NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I feel like most articles about uniforms suck, but a couple quibbles aside, this is pretty spot-on.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/16/17567784/nfl-uniforms-upgrade-retro-throwbacks-panthers-falcons-chargers-browns

Wow.  I clicked expecting to roll my eyes at the usual fluff and nonsense, but you were right... not too much to argue with there.  Could've been written by a regular from this board.  Outdated modernism, Nike hatchet jobs, and clunky fauxbacks pretty much sums it up.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wow.  I clicked expecting to roll my eyes at the usual fluff and nonsense, but you were right... not too much to argue with there.  Could've been written by a regular from this board.  Outdated modernism, Nike hatchet jobs, and clunky fauxbacks pretty much sums it up.

Well, the Cardinals helmet HAS changed.  My only quibble.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I feel like most articles about uniforms suck, but a couple quibbles aside, this is pretty spot-on.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/16/17567784/nfl-uniforms-upgrade-retro-throwbacks-panthers-falcons-chargers-browns

Consider most are just lists of "bad" uniforms, but titled "worst," yeah...

This was good.  I liked the headings. "Outdated Modernism" is spot-on.

And most of what was said was sensible and my on quibbles are probably taste-based.  For example I LOVE the Browns brown facemask. And I don't think there's much good in Tampa, at least compared to what they had.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not convinced they understood why the Rams are doing what they are doing, either.  Not that it would be a defense, but a valuable clarifying point.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That really wasn’t written - or at least edited well. I’m not sure what critiques would give you Any indication that the author was a professional; it read very much like stuff posted here, but with even less substance. Too many “just go back to...”

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I mostly stopped reading when it said the person was an artist and NFL nerd. IMO, the point of having an "artist" look at the uniforms is to try to get an outsider's POV without all the biases that we regular fans bring to the table. There was a similar article a little while ago where the artist giving their opinion had no idea about history/rivalry; that was much more interesting, even if I didn't agree. If the artist is an NFL fan, they're basically just a CCLSC poster, as others have mentioned.

On 7/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

That really wasn’t written - or at least edited well. I’m not sure what critiques would give you Any indication that the author was a professional; it read very much like stuff posted here, but with even less substance. Too many “just go back to...”

exactly. i found it very thoughtless, like he was going for a snarky jab rather than offering an actual critique.

like the comment on the Cardinals, "the white shapes on the jersey don't accomplish anything". what he means to say is he doesn't like it, because it certainly does accomplishe something. and this is the difference between critique and opinion. im not the biggest fan of the Cards' jersey design either, BUT the design is their own and cannot be confused for any other team's. when viewing on TV, this is important because its shape and color that you "read" from tv angles. when you have a stripe or design element that is unique to 1 team, it accomplishes making that team distinct and instantly recognizable. the Cardinal's design works perfectly in that regard. why don't i like it? well, he's right that there is a clash of personality or eras— the helmet with the grey mask is at odds with the Reebok era design.

i also think "dated modernism" is a terrible term because the Reebok uniforms had nothing to do with a Modernism movement and because they are no longer in style, they are no longer within any contemporary design trends. i dont think that means they no longer work or are no longer attractive, (i still believe Atlanta is the NFL's best uniform) but i dont think we have a term to properly describe that style trend, outside of "reebok era". 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I actually really like the sideline caps for this season. No plastic metallic logos. No weird generic patterns.

It's nice to see them work in each team's striping into the design.

Obviously some work better than others, but they're better than we've had.

All of them are posted here.

I like the dark ones.  Not the gray ones.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I like the Giants road ones a lot.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived