Crabcake

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summary:

No more running starts for the kick coverage team.  They have to line up within a yard of the ball.

5 players on each side of the ball at all times.

At least 8 of the receiving team's blockers need to be within 15 yards of scrimmage and there's no blocking in that zone until the ball hits the ground or is caught.

More wedge restrictions

More restrictions on the exact placement of players to basically eliminate "gunners" or anyone getting a big running shot at a returner or the last 3 blockers.

more verbiage...

No need to kneel on the ball, you can just let it hit the turf in the end zone.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

I feel like these new rules are going to hinder the receiving team more than the kicking one. 

Me too.  And that’s fine with me.  I prefer long drive to long returns.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm sure we have to tread lightly on this topic, but it's a key part of the NFL offseason, as opposed to, well, you know.

I bet the NFL regrets that time it starting bringing players out. (2009 or so?)  When this first became an issue I was wondering why I did not hear about it in college.  Oh yeah, they're in the locker room in college.

Anyway, given that NFL painted itself into this corner, I actually like what they've done here (depending on #5).  The best thing would be to just do it when everyone's still in the locker room, but that would never fly.

1. That language is for the fans, particularly "show respect" but also ties into #2.
  2. This is the piece I like best.  I am not a fan of forced patriotism and this leaves the option open.  The fans, who hate snowflakes, by the way, don't have to "see" this happen.  Of course, there will be people ready to jot down all the names of who is and is not out there, but that's going to happen regardless.
  3. Goes along with #2 and I think it's a decent solution.
  4. Lame, but I guess #1 won't work without some teeth.
  5. This is unclear to me.  Are they saying the teams can force patriotism if they choose?  If so, that's stupid because it puts everyone right back where they were.  The teams that don't force patriotism will be vilified. So they all will.  It looks like the league may be putting this on the teams to be the enforcers of what may become a defacto league policy.  Kinda like how every state used 21 as the drinking age even though it's a state law.  Then again, "consistent with the above rules."  So what does this really mean?
  6. Given the commissioner's history of making up punishments as he goes (and that tends to be on fan/media reactions) this could be very interesting, though I tend to doubt it will come up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I told you, the NFL is going to be the MAGA-adjacent league now more than ever. Watching football to own the libs will be part of what it means to be a conservative going forward.

I'm not surprised that the NFL would choose to announce that it supports police brutality against black people (because that's specifically what the protests were about, not any vague concept of patriotism) and doesn't support the rights of its union members. That's what they seem to want to be now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I told you, the NFL is going to be the MAGA-adjacent league now more than ever. Watching football to own the libs will be part of what it means to be a conservative going forward.

I'm not surprised that the NFL would choose to announce that it supports police brutality against black people (because that's specifically what the protests were about, not any vague concept of patriotism) and doesn't support the rights of its union members. That's what they seem to want to be now.

When's the next CBA?  NFLPA will put that on the chopping block, priority 1.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

This was well on its way to being a non-issue until the NFL made it an issue again. 

Yeah pretty much no one was talking about it in the last half of the season and playoffs but half to go and blow this mess wide open agian. I seriously dont understand why the leauge didn't just go to their network partners and tell them to not show it when this issue first started it would have killed the controversy and let the players have their protest in front of the fans in the stadium so they feel like they are still doing something. To me it really start to feel like the leauge wants all these controversies because they will drive ratings or something stupid like that because all of them over the past 5/6 years have seemed really damn preventable or easy to work around. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

The NFL is by far the league I grew up with the least sentimental attachment to because my family wasn't really into football and the Bears were bad. I had a couple years somewhere between 2010-2014 where I didn't watch a single quarter of football and didn't miss it. As the NFL chooses to emphatically support police brutality and the consequences of that choice play out, I think I can check back out and not miss a great deal, no matter what the new kickoff rules are.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, masterchaoss said:

Yeah pretty much no one was talking about it in the last half of the season and playoffs but half to go and blow this mess wide open agian. I seriously dont understand why the leauge didn't just go to their network partners and tell them to not show it when this issue first started it would have killed the controversy and let the players have their protest in front of the fans in the stadium so they feel like they are still doing something. To me it really start to feel like the leauge wants all these controversies because they will drive ratings or something stupid like that because all of them over the past 5/6 years have seemed really damn preventable or easy to work around. 

The anthem protests are going to be a big story this fall no matter what the NFL does or doesn't do, the current President and his politcal party are going to be making it an issue for the mid-term elections.

36 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

2021 I think. HELLO LOCKOUT.

Locking its players out because of the national anthem?  When did Gary Bettman become NFL commissioner?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

This is unclear to me.  Are they saying the teams can force patriotism if they choose?  If so, that's stupid because it puts everyone right back where they were.  The teams that don't force patriotism will be vilified. So they all will.  It looks like the league may be putting this on the teams to be the enforcers of what may become a defacto league policy.  Kinda like how every state used 21 as the drinking age even though it's a state law.  Then again, "consistent with the above rules."  So what does this really mean?

It seems to me that this is precisely what the league is encouraging individual franchises to do.

Note that the new policy states that "[a] club will be fined by the league if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and Anthem". In other words, the NFL is not going to be in the business of disciplining individual team personnel - including players - for failing to adhere to the league's new Anthem policy. Rather, the league is going to discipline clubs, via fines, for violations of the Anthem policy. The clubs themselves will be responsible for determining internal disciplinary measures for said violations.            

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It will be interesting too see how this plays out.  The NFL's fanbase is disproportionately made up of those who love America almost as much as owning libs.  But starting with the Hall of Fame game, we're going to have a list of the good guys (those out there standing) and the bad guys (those in the locker room).  If the latter is a long list, you might still get the MAGA crowd boycotting. 

MAGA may boycott.  Some socially-vocal people on the other side may boycott.  Who knows?  If MAGA continues to stay away, the league will probably find itself forced to mandate national...er, patriotism.  Then (if not before) I'm out but I think forced-patriotism probably serves the league better than allowed-activism.

If the NFL could do one thing over it would be not hiding head trauma research not having players on the field for the anthem.

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

When's the next CBA?  NFLPA will put that on the chopping block, priority 1.

NFLPA has historically been the most milquetoast union since the 1980s lockouts.

I'll believe it when I see it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And NY Jets Chairman, Christopher Johnson will pay fines for his players.  

“I do not like imposing any club-specific rules,” Johnson said. “If somebody [on the Jets] takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players. I never want to put restrictions on the speech of our players. Do I prefer that they stand? Of course. But I understand if they felt the need to protest. There are some big, complicated issues that we’re all struggling with, and our players are on the front lines. I don’t want to come down on them like a ton of bricks, and I won’t. There will be no club fines or suspensions or any sort of repercussions. If the team gets fined, that’s just something I’ll have to bear.”

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/national-anthem-christopher-johnson-fines-1.18700702

Archived