NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

1 minute ago, BJ Sands said:

If something looks like a practice jersey then it's fine to say it looks like a practice jersey. Those Jaguars uniforms look like practice jerseys.

And if an argument is lazy and repetitive, it's fine to call it lazy and repetitive. That argument is lazy and repetitive. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, if you don't like the new Jags look, that's fine. But, PLEASE, can we put to bed the lazy and repetitive "practice jersey" comment?  Show at least a modicum of creativity in your critique.

If you ask me, calling it a practice jersey is the practice jersey of arguments.

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: Only if we can get people to stop calling bad uniforms “clown suits” or “something an arena league team would use”. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Jaguars practice jersey;

bcplvoxysg4zi0zmktuv.jpg

Screen printed numbers, no collar spiked-stripe, no TV numbers, no NFL shield, minimum tailoring, cheap mesh material.

Jaguars game jersey;

fdlalino9j2ukxp3lwiu.jpg

Sewn numbers, design detail at the collar and at the cuff, TV numbers, NFL Shield, full tailoring, superior materials, etc...

I can certainly see anyone feeling that these are too simple, too plain, whatever you want to say.  But "practice jersey" shows a shocking and embarrassing lack of attention to details IMO. 

7 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I can certainly see anyone feeling that these are too simple, too plain, whatever you want to say.  But "practice jersey" shows a shocking and embarrassing lack of attention to details IMO. 

I, also have been shocked, yes, shocked by this lack of attention paid to oldschoolvikings' preferred terminology regarding jerseys. It is, indeed, shocking and, dost might one say... shocking and embarrassing, this... lack of attention to detail!

A fine and hot take, good sir! Tally ho!

34 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And if an argument is lazy and repetitive, it's fine to call it lazy and repetitive. That argument is lazy and repetitive. 

What makes it lazy and repetitive if it's also... correct?

If you have to point out all the ways these aren't practice jerseys, then they probably look too much like practice jerseys. Which these do. Since they look like practice jerseys.

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

18 times. The practice jersey comment has been parroted here 18 times this last week. If that doesn’t say lazy and repetitive...

I really don’t know what you people mean by it anymore. If I went blind the day before they were unveiled and only had some of y’all’s descriptions to go off of, I’d assume that the jerseys were blank except for the names and numbers, but they’re not. There’s a collar detail, a cuff detail, a logo, and a custom number font. That’s hardly any less than what the Saints, Dolphins, Giants, Ravens, or Raiders have. I can only imagine that the stark transition that they made from over-the-top/ridiculous to something far more reserved is what’s making some of you view them like there’s nothing on them at all.

I shouldn’t even have to argue against it looking like a practice jersey since there are some teams that certainly look far less ugly in their practice uniforms than their actual duds (not the least being the Jags before this year), but hey, the details are there. Failure to acknowledge them just comes off as.. well, ya know.. lazy.

24 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Jaguars practice jersey;

bcplvoxysg4zi0zmktuv.jpg

Screen printed numbers, no collar spiked-stripe, no TV numbers, no NFL shield, minimum tailoring, cheap mesh material.

Jaguars game jersey;

fdlalino9j2ukxp3lwiu.jpg

Sewn numbers, design detail at the collar and at the cuff, TV numbers, NFL Shield, full tailoring, superior materials, etc...

Outside of the construction of the jersey, the designs are virtually the same with the exceptions only being the collar spikes and TV numbers.

9 minutes ago, Gupti said:

18 times. The practice jersey comment has been parroted here 18 times this last week. If that doesn’t say lazy and repetitive...

I really don’t know what you people mean by it anymore. If I went blind the day before they were unveiled and only had some of y’all’s descriptions to go off of, I’d assume that the jerseys were blank except for the names and numbers, but they’re not. There’s a collar detail, a cuff detail, a logo, and a custom number font. That’s hardly any less than what the Saints, Dolphins, Giants, Ravens, or Raiders have. I can only imagine that the stark transition that they made from over-the-top/ridiculous to something far more reserved is what’s making some of you view them like there’s nothing on them at all.

I shouldn’t even have to argue against it looking like a practice jersey since there are some teams that certainly look far less ugly in their practice uniforms than their actual duds (not the least being the Jags before this year), but hey, the details are there. Failure to acknowledge them just comes off as.. well, ya know.. lazy.

OK, I'm a professional writer. I'll play along.

