NHL Greatest Uniforms

tomh22

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Ark said:

Anyone?

Looks too much like a graduation gown to be used full time.  Maybe as a one-off.

7 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Sorry, even though I understand why the team went retro with the original blue & green colors, IMHO the 1997-2007 Deep Blue, Deep Red, Sky Blue, Silver unis were the best. 

I liked those jerseys too but their current colour scheme is so much better.  Better for the Canucks to celebrate their own history instead of ripping off the Colorado Avalanche.

7 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

This is the perfect way to feature Johnny Canuck as the primary. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83520835@N04/shares/bsC097

The logo Admiral posted would be a much better option than another roundel.  They wouldn't even have to change anything else on the jerseys.  Just switch it from the Orca and script or if they wanted, pair it with the script.

7 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

This is the perfect way to feature Johnny Canuck as the primary. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83520835@N04/shares/bsC097

That looks like a decent shoulder patch to me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The 1997-2007 Canucks set was awful. As bad as the Spaghetti Skate set was, at least there was a kitsch factor. The Orca Bay/West Coast Express set was so generic, soulless, and grim.

brendan-morrison-of-the-vancouver-canuck

That is peak turn-of-the-millennium dullness.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The 1997-2007 Canucks set was awful. As bad as the Spaghetti Skate set was, at least there was a kitsch factor. The Orca Bay/West Coast Express set was so generic, soulless, and grim.

brendan-morrison-of-the-vancouver-canuck

That is peak turn-of-the-millennium dullness.

I love those jerseys, but

Canucks current colours are WAY superior.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

Looks too much like a graduation gown to be used full time.  Maybe as a one-off.

That is just a Photoshop.

I think this but in green and blue would be amazing, especially for a team that has had trouble finding an identity.

f3f4483ac16355853b6698be8bda1443--nhl-je

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

The logo Admiral posted would be a much better option than another roundel.  They wouldn't even have to change anything else on the jerseys.  Just switch it from the Orca and script or if they wanted, pair it with the script.

The idea of a Johnny Canuck V was always appealing to me but the Johnny V-Head constantly gets Vachon Cakes logo comparison. Also, JC's tilted back head looks very awkward. 

What I really like about the roundel that I posted is that it's different from other roundels. JC stands out more by not being entirely encased inside the ring. Also, the team wordmarks are tilted off-centre. The ring itself is not overwhelmingly thick and its colour pattern is similar to the Stick In Rink.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

I wouldn't necessarily call their 1997 set awful by any stretch of the imagination. Sure it was bit on the generic side, but it was a clean non-gimmicky set. I prefer the white jersey over the navy one because of the better color distribution with the striping.

252641626_15b09625f6_b.jpg

I can't go wrong with either their previous or current sets. Both solid looks in my opinion.

1 hour ago, gsn93 said:

I wouldn't necessarily call their 1997 set awful by any stretch of the imagination. Sure it was bit on the generic side, but it was clean non-gimmicky set. I prefer the white jersey over the navy one because of the better color distribution with the striping.

252641626_15b09625f6_b.jpg

I can't go wrong with either their previous or current sets. Both solid looks in my opinion.

Too bad Bure had to wear this depressing Orca Bay uniform. How awesome it would have been to have him wear the original/current colours with the classic Stick In Rink or Johnny Canuck.

8 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Too bad Bure had to wear this depressing Orca Bay uniform. How awesome it would have been to have him wear the original/current colours with the classic Stick In Rink or Johnny Canuck.

Too bad the Canucks didn't stick with their original scheme for their entire tenure.  Sure, they would have had a few different logos and likely a phase with navy and silver in the late 90's but they wouldn't have their current reputation of always changing things.  That reputation is also why I'd like to see the current uniforms stick around.  10 years of the same set is almost unheard of for this franchise.

37 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Too bad the Canucks didn't stick with their original scheme for their entire tenure.  Sure, they would have had a few different logos and likely a phase with navy and silver in the late 90's but they wouldn't have their current reputation of always changing things.  That reputation is also why I'd like to see the current uniforms stick around.  10 years of the same set is almost unheard of for this franchise.

I totally agree. Here's the thing....Morgo, I know you love the orca and I still have a fondness for the Skate and the black, yellow and orange/red. However, the Canucks should have kept the original '70-'72 uniforms with the classic Stick In Rink with the distinctive white V's on the arms. Johnny Canuck could've been added the shoulders and some white added to the outside of the green stripes on the blues.

