CS85

The Guardian rebrands

Looks pretty good in practice, both in print and on the web. Not sure about losing the shades of blue, which were fairly well-identified with The Guardian. But I do like it overall, more than I thought I would.

to sum it up in a sentence, i'd say the aesthetic is "they've gone from internet news, to print news". i wonder if a general newspaper design is becoming just retro enough to be cool now? theres a lot of things that are right about that look. it feels like the wordmark has moved out of the college dorm and into a sweet, Victorian house. it's grown up well. i dig it 

12 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

to sum it up in a sentence, i'd say the aesthetic is "they've gone from internet news, to print news". i wonder if a general newspaper design is becoming just retro enough to be cool now? theres a lot of things that are right about that look. it feels like the wordmark has moved out of the college dorm and into a sweet, Victorian house. it's grown up well. i dig it 

It's a bitch to review designs that toe the line between retro and timeless.  It may just be semantics, really.  The blue shades of the original wordmark may have been unique to The Guardian, but it also smacked intensely of the original facebook scheme.  This feels like wrought iron.  Does that make it retro, or are they aiming for timeless?  I guess it's up to me.

I don't like how thin some of the letters get in parts.  To my brain, they're not fluid letters / words, more like lots of shapes that need to be pieced together to decipher what it is.  That's obviously an exaggeration, as that all happens in an instant, but to me at first glance, it's not as legible..

EDIT:  like the "r" for example.  It's almost two separate shapes connected by a thread.