Crabcake

So the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles drafted a guy from Australia that's never played American football in his life.  He's a 6'5" 350lb rugby player that they're going to try out at tackle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do they call the last guy picked in the draft "Mr. Irrelevant" when there's dozens of guys that didn't even get drafted but still get signed?  Considering the number of undrafted players that make teams and have decent careers, is the last guy drafted really irrelevant?  Seems really disrespectful to call someone that on the biggest day of his life.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

Are kickers not football players?

Of course they are and it's not because he's a kicker. It's just that Dawkin's is a.) an Eagles' legend, b.) 2018 Hall of Fame inductee and c.) actually one of the best players at his position to ever do it.

And Akers isn't even one of the better kickers in NFL history either. It was just a weak choice, considering who the Eagles could have brought out.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

26 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Pretty sure the Eagles brought out Akers just to troll Dallas; he's had a reputation as a bit of an agitator, hasn't he?

Honestly couldn't tell you. I really don't remember him as much as I remember other 2000's Eagles players. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

8 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Honestly couldn't tell you. I really don't remember him as much as I remember other 2000's Eagles players. 

He was on the team forever, and at one point held at least one nfl record for career accuracy, and was in a bunch of pro bowls. He was also a martial arts guy that murdered a few guys that would otherwise have run kicks back. He was there during the whole mcnabb era. Obv kickers aren’t superstars, but I’m surprised a fan of a rival nfc east team wouldn’t recognize him or at least his name. 

I do agree that it was an odd choice, and he hasn’t been affiliated with the team in any way for years now. Sounds like a scrawny redneck- reminds me of WWE’s Jamie Noble from 10 years ago or so. 

EDIT: apparently he was inducted into the Eagles HOF this past year, which might explain why they used him.  I didn't know that.

Eagles are bringing back Darren Sproles.  Kinda surprised by this, since he's coming off a bad injury and may not even be ready by start of season.  If he does recover, they'll at least add a returner to their arsenal, since they didn't have anyone after he went down last season.  Media seems to think he'll lead all of their RBs in plays (not touches) - not sure how I feel about that since they have two studs in front of him.

58 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It'll be interesting to see how the 1st round QB's do over the next decade because right now, the best crop of first round QB's over the last 20 years has been 2004.

I'll save the rest of you a search: Eli, Rivers, Roethelisburger and, LOL, JP Losman.

Remember when 1999 was supposed to be a game-changing QB draft? Couch, McNabb and Akili Smith went 1-2-3. Dante Caulpepper and Cade McNown were also in that draft and while Caulpepper was next-level for one season, only McNabb really had a great career.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

It'll be interesting to see how the 1st round QB's do over the next decade because right now, the best crop of first round QB's over the last 20 years has been 2004.

My predictions:

Mayfield: Will go on to have a fairly good career with the Browns, won't be anything close to a total bust like Manziel. I think with the right team around him, he will probably lead them to a playoff appearance or two. Will probably end up being the 2nd best QB coming out of this draft. (Best career comparison: Sam Bradford)

Darnold: I joked earlier that he's Sanchez 2.0, but I don't think he'll flame out the same way Sanchez did. The turnovers are an issue, but I actually think he'll become a fairly decent starting QB for a long time. I just don't see him ever living up to the "3rd overall pick" hype. (Best career comparison: Alex Smith)

Allen: You guys already know how I feel about this pick. Allen has all the physical tools to become a great QB, but he has accuracy/timing/footwork issues and most experts will tell you that you just can't fix that stuff over time. Everybody thinks this kid is going to be Carson Wentz 2.0, but Wentz was actually much more polished coming out of NDSU and nobody ever question his accuracy or footwork. At his best, he won't be any more effective as a starter than Tyrod Taylor was. I hate to say it, but I predict Allen will be another first round bust for the Bills. (Best career comparisons: J.P. Losman/E.J. Manuel/Brady Quinn)

Rosen: I think Rosen will prove himself to be the best QB of this class. He landed in the most ideal situation for him (will sit behind Bradford until an inevitable injury occurs, has great weapons and a solid running game behind him, plays home games in a dome). The Cardinals got a steal at the 10th pick. There's always the potential that he could end up like Matt Leinart with his injury history, but I think he'll become an All-Pro level starter for a long time. (Best career comparison: Matt Stafford)

Jackson: I remember when everyone thought that Troy Smith was going to be the future franchise QB for the Ravens back in '07. But I think Jackson has WAY more talent and he has the benefit of sitting behind a proven starter for at least a full year. I think his ceiling is somewhere at the Tyrod Taylor level, but he's still a huge wild card. I think he'll be productive in the future, but nowhere near the level of a first round QB. (Best career comparisons: Kyle Boller/Vince Young)

I think this class of QBs will be more similar to the 2014 class than the 2004 class. Maybe two guys will go on to have long careers (ala Carr & Bortles), and the rest will either be career backups or complete busts. As far as I know, no other QB draft class in history will ever be able to live up the hype as the '83 and '04 classes did.

Comparing anyone to Sam Bradford is damning with faint praise.  Bradford has accomplished nothing and can't even stay healthy.  The only thing he's ever succeeded in is cashing checks.

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I'll save the rest of you a search: Eli, Rivers, Roethelisburger and, LOL, JP Losman.

