same name, same team, same number

Ferdinand Cesarano

Every time I see the Nets' Joe Harris wearing no. 12, I think of Lucious Harris.

QX3IKUs.png

A half-credit goes to Rondae Hollis-Jefferson wearing the no. 24 that will always be associated with Richard Jefferson.

oERlHh5.jpg

I think the most famous example of this phenomenon is Jack Clark and Will Clark both wearing no. 22 for the Giants.

GTzLuvV.png

Recently I saw someone walking around wearing one of those Yankee t-shirts that improperly feature the player's name.  It said "JOHNSON 41".  And I thought: "Wow, that guy sure is a big fan of Cliff Johnson!"  Then I remembered about Randy Johnson.

f4FdBxY.png

A case from international soccer is Tomas Müller wearing the no. 13 for Germany that had been worn by Gerd Müller.

XU6yb24.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting topic.  The impact is kinda lost with a team like the Yankees who don't have names on any jerseys (or even with a uniform change like that Nets example), but it's amusing to see that Clark example.  Those were both good players...and anyone that has a history of buying jerseys has had their jerseys become outdated.  It would have been great to have had your Jack Clark jersey become viable again. 

As soon as I saw the thread, I thought this had happened to one of my teams, but I'm not recalling who...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Guess I'll be going down this research rabbit-hole for the next couple weeks. Here are the first ones I could find where pictures of both were available:

Phil & Alton Ford wearing #1 for the Houston Rockets.

2037-632917RepFr.jpgAltonFord.jpg

Gus & Shammond Williams wearing #1 for the Seattle Sonics

gus-williams.jpg37a355029c8b45ac8eea4286130a3717.jpg

Marcus & Terrence Williams wearing #1 for the New Jersey Nets

amd-nets-williams-jpg.jpg9123471-large.jpg

Joe & Wesley Johnson wearing #2 for the Phoenix Suns

883-t1821046-340.jpgWesley+Johnson+Andre+Iguodala+Phoenix+Su

It's kinda silly to post photos of the front of people's jerseys, since the entire topic is based on matching backs

You all fail, except for the Will/Jack Clark pic - that was pretty great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived