XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

20 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Tampa Bay Vipers Bath Salt Zombies

Outside of the Florida Panthers, this might ever well be the most Florida appropriate nickname.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I'm not sure I understand the "Desperados is a ripoff but the Roughnecks is a sweet homage" argument. 

There's nothing great nor beautiful about the LA logo. Doesn't reflect the city or the team nickname. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

56 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't know. I think that St. Louis one could be problematic. Certainly, you can apply the wings to either side of the helmet, but that's hardly unique anymore. And they'd probably sully it by trying to cram that sword down the middle, just like the logo.  Or worse, they'd just stick the logo as its on the side of the helmets and call it a day. 

I think that Gladiators Guardians could be wrapped to the back of the helmet, sort of like the old Michigan Panthers of the USFL. I'd like to see a Renegades helmet that employed those red eyes at the front of the helmet. The bottom third of the helmet would be blue to mimic the scarf and the top could employ some markings to illustrate the hat. 

I'm just spitballin' here.

I think you could place the St Louis logo on the back of the helmet, have the sword act as the helmet stripe, and have the wings fold around the sides of the helmet. 

You have the right idea for the Guardians; something in the vein of the Jacksonville Bulls, Michigan Panthers, and Memphis Pharaohs helmets:

memphis-pharaohs-st-louis-stampede-july-images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi8AJisxeEWJ2M2yAKGWF1_1a176505f0625f2fd5f4a78a4f7a07dd.jpg

• Like 2

So the Desperados use one of the Oilers main colors and the Roughnecks use a lawyer friendly version of the Oilers logo..i have a feeling they wanted to bring back the Oilers identity but they couldn't because of the obvious legal dispute  

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

30 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The Birmingham Iron logo was love at first sight for me.  I don't get that feeling over any of these.  Quite a letdown.

Yeah, the AAF was flawed in a number of ways, but the identities were all very solid. The XFL ones are more of a mixed bag. My thoughts on them...

Dallas Renegades- generic outlaw stuff, fun colour scheme that remind me of my beloved Toronto Phantoms from back in the day. A bit uninspired but I dig it.

DC Defenders- I appreciate the use of "DC" over "Washington," as the name of the city hasn't officially been "Washington" since the 1870s. I also dig the way they managed to evoke both the DC coat of arms/flag and a military patch in one logo.

Houston Roughnecks- are any of you shocked that Vince would shamelessly pander? The H over the derrick may be enough to get them around legal issues with the NFL but it's still obvious what this is. It's amusingly ballsy but eh. That's all it has going for them

Los Angeles Wildcats- I get why they went with a monogram, LA monograms sell well in southern California. And the colour scheme sets them apart from the two blue and gold NFL teams in the city. Still, it's kind of underwhelming. Also it's not the Xtreme, and that makes this whole venture illegitimate. Tommy Maddox's legacy must be respected!

New York Guardians- I actually like this look a lot. It may be my favourite in the bunch. I'm not sold on "Gargoyles" as a name, but I love the imagery. So the imagery and the name Guardians is a fantastic combo.

St. Louis Battlehawks- It's ok, I guess. It's not bad. It's meh. It's got a solid military theme going, but I thought that was DC's shtick?

Seattle Dragons- UAB Blazers ripoff is a UAB Blazers ripoff.

Tampa Bay Vipers- The one I was most looking forward to because 1) I live here and 2) I have a soft spot for the old Tampa Bay Bandits identity. Had they given the Renegades logo and name to Tampa I would have been in love. As it is? Eh. Vipers is a solid name, I don't have an issue with that. I just don't like the monogram V logo. The Viper head alternate mark on the XFL site is much better. I would have preferred that as the primary.

All in all? Two and a half logos I really dig. The rest are meh. Nothing's bad though. So that's a good sign identity-wise.

• Like 1

Big fan of three of the teams, New York, Seattle, and Dallas. Bit disappointed in Tampa Bay, you couldve gotten some really good imagery out of the vipers name. Same with Houston, the logo is a bit underwhelming, the alt seems much better. 

St. Louis is clearly the worst of the bunch, the logo ain’t the worst neither is the name, but compared to the rest its a bit disappointing. I like the Los Angeles Wildcats a lot as it evokes that highschool football feeling that comes with both California and the general southeast. I like the monogram, would’ve been interested in a cat head alt however.

