NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

11 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Yeah, I'm coming around on those Jaguars uniforms after seeing them in person. Much better on-field than off, and a perfect of example of why it's sometimes best to reserve judgement until you see them in action.

Exactly. Seeing them in action on the football field, and not standing on a fashion runway stage, they look great. No pointless and random stripes and patterns. No gimmicks, just the team colors and logo. The Jaguars are going to make people rethink what a football uniform should look like. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Seeing them in action on the football field, and not standing on a fashion runway stage, they look great. No pointless and random stripes and patterns. No gimmicks, just the team colors and logo. The Jaguars are going to make people rethink what a football uniform should look like. 

We can certainly hope so. 

4 hours ago, daveindc said:

Exactly. Seeing them in action on the football field, and not standing on a fashion runway stage, they look great. No pointless and random stripes and patterns. No gimmicks, just the team colors and logo. The Jaguars are going to make people rethink what a football uniform should look like. 

too bad the mini helmet still has the light gold on the top of the logo and the dark in the middle. The new Dolphins mini has a bigger logo and is easy to see how much darker it is than the old.

5b6cfdfbac160.image.jpg

I loved seeing the Jaguars actually look like the Jaguars again. I especially loved seeing the teal-over-white paired with white shoes. So much nostalgia for me... 

FredTaylorRun.jpg

The biggest misstep they’ve made with this set is keeping black as the primary jersey. The signature look will always be teal-over-white, (with teal-over-black making a great alternate to that). 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

42 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

5b6cfdfbac160.image.jpg

I loved seeing the Jaguars actually look like the Jaguars again. I especially loved seeing the teal-over-white paired with white shoes. So much nostalgia for me... 

FredTaylorRun.jpg

The biggest misstep they’ve made with this set is keeping black as the primary jersey. The signature look will always be teal-over-white, (with teal-over-black making a great alternate to that). 

I shouldn’t be surprised how much the board loves these. But I am.

And how anybody can say the current set looks like the original boggles my mind. The originals had color and character and were visually interesting. The current resembles practice jerseys, and when the Jags wear them they’ll look like a team that forgot its main set. They could be a college team from Nike’s minimalist phase, and nobody liked that. Yet so many people are swooning over this trash. 

Within two seasons the board will be sick of these. 

People, just because you hated the jazzed-up previous set doesn’t mean you have to love the booooring and undercooked current set. 

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

And how anybody can say the current set looks like the original boggles my mind. The originals had color and character and were visually interesting. The current resembles practice jerseys, and when the Jags wear them they’ll look like a team that forgot its main set. They could be a college team from Nike’s minimalist phase, and nobody liked that. Yet so many people are swooning over this trash. 

People, just because you hated the jazzed-up previous set doesn’t mean you have to love the booooring and undercooked current set. 

I definitely don’t love them, I still wish they kept the previous number font & had more gold incorporated into the set. Although I still think they look like practice uniforms, knowing Nike’s run the past few years I imagine most people here would prefer a boring look over a Browns or Bucs style debacle.

To be fair, this is easily one of the best combos we’ll see the Jags wear with this set (black/teal/black would probably be my personal favorite), and is the one that looks most like the original. Once we start seeing them go black-out at home & have virtually no teal on the road, I have a feeling this set won’t be quite as revered as it is right now.

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

^ This right here. Sure, they look like the Jaguars again, just not "game day ready." These are still practice uniforms to me. Add a pant stripe, a logo, something to the pants and add some trim to those numbers and I'll be 100% on board with these. Until then, all I can say is "well at least the previous monstrosities are gone."

8 hours ago, daveindc said:

I'm not sure I really understand this idea, especially coming from a member of a sports logos and uniforms board. No decorative elements of football uniforms have any purpose, but they're still important in giving teams an identity. 

spacer.png

I agree that the Jags looked "big picture" good against the Saints. I could quibble over details (or lack thereof), but bottom line is they looked good.

I think the thing that the groundswell of positive feedback is missing is that they'll be a black/white team approximately 87.5% of the time.

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Well, there's degrees of scale when it comes to praise. I think these looked good, but only relative to my initial impression of them, which was pretty terrible. So these, put in historic context with their original set, are still really boring. There's a lot they could've done. 

But I think most here are reacting to the fact that these didn't look as awful as we thought they would. 

The new Jaguars uniforms remind me of Washington State. Bland, with each element essentially being only two colors. The Jaguars should have an interesting and unique color scheme, but they abandoned gold entirely and all but dropped teal from the primary uniforms. There's no stripe on the pants, no stroke on the numbers, and a barely visible stripe on the cuff of the jersey. Jacksonville should be owning the color scheme of black, teal, gold, and white, but right now they're effectively a black and white team with some hints of teal. And the reason I say they look like practice jerseys isn't just the simplicity of the design. Practice jerseys typically feature only the team's primary color and white, dropping all secondary and tertiary colors. When you compare these Jaguars jerseys to their uniform history, it looks like they've done exactly that. Not only are the stripes gone, but teal and gold are out too. The uniforms aren't bad per se, and they do have their good elements (helmet, font). However, they're just so far below the potential Jacksonville could reach. 

13 hours ago, daveindc said:

When they're wearing teal, yes, they look good. When they're wearing black or white jerseys with virtually no trace of teal...that won't.

5 hours ago, henburg said:

I'm not sure I really understand this idea, especially coming from a member of a sports logos and uniforms board. No decorative elements of football uniforms have any purpose, but they're still important in giving teams an identity. 

A team's colors and logos are what gives it an identity. There's no need for extra "decoration". This mentality is why we have the over-the-top costumes we have today. All these odd, random, pointless designs. I expect pushback on this from the creative members of this board, but I truly believe the Jaguars' look is the future of NFL uniforms.

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

A team's colors and logos are what gives it an identity. There's no need for extra "decoration". This mentality is why we have the over-the-top costumes we have today. All these odd, random, pointless designs. I expect pushback on this from the creative members of this board, but I truly believe the Jaguars' look is the future of NFL uniforms.

As the poster just said above you though, when they are wearing their black primary and white road jersey, they certainly won't look like the jaguars anymore.  This is the only combo they have, and will probably only wear it once.

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

When they're wearing teal, yes, they look good. When they're wearing black or white jerseys with virtually no trace of teal...that won't.

1 hour ago, jdavidev said:

As the poster just said above you though, when they are wearing their black primary and white road jersey, they certainly won't look like the jaguars anymore.  This is the only combo they have, and will probably only wear it once.

I agree that the lack of teal sticks out. I think it'll actually end up being a great look itself, just that for the Jags you would want to add teal somewhere.

12 hours ago, j'villejags said:

This is the kicker to me.

Great to showcase your colors, sure...for two or three games a year?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived