8 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Daytona did it again with the final five laps taking an hour.

The dessert was great, but nearly everything leading up to the dessert and service really was unacceptable.

Sunday, I'll just tune in two hours after the green as they'll delay themselves in the last 30 laps.

So your not pumped for the 4 hour pre-race??!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gah! I was so excited for Almirola too. One of the few drivers left I really do enjoy.  

Good for Dillon I guess. Wish they'd so they replay again. I'm starting to think maybe he did dump him. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

Results from Daytona:

1. A. Dillon

2. Wallace Jr.

3. Hamlin

4. Logano

5. C.Buescher

6. Menard

7. Blaney

8. Newman

9. McDowell

10. Allmendinger

Stage 1 winner: Kurt Busch

Stage 2 winner: Blaney

20 years ago, Dale Earnhardt Sr drove the 3 to victory lane, tonight Austin Dillon will take that same number to victory lane. I really thought it was going to be Blaney. I'm also happy to see how Bubba did today! Very impressed with him! A lot of wrecks took out a lot of potential winners. I got to give Austin credit, kid drove like there was no tomorrow.

Next up Atlanta

baltimoreravens.png

What is it with the white flag leaders and restrictor plate races?

Last year, 3 of the 4 leaders with a lap to go didn't get to the checkered in front (Kyle Busch and Ryan Newman at Talladega, Kyle Larson at the Daytona 500). And the one other one- Stenhouse wasn't even on the front row when he won the July Daytona race.

23 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

A lot of people whined about how Austin won, basically dumping Almirola.

All these armchair quarterbacks; tell me. Wouldn't you do exactly what Austin Dillon did to win?

Any driver would've done what Dillon did with a half a lap to go.

Much as I hate to admit it, yeah. Aric (or any driver in Dillon’s place) would have done the exact same thing. 

Still doesn’t make it a scum move though. 

Almirola was a class act post-race. 

While i’m No fan of Austin Dillion (even before this race) It also does bother me that every time that they talk about him, they Always find a way to make it about Dale Sr. Just because he drives the 3 car. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

12 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

While i’m No fan of Austin Dillion (even before this race) It also does bother me that every time that they talk about him, they Always find a way to make it about Dale Sr. Just because he drives the 3 car. 

Its not just that, his grandfather is also Richard Childress so theres another historical connection to Dale Sr.

14 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

2 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Its not just that, his grandfather is also Richard Childress so theres another historical connection to Dale Sr.

It was also the weekend of the 20th anniversary of Dale Sr's. win in this race.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

OUCH!

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/02/daytona-500-ratings-overnights-low/

The Daytona 500 earned a 5.1 overnight rating on FOX Sunday, down 22% from last year (6.5), down 16% from 2016 (6.1), and the lowest for the race in at least ten seasons.

It is likely that the 5.1 is the lowest ever for the race, but overnights prior to 2009 were not immediately available.

Daytona 500 overnights have been declining for a decade, but the recent downturn has been especially sharp. The race has failed to crack a 7.0 overnight in four of the past five years, after hitting that mark in each of the previous five.

To put the numbers in perspective, three years ago the Atlanta 500 — not exactly on the level of Daytona — pulled the same 5.1 overnight.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, ozzyman314 said:

Still doesn’t make it a scum move though.  

This. If you get a run on a guy, make a pass. Otherwise, tough. Punting him is a scum move, and I wish NASCAR would black flag that type of thing. Make drivers actually, you know, drive!

Just because Earnhardt did it doesn't make it right. (That's the common defense I see of the move on the NASCAR Facebook page, for example.) 

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Results from Atlanta:

1. Harvick

2. Keselowski

3. Bowyer

4. Hamlin

5. Truex Jr.

6. Logano

7. Kyle Busch

8. Kurt Busch

9. Larson

10. Elliott

Stage 1 winner: Harvick

Stage 2 winner: Keselowski

Harvick just put on a clinic this race. Keslowski tried, Hamlin tried Kyle Busch tried but all couldn't stop Harvick's dominance. Nice tribute to Earnhardt Sr. at the end of the race. Harvick is looking good again this season.

Next up, the west coast swing begins in Las Vegas.

baltimoreravens.png

Call me a cynic, but it seems fishy that Harvick's car was that much better than everyone else's. It seemed like, in that last restart, that Harvick and Keselowski were as different as a prototype and a GTD at the 24 Hours of Daytona.

This is why I'm of the opinion that video of inspections should be made available somewhere, for the transparency. I'm not saying that the 4 skirted the rules. I'm merely saying that he was so much faster that it made me question what I saw.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

22 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Call me a cynic, but it seems fishy that Harvick's car was that much better than everyone else's. It seemed like, in that last restart, that Harvick and Keselowski were as different as a prototype and a GTD at the 24 Hours of Daytona.

This is why I'm of the opinion that video of inspections should be made available somewhere, for the transparency. I'm not saying that the 4 skirted the rules. I'm merely saying that he was so much faster that it made me question what I saw.

My father has a hunch that certain years, certain manufacturers are given more leniency with the rules which allow those teams to perform better.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:24 PM, DNAsports said:

My father has a hunch that certain years, certain manufacturers are given more leniency with the rules which allow those teams to perform better.

See, I'm not smart enough about that sort of thing to know that or think that. I do know that Daytona had a Chevy and Atlanta had a Ford. However, if Dillon doesn't punt Almirola, then you have SHR winning both races. I can tell you that SHR has all four of its drivers in the top ten in points to this point (Harvick at 4, Bowyer at 5, Ku. Busch at 8, and Almirola at 10).

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

What really drives me nuts, and makes me wonder sometimes... is when the announcers spend the entire weekend hyping up one racer as THE guy to beat, even talking about said racer in the other series telecasts, focuses on that driver the entire pre-race and throughout the race, then that driver ends up winning. I get it that statistics show certain tenancies at different tracks, and if this happened once in a while it wouldn't be completely terrible. But I feel like more often than not, I can watch the first 5 minutes of qualifying and predict who will win the race on Sunday just by the comments the announcers make. 

Archived