Excited to see the uniforms

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I've come to the conclusion that I like the St. Louis logo more than I did at initial glance (it looks better to me in the version that was published as their twitter handle photo rather than the 3D-ish version on the reveal show), but that the name "Warbirds" would have gotten across the same message as "BattleHawks" but without sounding contrived - and it would have played into the aviation theme better than the actual name.

The logo on twitter:

ECg3_sfXUAEVA_E.jpg:large

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

2 minutes ago, Maroon said:

I've come to the conclusion that I like the St. Louis logo more than I did at initial glance (it looks better to me in the version that was published as their twitter handle photo rather than the 3D-ish version on the reveal show), but that the name "Warbirds" would have gotten across the same message as "BattleHawks" but without sounding contrived - and it would have played better into the aviation theme better than the actual name.

The logo on twitter:

ECg3_sfXUAEVA_E.jpg:large

Bend the top feathers up a little bit and you could have a hidden W for WarBirds. They really missed the mark on that one

• Like 1

My biggest issue?

The intro video for LA started off pretty neatly.. the sun is going down.. shots move from glitz and paparazzi up into the hills as twilight approaches..

"they've already begun to prowl.. enter their den"  okay, I'm thinking, 'what kind of wild animal lives up in the hills? In a den?" Coyotes?

Then they show some shots of COUGARS... (or PUMAS... MOUNTAIN LIONS... CATAMOUNTS -- take your pick)

Great big animals that exist in not only in California, but in the Los Angeles area:

spacer.png

(I wouldn't want to face one of these in the Hollywood Hills)

Then they hit the tagline name: "This is our time to roar... THE LA WILDCATS, unleashed February 2020"

WHAT THE...?  A cougar is not a wildcat.

A wildcat in North American is technically the Bobcat, much smaller than a cougar or lion (but bigger than a housecat).

Basically, very wimpy. Joggers have nothing to fear from wildcats or bobcats. 

Should have gone with "California Cougars"  (especially since they are playing in Carson and there is no San Fran team this go-round) but I can understand the new cultural term of "cougar" as a horny older woman screwing that up (although it doesn't seem to hurt BYU, Houston, Washington State, or countless high school teams).

Pumas would have been a nice alternative, and a nod to the area's Hispanic culture.

But "Wildcats" SUCKS.

• Like 8

It is what it is.

23 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

My biggest issue?

The intro video for LA started off pretty neatly.. the sun is going down.. shots move from glitz and paparazzi up into the hills as twilight approaches..

"they've already begun to prowl.. enter their den"  okay, I'm thinking, 'what kind of wild animal lives up in the hills? In a den?" Coyotes?

Then they show some shots of COUGARS... (or PUMAS... MOUNTAIN LIONS... CATAMOUNTS -- take your pick)

Great big animals that exist in not only in California, but in the Los Angeles area:

spacer.png

(I wouldn't want to face one of these in the Hollywood Hills)

Then they hit the tagline name: "This is our time to roar... THE LA WILDCATS, unleashed February 2020"

WHAT THE...?  A cougar is not a wildcat.

A wildcat in North American is technically the Bobcat, much smaller than a cougar or lion (but bigger than a housecat).

Basically, very wimpy. Joggers have nothing to fear from wildcats or bobcats. 

Should have gone with "California Cougars"  (especially since they are playing in Carson and there is no San Fran team this go-round) but I can understand the new cultural term of "cougar" as a horny older woman screwing that up (although it doesn't seem to hurt BYU, Houston, Washington State, or countless high school teams).

Pumas would have been a nice alternative, and a nod to the area's Hispanic culture.

But "Wildcats" SUCKS.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Rethinking it, a few tweaks of just the names could go a long way:

LA Pumas, as B-Rich said, would be a much better big cat, and wouldn't alter the main logo at all (maybe adjust from Red & Orange to Red & Gold instead)

DC Power would still work with the logo, and makes the lightning bolts more relevant.

NY Gargoyles is more original and aggressive than Guardians

Seattle Serpents or SEA Serpents would work for the Dragons logo and be more alliterative.

Houston Roughnecks is fine, as is Dallas Renegades (derivative as it is)

St. Louis Squadron or St. Louis Swords would be better than Battlewings.

Tampa Bay Vipers is fine, but Tampa Venom would also work with the same logo and be a bit more unique. 

• Like 1