. Failing to do that? The Packers have no need to even look at a Nike proposal.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

But the issue is that the HDTV argument is only ever used to defend weaker design choices (like colored numbers on colored jerseys).. Nothing can defend a poor design choice, and while silver numbers are acceptable on a colored jersey, Honolulu blue isn't the best base for contrast with silver numbers, and the dark grey outline doesn't help matters, regardless of tv definition quality.. A better silver for the numbers, white numbers, or a white outline would all be preferable to what they are doing 

My problem with your argument is the sweeping generalizations that you're making. It's one thing to want a white outline around the numbers, but saying that colored numbers on colored jerseys is a bad design choice is ridiculous. Sure, white would provide for greater contrast but it's really your personal preference as there's nothing illegible about that uniform.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You've .... got that backwards. Nike could work with the Packers if they could produce a green jersey that was all the right color green. Failing to do that? The Packers have no need to even look at a Nike proposal.

The Reebok jerseys are made by Ripon Athletics located in Berlin, WI.  Not sure if they're trying to support a local provider, and that's their reason for not switching.  It's fine with me if they can keep the colors continue to be consistent.

23 minutes ago, dbofox said:

The Reebok jerseys are made by Ripon Athletics located in Berlin, WI.  Not sure if they're trying to support a local provider, and that's their reason for not switching.  It's fine with me if they can keep the colors continue to be consistent.

I know. I was born and raised in GB.

Nike hasn't shown that it knows how to make a good green. For that reason, the Packers should have no interest in changing.

It's where I sit.

19 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I know. I was born and raised in GB.

Nike hasn't shown that it knows how to make a good green. For that reason, the Packers should have no interest in changing.

Sconnies are in the know. It was for everyone else's knowledge.  And agree, stick with Ripon for now

On 5/21/2018 at 2:40 PM, baymenxpac said:

consider this a jets update:

my take: they were going to announce that new uniforms are in the works, but (rightly) decided not to say anything. after all, LOTS of jets fans are going to be buying sam darnold jerseys this summer and fall. why tell people what they just bought is about to be outdated.

think it's fair to say we should put the jets on the watch list (no pun intended) for uni tweaks and/or a redesign in 2019 or 2020.

I think new alternates are definitely on the way but if I were the Jets I would be very very careful with any Bucs/Seahawks/Titans/Jags type goofy redesign. Learn from the Browns mistake that sort of stuff will not fly with our fanbase. 

Also how deeply is Darron Lee involved in all this? I mean basically some fan but a new uni on instagram. He jumped on it and it snowballed from there. But usually one player is not enough to spur this kind of change. It has to start from the top or from some other higher position. 

So with the Color Rash program broadly ending in 2018, lets look back at the experiment. 

Despite being initially themed as a color verses color matchup to liven up typically dead Thursday Night games, here's how it wound up:

Of 31 official Color Rush games, 22 featured an all-white uniform and only 9 were true color vs. color matchups. 

This is terrible. Fanatics is truly one of the worst things that’s happened to the sports merchandising business. So much generic, low quality crap.

Update:

This aspect is good and will presumably give a much wider array of options rather than 5-6 players per team. But if the quality is anything like I’ve heard from their tees and NHL jerseys (isn’t MLB doing this too?), it will be a significant downgrade.

57 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

This is terrible. Fanatics is truly one of the worst things that’s happened to the sports merchandising business. So much generic, low quality crap.

Update:

This aspect is good and will presumably give a much wider array of options rather than 5-6 players per team. But if the quality is anything like I’ve heard from their tees and NHL jerseys (isn’t MLB doing this too?), it will be a significant downgrade.

Rovell is a douche. Also there are many other licensees that make/sell fan gear so what becomes of them? I've browsed the fanactics nfl product and it makes the old reebok product look stylish and premium quality.

I can't see nike allowing downmarket quality apparel to have their mark on inferior product. I know the $100 minimum price point is a definite premium but lowering product quality further seems more apt for the nfl pro line brand. Overall now that fanatics has the big 4 locked up, I'm betting we will see a significant decline in product and design quality. Also these exclusive mega deals may seem all good now but give it 5 years and they will be in a world of hurt trying to make a profit after overpaying.

I don't think this is the first time a third party has made fan gear and put a major manufacturer's logo on it...seems like there were a number of times when a bunch of bulk merchandise had to be made and Nike (or Big Company X) contracted its business to other manufacturers, who just stamped the bigger company's logo logos on it

I do wonder what will become of the Legend (sublimated), Game (Nike's screened replica) and the Limited (higher end replica). Does Nike license those templates to Fanatics for production? Surely Fanatics won't have the regular old-school Pro Line replicas for everybody at $100...right?

