Don't Call it a Comeback: The Grand Return of the XFL (New York Posted 6/11)

Bruins

10 hours ago, Bruins said:

Boston: I'm not sure I'm totally sold on Bruisers anymore, it really doesn't have anything to do with Boston, and tying to the city is a large factor for me in choosing a name. Undecided. Really like BiB's Massacre and MSF's Rebellion suggestions, although I wanted to go a different route than the Rev. War, they're the best options so far. I actually tend to prefer Massacre ever so slightly as far as names alone go even though Rebellion's been suggested multiple times, since it's so close to Revolution. I don't however know how well I could work w/ a red coat theme, which makes me lean back towards Rebellion. Becoming one of the harder choices.

Rev. War is so overused for Boston.  Perhaps something Civil War could work, given Massachusetts played a big role on the Union Side?  Perhaps the Boston Beasts (after General Benjamin "Beast" Butler of the Union Army, who went on to be Governor of Mass).  You could make the logo a Union General.

Benjamin%20Butler_0.jpg?itok=1QvPb7P0

Here's a photo of Butler.  Not a scary guy on his own, but political cartoonists of the day went hog wild with him.

Butler+2.gif

So, that's an Idea.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know he's not from Boston but depending if you wanted to do a sorta New England franchise. Might I suggest an identity based off one of Providence's famous writers, HP Lovecraft. Go with the name Madness or Elders, and go with a Cthulhu theme 

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

I still think Stampede might be more suitable for Texas, especially as it was already pointed out that STL had a previous Stampede team already. I'm still behind Gatekeepers, especially since I can imagine a mascot with a knight's helmet that incorporates the Gateway Arch in some way. Barring that, how about St. Louis Arsenal, named for the existing complex (which was also a Civil War flashpoint)?

8VvwoNps.png

18 hours ago, Darknes said:

I know he's not from Boston but depending if you wanted to do a sorta New England franchise. Might I suggest an identity based off one of Providence's famous writers, HP Lovecraft. Go with the name Madness or Elders, and go with a Cthulhu theme 

This is also a very good idea.  You could put some wild stuff on the helmets.  I could see something you'd usually see spray-painted on a panel van.  Perhaps it could be done so Offense has Yog-Sothoth helmets, the defense has Cthulhu helmets, and the special teams have Shub-Niggurath helmets?  Seems like an XFL-like stunt.

13 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

This is also a very good idea.  You could put some wild stuff on the helmets.  I could see something you'd usually see spray-painted on a panel van.  Perhaps it could be done so Offense has Yog-Sothoth helmets, the defense has Cthulhu helmets, and the special teams have Shub-Niggurath helmets?  Seems like an XFL-like stunt.

Boston Madness like Boston, Mass. (Which also goes with Boston Massacre)

rATMcmK.png

Boston- New England Nightmare/Madness (inspired by HP Lovecraft)

California Shock: California gets plenty of Earthquakes, 

Chicago- Enforcers (the old XFL team), reflects Chicago's mafia past, or the Butchers reflecting Chicago's history as a meatpacking center

Detroit- Muscle, obivously for reasons that don't need an explanation

Las Vegas: Las Vegas Marshalls, reflecting Nevada's Western past, the Las Vegas Venom (a lot of snakes), or the Bandits

New York- Gargoyles or Empire

St. Louis: Outlaws (reference to the famous outlaw Jesse James, who was from Missouri), 

Texas-  Launch, reflecting Texas' contribution to the space industry, or the Stampede, an unstoppable force and a reference to TX's cowboy heritage

Expansion suggestions:

Florida (Miami/Orlando/Tampa): Hurricanes (one of the most destructive forces of nature, which Florida has been battered by in the past), Surge (storm surge),  Thunder (Florida has been affected by lightning more than any other state)

Indianapolis Speed- Reference to the Indy 500

Atlanta Firebirds: Atlanta is known for being a city that rose from the ashes

Arizona (Phoenix)- Scorpions

Boston - Night Riders, Rebellion, New England Liberty

California - Sea Lions, Tar Tigers, Aftershock, Quake

Chicago - Wind, Wndstorm, Hitmen

Detroit - (I like Muscle a lot)

Las Vegas - Gamblers, Snake Eyes, Neon

New York - (I like Gargoyles a lot)

St. Louis - Gatekeepers, Explorers, Rivermen, Archers

Texas - Outlaws, Wranglers, Rustlers, Gunslingers, Armadillos

Expansion Ideas

Birmingham- Steel or Vulcans

Cincinnati - Cannons (Twin Sister Cannons)

Cleveland - Rock, Riff

Indianapolis - Torch (due to state flag, plus cool name)

Jacksonville - Kraken

Philadelphia -  Americans 

Miami - Barracuda

Seattle - Orca

The original XFL totally ignored animal names and the New XFL should do the same.

Boston MUSCLE

Los Angeles(not California) ROCKERS

Chicago ENFORCERS

Detroit THUNDER

Las Vegas OUTLAWS

New York JUSTICE

St. Louis ENERGY

Dallas(not Texas) TERROR

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Lv4IX22.jpg?1

Hard at work on Detroit, but thought I'd share a few facets I have so far, including a teaser ad, wordmark, and of course color scheme.

uvKf6AC.jpg

raTqTWA.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

1 minute ago, MSO94 said:

Got to say. Some of these names are just Way 2 out there. This is a real football team you would be naming not some ESPN Sports fantasy team you and your drunk buddies have.

Well the names are staying true to the style of the original XFL where there was teams like the Memphis Maniax, New York Hitmen. They were always meant to be extreme.

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

9 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

If you wanted to use a Horse-based name for St. Louis, how about the St. Louis Harras? 

Another name for Boston could be the Express, or Xpress, as it would pay homage to Boston being the 1st US city to have a subway system & well, it'd be different. 

If you've ever ridden the T in Boston, you'd know there's nothing Express about it. :D

mainescarf.png

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah, way to put a damper on the festivities there Vince. Turns out the only thing that will be extreme about the new XFL is being receptive to your fans. Utterly radical. But I suppose in this age where ignorance is bliss but there's no more ignorance, concussions and players actually staying safe out there trumps you know, all that other stuff. Therefore this will stay a more true update of the XFL and a way for me to vent about how tame things have become these days. And I wasn't even alive during those days.

Now on a separate note, after much thought and tinkering, I am finally finished with the Insignia, Proxy, and Character logos for the Detroit Muscle. My question to you is from now on would you like to see me break the seal with the roll out of the main trio of logos followed by uniforms and other goodies, or release everything all at once? I might add after really diving in I'm really excited about the identity, I love the creativity this series allows and I think I'll thrive in it. However, I couldn't do it without your guys great ideas and feedback, so thank you!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Archived