Super Bowl LIII logo

Pharos04

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right.  The Super Bowl should ideally have a consistent visual identity, not one that changes every year.  The NBA had it right with their Finals logo that became so identifiable, as did Major League Baseball in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with a World Series logo that took on a life of its own.

Image result for nba finals logo       Related image

The CFL Grey Cup had the system right....similar elements, but individual identities.

28f4773c1a3bcb76742c6955d3d87f85.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

When LII and LIII are next to each other I'd like to have something other than the color bar help me differentiate between games when I take a quick glance at the logo.

Did you mean simply adding the roman numerals to the host logos, like Houston? I agree with you on that.

Meaning if you are going to call this Super Bowl #52, it has some individual meaning to it. And the logo should show some individuality to the story of Super Bowl 52. It's going to be a different story than Super Bowl #33 or whichever you decide. 

If you are just going to call it the Super Bowl, then big friggin deal, it's just the NFL title game. Like a World Series. Or NBA Finals. 

iq5b7nF.png

I'm again going to point out that the "Regional" Logos have been much better at differentiating the Super Bowls during this bland and uninspired era of Super Bowl logos.  And that they're being used on the Programs and other merchandise feels like (to me) that the NFL realized how crappy the System Logo has been since XLV when it started (which is the only one without a "Regional" Logo").  These all seem to have a bit of "Local Flair" or differing fonts that don't seem to fit with the System Logo.  These are done in official capacity. Why the two differing fonts?

51U17shAj7L.01_SL_.jpg51CaRQnMJjL._SY300_.jpgs-l225.jpgs-l225.jpgs-l225.jpg

96583_big.jpgsuper-bowl-lii-2018-minneapolis-two-sideff_3038835_full.jpg&w=600

The only other one that didn't was 50 and that was more about the celebration of the game itself rather than the area.

These give a lot more life to the game and the location compared to the bland logos that were stale with the very first one.

What it also tells me is there are still logo sets with "local" flair being put into it.  This year it's heavily set on the Aurora theme of Blues and Purples.

Also if it just rotates between the same 4 or 5 places (with the occasional new-stadium bone thrown in) you’re going to run out of themes fast. They already have. Also if you look at a lot of those old logos, they’re not really that unique or creative. 

I do understand that it’s different from other finals in that the location is known years in advance and not days, so there’s opportunity for local themes, but IMO the logo consistency is the way to go. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm actually somewhat content with how they're doing it now. You keep a consistent theme to the Super Bowl logo, but also have a colorful alternate logo for the host city yearly (which is also mainly used on merchandise).

I remember the NFL's explanation after the reveal of Super Bowl XLVI (I think it was around that) on how they wanted to create a consistent brand surrounding the event. Some people wrote them off as just being lazy, but after several years with this, it's clear what their intention was.

I'll miss the logo style of the early 2000's (and of course I wish one of those logos were associated with MY team <_<), but eh, I also understand the branding point behind all of this. I still, however, think they could've went with a better design for the newer ones. Chrome isn't something that can stand timeless.

I kinda dismiss someone's opinion instantly once they say the word "lazy".  It's literally the "laziest" critique of a design and provides nothing to have a discussion about.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So, instead of yelling at eachother, does anyone have an image of the logo, or is this just the spot to go after eachother personally over opinions?

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I kinda dismiss someone's opinion instantly once they say the word "lazy".  It's literally the "laziest" critique of a design and provides nothing to have a discussion about.  

Simple/clean vs. lazy feels like cheap vs. inexpensive. If you like it, it’s simple; if you don’t, it’s lazy.

The NFL missed out on a great opportunity a few years ago to bring about a new and refreshed identity to the Super Bowl.  They should've used the 50th anniversary game to go from what would've been "Super Bowl L" to the "50th Annual Super Bowl," after which they could do what the CFL does with the Grey Cup - referring to it by both year and arabic numeral (52nd Annual, 57th Annual, etc.)

It catches my attention in a bad way when I read "Super Bowl 52" as opposed to "Super Bowl LII," and I think everyone would've easily adjusted to referencing the "52nd Annual Super Bowl" and/or "Super Bowl 2018."

nav-logo.png

5 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

The NFL missed out on a great opportunity a few years ago to bring about a new and refreshed identity to the Super Bowl.  They should've used the 50th anniversary game to go from what would've been "Super Bowl L" to the "50th Annual Super Bowl," after which they could do what the CFL does with the Grey Cup - referring to it by both year and arabic numeral (52nd Annual, 57th Annual, etc.)

It catches my attention in a bad way when I read "Super Bowl 52" as opposed to "Super Bowl LII," and I think everyone would've easily adjusted to referencing the "52nd Annual Super Bowl" and/or "Super Bowl 2018."

The naming by year is not really possible unless the league begins calling its seasons by hyphenated years, such as 2017-18.  Otherwise, the fact that the 2018 Super Bowl is the championship of the 2017 season is kind of incoherent.

I think that they should use hypenated years, and get rid of the numbering altogether.  The numbers are important only for multiples of 10 or 25.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I think the "Branding" is what the current SB logos are all about. Goodell keeps talking about "The Shield" (NFL, not the wrestlers, though that might be very interesting). With the NFL, Wild Card, Divisional, Conference Finals, and the Super Bowl now with slightly different but unified logos. One can see the "Branding" that is desired. Though it lacks the imagination of the earlier pre XLV Super Bowls!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The naming by year is not really possible unless the league begins calling its seasons by hyphenated years, such as 2017-18.  Otherwise, the fact that the 2018 Super Bowl is the championship of the 2017 season is kind of incoherent.

I think that they should use hypenated years, and get rid of the numbering altogether.  The numbers are important only for multiples of 10 or 25.

Why?  The teams that played well enough to do so in the 2017 collegiate football season earned berths in the 2018 Orange Bowl, the 2018 Rose Bowl and so forth, and there's never been any incoherence there on the part of football fans.  In fact, I think it'd serve the contrary purpose:  as it is, to remember NFL championship teams since its 1966 season, you've had to mentally (i) convert a roman numeral to an arabic one, then (ii) calculate the season by extrapolating it from a starting point of 1966 = 1.  And for good measure, it also has over time established a definitive line which I've always felt diminishes the achievement of pre-Super Bowl era championship teams; that's more a product of the "Super Bowl" branding versus that of the mere "NFL Championship Game," but using the year as a reference point would take a small step toward recognizing that the history of the NFL didn't begin on January 15, 1967.

nav-logo.png

On 1/24/2018 at 11:43 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

There are plenty of people (albeit the minority) that don’t feel that they botched it, and appreciate the consistency. I am one who feels that it stenghtens the brand. 

Quite frankly, “lazy” is the most overused critique of any design. It’s fine not to like it, but calling a design (that had likely a dozen people signing off on it) “lazy” indicates a total lack of understanding of the process. 

Im not going to pretend that the actual finished product took months or even weeks to draw, but I’d bet that months or maybe even years of study, concepts, prototypes, edits, etc went into what they have now. 

With th all the seemingly random patches that teams wear these days (anniversary, man of the year, captain, memorial, etc) the SB patch is the one thing that’s now consistent and instantly recognized as being for the big game. It gives players something to shoot for (“Ive played my whole career to wear the Lombardi trophy on my jersey”) and much like the finals graphic package,  creates more of a big-event feel to the game. 

Yeah, this.  A million times this.

Archived