Fanatics shirts are pretty low quality. Logos are often off-centered (either u/d or r/l) on shirts and they have that weird chemical smell when you open them.

I'm not sure if we'll see a decrese in design quality, and product quality seems like it's been on a downward slope for sometime. This move does have some potential relief for customers, as Fanatics rarely puts Nike stuff on sale, so by having all production in-house, there's a better chance of seeing Nike-logoed products on sale over the next 10 years to move product out the door. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It doesn’t help that the Fanatics customer service is terrible as well. On one purchase I had to make four different visits to chat with an online representative and received conflicting information each time. It’s a shame they have a monopoly on everything sports. 

Another example of how the swoosh (and other makers marks) are nothing more than advertising, not dissimilar to the patches on NBA jerseys. No different. Nike (and everyone else) is just paying for the space on the sleeve to put their logo, regardless of who actually designs and produces the jersey. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

It doesn’t help that the Fanatics customer service is terrible as well. On one purchase I had to make four different visits to chat with an online representative and received conflicting information each time. It’s a shame they have a monopoly on everything sports. 

Not saying you're wrong, but I've contacted them like three times, and each time I've experienced great service. One time, due to FedEx destroying the package, they credited me with a little extra FanCash (plus re-sent the item I ordered at no extra charge). I guess I've been a little lucky with their CS staff.

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Another example of how the swoosh (and other makers marks) are nothing more than advertising, not dissimilar to the patches on NBA jerseys. No different. Nike (and everyone else) is just paying for the space on the sleeve to put their logo, regardless of who actually designs and produces the jersey. 

We have to see how this plays out. Nike has a very similar model to apple where they do r&d,design, marketing and contract out manufacturing. The key is that their contractors are held to very high quality standards and build to their exact specs. What we don't know yet is if fanatics has free reign to do their own design and manufacturing and apply branding. If that case is reality then your observation is spot on.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Not saying you're wrong, but I've contacted them like three times, and each time I've experienced great service. One time, due to FedEx destroying the package, they credited me with a little extra FanCash (plus re-sent the item I ordered at no extra charge). I guess I've been a little lucky with their CS staff.

Huh, just depends on who you get I guess. I'm happy to hear about a redeeming experience though because it was painful for me. Hopefully if there's a next time for me it goes as smoothly as yours did.

I too have had no issues with Fanatics, and honestly their t-shirts are of decent quality.  Being of a larger build, ive always had issues with the Standard Nike/Adidas "athletic fit" shirts, and Fanatics has options in big and tall and larger sizes.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Fanatics rarely puts Nike stuff on sale

Thats because of Nike, not Fanatics.  Nike doesnt discount much of any product in retail, unless it gets to a discount retailer like Marshalls or Ross.

6 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Thats because of Nike, not Fanatics.  Nike doesnt discount much of any product in retail, unless it gets to a discount retailer like Marshalls or Ross.

Agreed, I'm just wondering if Fanatics will now have more say. Seems like they would have more ability to discount Fanatics-made Nike gear...but maybe not...

On 5/22/2018 at 9:47 PM, henburg said:

My problem with your argument is the sweeping generalizations that you're making. It's one thing to want a white outline around the numbers, but saying that colored numbers on colored jerseys is a bad design choice is ridiculous. Sure, white would provide for greater contrast but it's really your personal preference as there's nothing illegible about that uniform.

Actually, wanting a white outline is almost always a bad thing, so attributing that to me as a general preference is incredibly inaccurate.. I simply stated that it would be an improvement over their current configuration.. 

Also, it's not just my personal preference.. It's the organizational preference of EVERY NFL team.. Not including Color Rush, to my count, there are roughly 53 colored jerseys in the NFL.. Of them, 46 have white numbers.. 4 have "metallic" numbers (which is the same category as white for this application), and 3 have colored numbers, but all 3 are alternates (Browns brown, Titans columbia , 49ers black)..

I might've missed something, but you get the point..

With that said, the Lions are ok.. They fall within these "rules", but they've worn white numbers for decades (including the often acclaimed Barry Sanders era uniforms), and the reason is likely due to lower contrast between Honolulu blue and silver/light grey.. Their numbers are certainly legible, but they're not as good as they could be.. White (Or a better silver) would be superior - at least in terms of legibility and contrast

Archived