Remember when 1999 was supposed to be a game-changing QB draft? Couch, McNabb and Akili Smith went 1-2-3. Dante Caulpepper and Cade McNown were also in that draft and while Caulpepper was next-level for one season, only McNabb really had a great career.

Matt Schaub had a few decent years with Houston.  People forget that he's in the same draft class as Eli, Rivers and Big Ben. 

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Comparing anyone to Sam Bradford is damning with faint praise.  Bradford has accomplished nothing and can't even stay healthy.  The only thing he's ever succeeded in is cashing checks.

13197.png&w=350&h=254

........and looking like a serial killer in his team photo. 

45 minutes ago, Wings said:

13197.png&w=350&h=254

........and looking like a serial killer in his team photo. 

That's nonsense... He does not look like a serial killer. I mean, he looks totally normal when you see him in Madden. Just a regular lookin' dude, nothing strange ab––

1dchxfxtx5mz.jpg

OH GOD HE'S DEFINITELY A SERIAL KILLER

On 4/28/2018 at 10:27 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Why do they call the last guy picked in the draft "Mr. Irrelevant" when there's dozens of guys that didn't even get drafted but still get signed?  Considering the number of undrafted players that make teams and have decent careers, is the last guy drafted really irrelevant?  Seems really disrespectful to call someone that on the biggest day of his life.

I'm pretty sure that's mostly a holdover from the days when the draft was 25-30 rounds long.  The guy picked at the end of one of those drafts probably was pretty irrelevant.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

16 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

My predictions:

Mayfield: Will go on to have a fairly good career with the Browns, won't be anything close to a total bust like Manziel. I think with the right team around him, he will probably lead them to a playoff appearance or two. Will probably end up being the 2nd best QB coming out of this draft. (Best career comparison: Sam Bradford)

Darnold: I joked earlier that he's Sanchez 2.0, but I don't think he'll flame out the same way Sanchez did. The turnovers are an issue, but I actually think he'll become a fairly decent starting QB for a long time. I just don't see him ever living up to the "3rd overall pick" hype. (Best career comparison: Alex Smith)

Allen: You guys already know how I feel about this pick. Allen has all the physical tools to become a great QB, but he has accuracy/timing/footwork issues and most experts will tell you that you just can't fix that stuff over time. Everybody thinks this kid is going to be Carson Wentz 2.0, but Wentz was actually much more polished coming out of NDSU and nobody ever question his accuracy or footwork. At his best, he won't be any more effective as a starter than Tyrod Taylor was. I hate to say it, but I predict Allen will be another first round bust for the Bills. (Best career comparisons: J.P. Losman/E.J. Manuel/Brady Quinn)

Rosen: I think Rosen will prove himself to be the best QB of this class. He landed in the most ideal situation for him (will sit behind Bradford until an inevitable injury occurs, has great weapons and a solid running game behind him, plays home games in a dome). The Cardinals got a steal at the 10th pick. There's always the potential that he could end up like Matt Leinart with his injury history, but I think he'll become an All-Pro level starter for a long time. (Best career comparison: Matt Stafford)

Jackson: I remember when everyone thought that Troy Smith was going to be the future franchise QB for the Ravens back in '07. But I think Jackson has WAY more talent and he has the benefit of sitting behind a proven starter for at least a full year. I think his ceiling is somewhere at the Tyrod Taylor level, but he's still a huge wild card. I think he'll be productive in the future, but nowhere near the level of a first round QB. (Best career comparisons: Kyle Boller/Vince Young)

I think this class of QBs will be more similar to the 2014 class than the 2004 class. Maybe two guys will go on to have long careers (ala Carr & Bortles), and the rest will either be career backups or complete busts. As far as I know, no other QB draft class in history will ever be able to live up the hype as the '83 and '04 classes did.

Lamar Jackson’s ceiling is not Tyrod Taylor. His ceiling is higher than any QB in this draft with his athleticism and arm. He could be the real-life incarnate of Madden 04’s Michael Vick.

Is it likely he reaches those heights? Who knows... but that’s why it’s a CEILING.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:27 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

The concept doesn't make much sense now, but when Mr. Irrelevant began, the draft went for 17 rounds.  So for the most part, the last pick was a formality which got reported in the papers and was never heard from again.  That's obviously no longer the case, but now they do enough special stuff for it (such as a trip to Disney World) that guys actually want to be drafted last.

34 minutes ago, NicDB said:

The concept doesn't make much sense now, but when Mr. Irrelevant began, the draft went for 17 rounds.  So for the most part, the last pick was a formality which got reported in the papers and was never heard from again.  That's obviously no longer the case, but now they do enough special stuff for it (such as a trip to Disney World) that guys actually want to be drafted last.

Has any Mr. Irrelevant actually had a decent NFL career? Doesn't have to be a star, but sticks around for a few years and makes a contribution.

2 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Has any Mr. Irrelevant actually had a decent NFL career? Doesn't have to be a star, but sticks around for a few years and makes a contribution.

Well, there's Jim Finn (1999), who was the Giants fullback for 4 years, and Ryan Succop (2009) is currently the Titans kicker.  

This is becoming more common now that the draft is being ended much earlier than in the past.  

My point is that there's plenty of guys that don't even get drafted that go on to have good careers.  At least "Mr. Irrelevant" was though of highly enough to be drafted - seems like a degrading and unnecessary label to put on someone.

Archived