Best Almost Super Bowl Matchups

MCM0313

On 1/21/2018 at 6:33 PM, MCM0313 said:

I broke rule #4. If the Bills and 49ers had met in Super Bowl XXVIII, Buffalo woild have worn blue and San Fran white. If anyone has a pic of Jim Kelly playing the 49ers while wearing a blue uniform, please upload it. Otherwise I'm no better than Bill Belichick. Lol

Just change it to XXV, which was actually Giants-Bills. The Giants beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship and wore blue while playing the Bills.

There are no pictures of the 49ers in their 80s/early-90s white uniforms playing the Bills in their late-1980s-90s blue uniforms, because that game never happened. San Francisco always wore red jerseys at home in that era, and the 49ers didn't play in Buffalo between 1983 and 2008. And in 1983 the Bills still used white helmets with blue facemasks.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

Just change it to XXV, which was actually Giants-Bills. The Giants beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship and wore blue while playing the Bills.

There are no pictures of the 49ers in their 80s/early-90s white uniforms playing the Bills in their late-1980s-90s blue uniforms, because that game never happened. San Francisco always wore red jerseys at home in that era, and the 49ers didn't play in Buffalo between 1983 and 2008. And in 1983 the Bills still used white helmets with blue facemasks.

You mean 1983 and 1998. Still, San Fran would have updated their look by then. Thanks for that. Amazing that it took that long. 

On 1/23/2018 at 3:28 PM, McCarthy said:

Cool thread idea.

Here's a good one that hasn't been mentioned. 

1999 had the possibility of an all Florida matchup coming out of the final four in what would've both teams wearing their peak looks, but they both lost. The Jaguars only lost 3 games that season and they were all to Tennessee. The Bucs got hosed on the Burt Emanuel call.  

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Tampa+Bay+Buccanemcfarland.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

This belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread but I find it interesting that I'm in the vast minority in preferring the current look of both teams. Both come with big caveats in that I hate the Jags bi-helmet and the Bucs digital clock numbers, but I prefer the overall aesthetic for each of them. People LOVED those Bucs uniforms but I always found that pewter to be ugly and I hate logos on sleeves. I wish the Jags would go light blue/teal/whatever as their primary color uniform, but that jersey set just feels so generic to me for an expansion franchise.

But we'll never see 'em face off in the Super Bowl in their current jerseys anyway.

9 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

This belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread but I find it interesting that I'm in the vast minority in preferring the current look of both teams. Both come with big caveats in that I hate the Jags bi-helmet and the Bucs digital clock numbers, but I prefer the overall aesthetic for each of them. People LOVED those Bucs uniforms but I always found that pewter to be ugly and I hate logos on sleeves. I wish the Jags would go light blue/teal/whatever as their primary color uniform, but that jersey set just feels so generic to me for an expansion franchise.

But we'll never see 'em face off in the Super Bowl in their current jerseys anyway.

The Bucs' old pewter fabrics looked miles better than their new ones. It's probably the same color but different fabrics. Nike's hatred of metallic anything is so annoying.

I like the huge logos on the current helmet and think the flag looks good in bright red, but the 1997-2013 jersey and pants were vastly superior to the current, in my opinion.

How about 1980 Cowboys vs Chargers (both wore white at home that year, but Dallas would have been the designated home team that year so obviously they would have worn white).

Image result for 1980 cowboys chargers

And 1987, Vikings vs Browns (although the Browns the designated home team that year would have worn white because they wore white at home all year).

Ozzie Newsome : News Photo

And finally 2000 Vikings vs Ravens (an all purple Super Bowl) although the Ravens didn't play in Minnesota until 2009 so sorry no photos so here is the best scenario.

Qadry Ismail #87 : News PhotoImage result for 2000 minnesota vikings

15 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

XLIII in 2009 with the conference champs going the other way:

636467867656206058-USP-NFL-PHILADELPHIA-EAGLES-AT-DALLAS-COWBOYS-95467251.JPG vs. Image result for ravens at eagles

(or if the Eagles felt the need to follow the path of superstition)

c5ab7729dd8841c89a074d6c92cecfe0.jpg

(Sorry for a lack of effort on the pictures...couldn't find Ravens white/Eagles green)

The Eagles look better in green but the latter would have been a MUCH better matchup given the how much better the Ravens' purple jersey AND white pants are.

13 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The Bucs' old pewter fabrics looked miles better than their new ones. It's probably the same color but different fabrics. Nike's hatred of metallic anything is so annoying.

I like the huge logos on the current helmet and think the flag looks good in bright red, but the 1997-2013 jersey and pants were vastly superior to the current, in my opinion.

Interesting, I'm on the other end. The old one looked ugly to me and I HATE the shiny era of the NFL. Metallic looks only work for me in moderation.

I like the new pants and see nothing special about the old ones, especially given how much I hate the fabric/color.

54 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

The Eagles look better in green but the latter would have been a MUCH better matchup given the how much better the Ravens' purple jersey AND white pants are.

Interesting, I'm on the other end. The old one looked ugly to me and I HATE the shiny era of the NFL. Metallic looks only work for me in moderation.

I like the new pants and see nothing special about the old ones, especially given how much I hate the fabric/color.

That is weird. The Bucs' new pewter pants pretty neatly encapsulate my frustrations with the NFL's Nike-era looks. At the very least, if they're not gonna make that color metallic, they should just be honest and call it brown.

Archived