Jump to content

Best Almost Super Bowl Matchups


MCM0313
 Share

Recommended Posts

We've already had multiple threads about the best-looking uni matchups in Super Bowl history. With the conference title games upon us today, let's look at some of the best ALMOST Super Bowl matchups. The rules are: 1. Both teams were in their respective conference title games that season. 2. One or both lost said title games. 3. They have never played each other in a Super Bowl in any year. 4. The pic posted shows the most likely uniform matchup if they had played that year. Here are a few:

 

Super Bowl XIV (1979 season) - Oilers vs. Buccaneers:

oilers-bucs_zpsorgsqmij.jpg?t=1516479222

 

Super Bowl XV (1980 season) among MANY others - Raiders vs. Cowboys (pic actually from 1980 season):

102979972_zps5xnnnihu.jpg?t=1516479625

 

Super Bowl XX (1985 season) - Dolphins vs. Bears (pic actually from 1985 season):

26804708_10105911250548434_9004416387507

 

Super Bowl XIV (1989 season) - Broncos vs. Rams:

rams-broncos_zpsd6ecioox.jpg?t=151647996

 

Super Bowl XXVIII (1993 season), the fourth time in a six-year span that both these teams were in their respective title games together; in fact, one or the other appeared in seven straight Super Bowls, but never both - Bills vs. 49ers:

107381422_zpsqexsuvdh.jpg?t=1516480658 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Super Bowl XV (1980 season) among MANY others - Raiders vs. Cowboys (pic actually from 1980 season):

102979972_zps5xnnnihu.jpg?t=1516479625

 

This photo reminds me that, when I was in sophomore year of high school, 1980-81, I had an English teacher who was very funny, and who used humour as a teaching technique. One time the word "expatriate" came up, and this teacher asked if anyone could name a famous expatriate. I raised my hand and said "Jim Plunkett"  (an ex-Patriot). Such was the tenor of that class that this sort of answer was appreciated.

 

Anyway, back to the thread.

 

While the Rams looked great when they went to Super Bowl XV, I can't help but wish that the Bucs had made it that year -- or any year with their beautiful original uniforms.  In fact, I would say that the 1979 NFC Championship Game qualifies as the best uniform matchup in the history of conference championships and Super Bowls combined.

 

 v2nPMnU.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ditka said:

Super Bowl XX 1985 Patriots - Rams

c0cb73da95f590239b170cca715180f6--nfl-ne

 

1. This matchup eventually happened, albeit with different unis on both sides.

2. Um, you're Ditka! You can't root against Da Bears!

3. How 'bout this one, for the same Super Bowl - Dolphins-Rams (unfortunately couldn't find a period-appropriate one with the Dolphins in aqua):

351541_zpsdwrsmnvm.jpg?t=1516486153

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's true.

 

But I think it's interesting that if the Tennessee Oilers had remained the Oilers for one more season, they could have gone to the Super Bowl as the Oilers instead of as the Titans. 

 

Actually, the Tennessee Oilers used the white uniform as their home uniform. So this would have been the matchup in Super Bowl XXXIV (sort of... the Tennessee Oilers also wore white pants)

 

american-football-running-back-eric-dick

 

wide-receiver-curtis-duncan-of-the-houst

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

1. This matchup eventually happened, albeit with different unis on both sides.

2. Um, you're Ditka! You can't root against Da Bears!

3. How 'bout this one, for the same Super Bowl - Dolphins-Rams (unfortunately couldn't find a period-appropriate one with the Dolphins in aqua):

351541_zpsdwrsmnvm.jpg?t=1516486153

 

Oops. Sorry for breaking rule 2. Just too nice a matchup to not mention. Much better than when they played in 2001 anyway. 

 

I tried like hell to upload a picture for the would- be 1988 Super Bowl of Bears-Bills to make up for theoretically erasing the 85 Bears, but I couldn't get the picture to upload from Getty. 

 

How is about this one: 

Super Bowl XVIII 1983 Seahawks-Redskins 1986-september.jpg?itok=SBM0k1Rb 

 

It's a shame the Largent led Silver helmet Seahawks never got to the Super Bowl. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Ditka said:

Oops. Sorry for breaking rule 2. Just too nice a matchup to not mention. Much better than when they played in 2001 anyway. 

 

I tried like hell to upload a picture for the would- be 1988 Super Bowl of Bears-Bills to make up for theoretically erasing the 85 Bears, but I couldn't get the picture to upload from Getty. 