How great it would have been to have Kurtenbach, Pat Quinn, Smyl, Linden, Bure, Naslund, the Sedins, Boeser, etc, etc wear the same Canucks identity. 

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

However, the Canucks should have kept the original '70-'72 uniforms with the classic Stick In Rink with the distinctive white V's on the arms.

I disagree.  The 1972 update vastly improved the striping configuration which is why you see it used on their jerseys today.  The number one rule with a blue/green/white scheme is that the blue and green should never touch.  The blue jersey from their original set violates this rule egregiously.  The white jersey is fine enough but I still prefer the current configuration on the road.

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

I disagree.  The 1972 update vastly improved the striping configuration which is why you see it used on their jerseys today.  The number one rule with a blue/green/white scheme is that the blue and green should never touch.  The blue jersey from their original set violates this rule egregiously.  The white jersey is fine enough but I still prefer the current configuration on the road.

5 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I totally agree. Here's the thing....Morgo, I know you love the orca and I still have a fondness for the Skate and the black, yellow and orange/red. However, the Canucks should have kept the original '70-'72 uniforms with the classic Stick In Rink with the distinctive white V's on the arms. Johnny Canuck could've been added the shoulders and some white added to the outside of the green stripes on the blues.

How great it would have been to have Kurtenbach, Pat Quinn, Smyl, Linden, Bure, Naslund, the Sedins, Boeser, etc, etc wear the same Canucks identity. 

Morgo, regarding the original blue jersey, read my initial post again -> last part of the last sentence in the first paragraph. :)

Also, didn't you not like the white V's on the arms?

I prefer the Orca over anything else the Canucks used, more so than rink with the stick, the skate and Johnny Canuck. Take a real close look at the Orca logo....it has Native American ( or First Nation) art included in it, synonymous with the Pacific Northwest. How can any of the other previous logos remotely even come close to representing the Canadian Pacific region?

Next, I really liked one of the most infamous uniforms of the modern era, the Islanders 94-95 Gordon fisherman unis. Not the fisherman logo itself, but wavy stripes/ color combination set them apart. Oh wait is that too Corporate too?

What you think is Corporate, I define as original; what you think as generic, I define as traditional.  And before you label any professional sport as corporate, let me remind you it's a business, and nowadays, they have taken pretty much all of the sport out of it, and emphasized the corporate aspect into it.

I think the Haida art aspect of the orca is a little overblown. So the facial features look a little like a totem pole. I don't think there's a long tradition of carving orcas that jump out of a frozen ocean along impossible trajectories. It's a bad logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/9/2018 at 2:17 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

Morgo, regarding the original blue jersey, read my initial post again -> last part of the last sentence in the first paragraph. :)

Also, didn't you not like the white V's on the arms?

Sorry, I saw that after I made my post.  I still think the current striping configuration is perfect for the Canucks and that going back to the 1970 version, even with the tweaks you suggested, would be a downgrade.  As for the V's, it was nice seeing them return on the 40th anniversary jersey as a one-off but I don't think they're strong enough to be used full time.

On 2018-01-10 at 12:31 AM, Tygers09 said:

I prefer the Orca over anything else the Canucks used, more so than rink with the stick, the skate and Johnny Canuck. Take a real close look at the Orca logo....it has Native American ( or First Nation) art included in it, synonymous with the Pacific Northwest. How can any of the other previous logos remotely even come close to representing the Canadian Pacific region?

Next, I really liked one of the most infamous uniforms of the modern era, the Islanders 94-95 Gordon fisherman unis. Not the fisherman logo itself, but wavy stripes/ color combination set them apart. Oh wait is that too Corporate too?

What you think is Corporate, I define as original; what you think as generic, I define as traditional.  And before you label any professional sport as corporate, let me remind you it's a business, and nowadays, they have taken pretty much all of the sport out of it, and emphasized the corporate aspect into it.

This seems overly antagonistic. 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:48 AM, Morgo said:

Sorry, I saw that after I made my post.  I still think the current striping configuration is perfect for the Canucks and that going back to the 1970 version, even with the tweaks you suggested, would be a downgrade.  As for the V's, it was nice seeing them return on the 40th anniversary jersey as a one-off but I don't think they're strong enough to be used full time.

I just noticed this,, but the Vs would actually work better on their current jerseys because they wouldn’t get bisected by the center stripe. Instead they would terminate cleanly into the white on the edge of the stripes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived