ECHL/AHL Mountain Series 2019

DTConcepts

Sorry for the spam of outdoor games recently, but I've been on an inspiration kick for 'em. I went to a Colorado Eagles game not too long ago, and I realized that the fanbase is dedicated as hell. I know that already, living in Northern Colorado, but they treat the team like an NHL one up there. And what did the NHL just do? The WInter Classic. I put two and two together, and decided to make the ECHL's second ever outdoor game, the ECHL Mountain Series.

pres1_png.png

The logo was inspired by a few things. The Colorado flag, obviously, the Rocky Mountains, and the colors of the teams involved. I think it's a kind of complex color scheme, but it oddly fits together. I like it, because it's a nice mix of complex and simple. And seeing as how CCM likes to get their logo shoehorned into anything the league makes, I had to throw that in there. It fits, but just barely.

Anyways, here's the premise of the series. The ECHL usually has "series" of games as it stands, where two teams play two or three times over the weekend. I figured it'd be a good opportunity to take two dedicated fanbases and take them outside for one of the weekend stints, and make a spectacle out of it. Therefore, I decided to make the Utah Grizzlies and Colorado Eagles face off at UNC's Nottingham Field for three outdoor games to take place on the 28th, 29th, and 30th of December, 2019. I chose Nottingham Field for the venue because the teams don't have the fanbase big enough to pack, say, Colorado State Stadium, but they could definitely fill this one. At the end of the series, the "Mountain Series Cup" will be given to the team who won 2/3 of the games, kind of like the MLS' Rocky Mountain Cup. It'd be a fun weekend for two of the teams with the most dedicated fans in the ECHL to play outdoors in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains.

pres2_png.png

Jerseys are fauxbacks, as there isn't a whole lot to go back to with either of these teams. The Eagles have the Colorado 'C' on their chests, as they're the sole ECHL team in the state, and their striping patten follows that of their primary Eagle logo. The Grizzlies, on the other hand, are really just based on old hockey sweaters, and not one club or idea in particular. In the early 20th century, teams loaded up their jerseys with stripes, so that's what I did with these ones, along with a fauxback logo sporting the silhouette of a grizzly bear, and the state's name beneath it. Both jerseys feature the team's modern logos as shoulder patches, and adapt to a new CCM throwback template made for the game.

That's that! What do you guys think? Again, sorry for spamming the boards with all these concepts, I've just been on a kick for the past few days.

I like the concept, unfortunately Colorado is moving to the AHL, next season.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Something just doesn't sit right with me about this logo, design-wise. It might be because the sides of the crest bulge outward ever so slightly, kind of throwing off the balance between curves and the straight lines of the mountains. Maybe if you made the sides straight and the bottom of the crest more angular, it would work better, like a home plate with mountains sitting on top.

Also I think the white, green and red outlines are too thick and draw the eye away from the important information in the middle of the crest. Plus it's too many colours. I get why you want to have both represented, but if Colorado is the home team, then focus on their colour scheme. I believe that's what the NHL does with its Winter Classic logos. 

I'm not really digging the fonts either. The serif and sans serif fonts are just similar enough to throw things off. The serif font is just clunky overall as well. I'd probably set "MOUNTAIN" and "SERIES" in the same font, and "2019" in a different, smaller font to establish a visual hierarchy in the text. 

And I'd probably swap the Colorado emblem out for the ECHL logo. I don't think the Colorado emblem is necessary, and the ECHL logo would look better there rather than seemingly tacked on to the top corner of the crest.

9 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I like the concept, unfortunately Colorado is moving to the AHL, next season.

Crap. I'll fix that in this post. I totally forgot.

7 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Something just doesn't sit right with me about this logo, design-wise. It might be because the sides of the crest bulge outward ever so slightly, kind of throwing off the balance between curves and the straight lines of the mountains. Maybe if you made the sides straight and the bottom of the crest more angular, it would work better, like a home plate with mountains sitting on top.

Also I think the white, green and red outlines are too thick and draw the eye away from the important information in the middle of the crest. Plus it's too many colours. I get why you want to have both represented, but if Colorado is the home team, then focus on their colour scheme. I believe that's what the NHL does with its Winter Classic logos. 

I'm not really digging the fonts either. The serif and sans serif fonts are just similar enough to throw things off. The serif font is just clunky overall as well. I'd probably set "MOUNTAIN" and "SERIES" in the same font, and "2019" in a different, smaller font to establish a visual hierarchy in the text. 

And I'd probably swap the Colorado emblem out for the ECHL logo. I don't think the Colorado emblem is necessary, and the ECHL logo would look better there rather than seemingly tacked on to the top corner of the crest.

I had the idea for the home base shape, but seeing as how baseball isn't played at the host venue, it seemed unrealistic. I fixed the color, because you're right, and I fixed the fonts too. The Colorado 'C' was a good idea, but after putting in the ECHL (Now AHL) logo in its place, you're totally right. All good points.

So anyways, here's the fixed logo.

pres2.png

And here's the new team, with updated colors on the same jersey.

pres1.png

I went for the Wild because the Avs and them have a rivalry, and it'd be a good way to get these two teems off on the right (maybe wrong) foot.

What do you think about the update?

Archived