 

How is about this one: 

Super Bowl XVIII 1983 Seahawks-Redskins 1986-september.jpg?itok=SBM0k1Rb 

 

It's a shame the Largent led Silver helmet Seahawks never got to the Super Bowl. 

It's a shame so many pre-2002 Seahawks teams were bad. They had some nice uniforms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

We've already had multiple threads about the best-looking uni matchups in Super Bowl history. With the conference title games upon us today, let's look at some of the best ALMOST Super Bowl matchups. The rules are: 1. Both teams were in their respective conference title games that season. 2. One or both lost said title games. 3. They have never played each other in a Super Bowl in any year. 4. The pic posted shows the most likely uniform matchup if they had played that year. Here are a few:

 

Super Bowl XIV (1979 season) - Oilers vs. Buccaneers:

oilers-bucs_zpsorgsqmij.jpg?t=1516479222

 

Super Bowl XV (1980 season) among MANY others - Raiders vs. Cowboys (pic actually from 1980 season):

102979972_zps5xnnnihu.jpg?t=1516479625

 

Super Bowl XX (1985 season) - Dolphins vs. Bears (pic actually from 1985 season):

26804708_10105911250548434_9004416387507

 

Super Bowl XIV (1989 season) - Broncos vs. Rams:

rams-broncos_zpsd6ecioox.jpg?t=151647996

 

Super Bowl XXVIII (1993 season), the fourth time in a six-year span that both these teams were in their respective title games together; in fact, one or the other appeared in seven straight Super Bowls, but never both - Bills vs. 49ers:

107381422_zpsqexsuvdh.jpg?t=1516480658 

 

 

 

I broke rule #4. If the Bills and 49ers had met in Super Bowl XXVIII, Buffalo woild have worn blue and San Fran white. If anyone has a pic of Jim Kelly playing the 49ers while wearing a blue uniform, please upload it. Otherwise I'm no better than Bill Belichick. Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seattle-seahawks-hall-of-fame-wide-recei

Had the Seahawks prevailed in the 1983 AFC title game, a Seahawks/49ers Super Bowl in Super Bowl XVIII would've given us this awesome matchup, visually speaking. :D

 

catsside1.0.jpg

And the same could be said for a Jaguars/Panthers matchup in Super Bowl XXXI. Can you believe these expansion brethren were one step away from the Super Bowl during the '96 season?

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, johnnysama said:

seattle-seahawks-hall-of-fame-wide-recei

Had the Seahawks prevailed in the 1983 AFC title game, a Seahawks/49ers Super Bowl in Super Bowl XVIII would've given us this awesome matchup, visually speaking. :D

 

catsside1.0.jpg

And the same could be said for a Jaguars/Panthers matchup in Super Bowl XXXI. Can you believe these expansion brethren were one step away from the Super Bowl during the '96 season?

The Expansion Bowl! I remember how weird that was, seeing both teams get so successful so fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ark said:

That's true.

 

But I think it's interesting that if the Tennessee Oilers had remained the Oilers for one more season, they could have gone to the Super Bowl as the Oilers instead of as the Titans. 

 

Actually, the Tennessee Oilers used the white uniform as their home uniform. So this would have been the matchup in Super Bowl XXXIV (sort of... the Tennessee Oilers also wore white pants)

 

american-football-running-back-eric-dick

 

wide-receiver-curtis-duncan-of-the-houst

Good point. I think an Oilers-Rams Super Bowl would've looked better with the Oilers in blue and the Rams in white, but I do remember the Oilers wearing white at home in Tennessee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

1. This matchup eventually happened, albeit with different unis on both sides.

2. Um, you're Ditka! You can't root against Da Bears!

3. How 'bout this one, for the same Super Bowl - Dolphins-Rams (unfortunately couldn't find a period-appropriate one with the Dolphins in aqua):

351541_zpsdwrsmnvm.jpg?t=1516486153

 

 

This is however most likely how the matchup would have looked. The dolphins went white all year with exception of a game against da bears. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came in to post Bills/9ers... anyone else remember Chris Berman make his annual SF/BUF prediction in a custom half-Bills, half-9ers jacket?

 

12 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

If anyone has a pic of Jim Kelly playing the 49ers while wearing a blue uniform, please upload it. Otherwise I'm no better than Bill Belichick. Lol

 

I'm pretty sure Kelly's only matchup against SF ever was the No-Punt game in '92, which was white vs. red... oddly enough, his most boring game vs. Steve Yong compared to their USFL barnburner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.