Atlanta Hawks concept + NIKExNBA template

aawagner011

I'm not a big basketball guy (in fact, this is my first basketball concept ever), but I'm an Atlantan and very displeased with the Hawks uniforms. The shift to navy blue and red 10-15 years ago felt foreign (I know they had worn those colors before, but it was so long ago) but was at least relatively harmless. I was excited to see an emphasis put back on the Pac Man logo as they slowly reintroduced him. However, the way the redesign was executed left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

The red was very prominent. That much was good. Navy blue was out; also good. In its place was a dark gray...not the familiar black, but better, nonetheless. Where it really fell apart was the hideous volt. What a terrible color that looks so out of place! I also realize the Hawks have used lime green before, but they hadn't used it paired with these new colors. The red, gray, and volt felt like a cheap knockoff version of the Hawks I grew up with.

The Hawks have such great inspiration to pull from, and the current iteration with the feather pattern misses the mark. Overly detailed, poor color balance (can I say gaudy?), too trendy and already outdated. Definitely not "timeless."

I wanted to come up with a design that feels familiar for the Hawks but pushes the needle a bit. The Dominique Wilkins era uniforms were near perfect for the time but don't quite translate to today's NBA. The Hawks need to emphasize red, white, and yellow. The current red and black sets are screaming for some white to balance it out because the volt makes it look dirty and dingy. Black should definitely be used sparingly and in this case, I relegated it only to an alternate uniform. It works because black is familiar for Atlanta, but leaves the main uniforms untouched. Those sets don't need any black at all.

I took the forward looking graphic of the script and applied it throughout the uniform: the front and back number, as well as the NOB. I skipped name and number outlines in the interest of letting the design do the talking. It has a "loud" script so I wanted to keep the rest of the set fairly minimalistic. I originally had a contrasting collar and shoulder trim, but I got rid of those for the same reason.

I created the new Nike template from scratch and if there's interest I may release it. Still playing around with it and optimizing it for use. It includes all the various seams and mesh panels.

Artboard_1_0_5x.png

TEMPLATE RELEASE

I have tried to make this pretty user friendly. Just pay attention when you're changing the color of the uniform to also swap the inner garment color. There's a shadow layer and if you disable that layer's visibility, then you can click the inner garment color and swap that. I tweaked a couple things from my original design: got rid of the dashed stitching and just made it solid since it's hardly visible, anyways...added a jock tag, inner neck detailing, etc. The file is an Adobe Illustrator file (which I believe should also open and be compatible within Inkscape).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qnKqVYduUtFGMPYpiAdCT93F1Dt7s5Y0/view?usp=sharing

Artboard_1_0_5x.png

These are great! I only wish the Hawks would actually do something like this. The volt has got to go although I like the triangle pattern in principal because it’s a nice unique identity. It’s just used to prominently on the jersey. If something like this jersey concept was used, but only the stripe had the pattern in it, that would be a nice little mixture of eras. Plus I really did the pattern on the court.

On 1/17/2018 at 1:05 AM, aawagner011 said:

I'm not a big basketball guy (in fact, this is my first basketball concept ever), but I'm an Atlantan and very displeased with the Hawks uniforms. The shift to navy blue and red 10-15 years ago felt foreign (I know they had worn those colors before, but it was so long ago) but was at least relatively harmless. I was excited to see an emphasis put back on the Pac Man logo as they slowly reintroduced him. However, the way the redesign was executed left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

The red was very prominent. That much was good. Navy blue was out; also good. In its place was a dark gray...not the familiar black, but better, nonetheless. Where it really fell apart was the hideous volt. What a terrible color that looks so out of place! I also realize the Hawks have used lime green before, but they hadn't used it paired with these new colors. The red, gray, and volt felt like a cheap knockoff version of the Hawks I grew up with.

The Hawks have such great inspiration to pull from, and the current iteration with the feather pattern misses the mark. Overly detailed, poor color balance (can I say gaudy?), too trendy and already outdated. Definitely not "timeless."

I wanted to come up with a design that feels familiar for the Hawks but pushes the needle a bit. The Dominique Wilkins era uniforms were near perfect for the time but don't quite translate to today's NBA. The Hawks need to emphasize red, white, and yellow. The current red and black sets are screaming for some white to balance it out because the volt makes it look dirty and dingy. Black should definitely be used sparingly and in this case, I relegated it only to an alternate uniform. It works because black is familiar for Atlanta, but leaves the main uniforms untouched. Those sets don't need any black at all.

I took the forward looking graphic of the script and applied it throughout the uniform: the front and back number, as well as the NOB. I skipped name and number outlines in the interest of letting the design do the talking. It has a "loud" script so I wanted to keep the rest of the set fairly minimalistic. I originally had a contrasting collar and shoulder trim, but I got rid of those for the same reason.

I created the new Nike template from scratch and if there's interest I may release it. Still playing around with it and optimizing it for use. It includes all the various seams and mesh panels.

Artboard_1_0_5x.png

Really like these. Would certainly be interested in the template. 

Archived