The uniform is a severe overreaction to the previous set. By eschewing any design whatsoever, the Jags have gone from a modern eyesore to a faux-traditional uniform that neglects one color (gold) and needlessly segregates the black and teal. There are few distinguishing marks on the uniforms, and multiple combinations could make Jacksonville look like a one-color team.

Is that takedown thorough enough? Asking you too, @oldschoolvikings.

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

this is basically how i feel as well. the long standing uniforms of the Raiders or PSU are able to be long standing classic because they’ve never looked dated or out of style, they’ve never had numbers that were hard to read (maybe Oaklands silver on white) so everything works well even as uniform and helmet design evolves. 

the Jaguars are not trying to steal history or place themselves into an era they dont belong, their uniforms are built on the same design principles as those others. when you have such a unique color as their teal, you dont need much more, so they can take a very simple approach to their design. and theres a “work clothes” look to them that makes you think they might have more in common with Oakland and NY Giants than the Seahawks or Titans. thats also the connotations they’d like to receive. 

Maybe if the Jags colors were just black and teal, but they have three colors and basically throw one out. They also have a contemporary logo/helmet, which IMo clashes with the minimalist uniform. 

38 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Jaguars practice jersey;

bcplvoxysg4zi0zmktuv.jpg

Jaguars game jersey;

fdlalino9j2ukxp3lwiu.jpg

I think you inadvertently strengthened the “practice jersey” argument. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

The uniform is a severe overreaction to the previous set. By eschewing any design whatsoever, the Jags have gone from a modern eyesore to a faux-traditional uniform that neglects one color (gold) and needlessly segregates the black and teal. There are few distinguishing marks on the uniforms, and multiple combinations could make Jacksonville look like a one-color team.

Much better ?

Although I'll have to take issue with the "eschewing any design whatsoever" part (despite the excellent use of "eschewing")... I think the spiked stripes outside the collar as well as the cuff color that widens towards the back are both clever and subtle design elements that are getting overlooked.  Just because something isn't loud and graphic doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

21 minutes ago, Gupti said:

8 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

These two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

1. It's 100% correct that the Jaguars over corrected from the previous set. They quite deliberately went from Baroque to Bauhaus in the blink of an eye. It is true, also, that the all black and all white combinations do have the potential to render the Jags almost a monochromatic as the Brooklyn Nets. 

2. That being said, it does not mean that the Jags new uniform are glorified practice jerseys and I'm also really tired of hearing that line as its been repeated ad nauseam since the reveal. The custom block carries most of the weight and the collar and cuff details only enhance the design. There is a lot of attention to detail in this uniform and it definitely looks good in action. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, if you don't like the new Jags look, that's fine.  Personally, if you flip the teal to primary and add a simple pants stripe, I might call it one of the best in the league. To each his/her own I guess.

But, PLEASE, can we put to bed the lazy and repetitive "practice jersey" comment?  Show at least a modicum of creativity in your critique.

If you ask me, calling it a practice jersey is the practice jersey of arguments.

yeah-well-thats-justlike-your-opinion-man-quickmeme-comm-14239172.png

Goodness, did anyone catch the Raiders game? It looked like they forgot their game uniforms and wore practice ones!

fKrKC8B.jpg

Can you believe that? Single color numbers on a blank jersey.

//sarcasm//

27 minutes ago, dont care said:

Outside of the construction of the jersey, the designs are virtually the same with the exceptions only being the collar spikes and TV numbers.

"Outside the stuff that makes it not look like a pracrice jersey, it looks like a practice jersey." 

Uh... Ok. Other than the striping, wordmark, TV numbers and white spots the Cardinals jersey looks like a practice jersey. You can do that to any team

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

A uniform can be clean and simple looking and not look like practice jerseys. That’s the case with the Jaguars. They absolutely look professional and well put together. It just so happens that they are rather bland and don’t have much personality.

This is what I would call “practice jerseys.” Obviously created with no design intent at all, simple block on cheap mesh jerseys.

photos.medleyphoto.10739784.jpg

The Jags’ game sets have a custom font and a number of (simple) design flourishes. While simple, they are clean and professional looking. It just so happens that their practice set also uses the custom number font and the chest logo patch.

Simple does not equal cheap.

Kinda silly how this thread is starting to devolve over personal opinions. Just like everything in life, there are contrasting views and a whole lot of grey in between. Doesn't need to get all personal. Every member who has posted about the Jag's uniforms looking/not looking like a practice uniform have made their stance and no amount of squabbling is going to change anyone's viewpoint.

Archived