The Golden One

XFL 2020 Logos and Names

Recommended Posts

On 5/3/2019 at 8:43 AM, WideRight said:

I realize that as a logo/uniform geek I represent a small minority outside of these boards, but the wait on the XFL team identities is killing me.  I really thought the AAF hit it out of the park on most accounts (not a fan of B'ham's uniforms, and the use of helmet numbers, but otherwise very strong) and I am hoping that the XFL has faired as least as well in creating viable, interesting and innovative identities and uniforms.  Really hoping they don't look too Arenaball/Nike-Oregon outlandish, but you never know with  new leagues.  Sometimes they feel the need to "innovate" for its own sake instead of using a classic or more traditional aesthetic.  Here are my hopes for the XFL.  What are yours?

 

1. Stick to a traditional look, maybe even retro to the 80's-90's (USFL era being my favorite)

2. Stick to reaonsable/conservative names like "Sharks" or "Renegades" instead of Xtreme names like Maniax or SharkBears.

3. Use a full palette of colors, not 8 teams all trying to use black, silver or navy. 

4. Find a way to connect the team name to the region/city.

5. Avoid custom fonts which are all but illegible (see Orlando Rage in 2001 XFL)

6. Have merchandise ready on day 1 of the identities coming out. 

 

Since there are no XFL teams anywhere near where I now live (CO), I will almost certainly pick my XFL team based on their identity, colors, name and uniform.  Hoping it is a tough choice because so many are really solid, not because so many are horrible. 

 

I am campaigning for any new team to be named SharkBears now.

 

Bravo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pianoknight said:

 

I am campaigning for any new team to be named SharkBears now.

 

Bravo.

 

Give it time...the minor league baseball season is young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Heard about the television deal and discussed things with my friends.   While having the conversation, I saw what the cities were.   At first, I was shocked that they didn't go with everyone's first move when making a new team: filling in spots without teams/that had their teams taken away from them.   St. Louis is the only non-NFL city.

 

Then I looked at the AAF, and its quick failure.   And the failure of so many teams.   Looking at those cities, they're all large cities that have enough of a population that there's a better chance to get people to come.   There are numerous minor league, soccer, lacrosse, and other teams in these cities that people support despite the major league saturation.

 

Meanwhile, in places like Birmingham, Salt Lake City, Columbus, and other suggested cities, appealing to a smaller base can get less return.   Basically, Vince is throwing as much :censored: at the wall as he can, knowing the more he has the more will stick.

 

That being said, I am surprised San Diego wasn't picked, but I imagine that to be a matter because of the AAF already having a team there.   That being said, perhaps if they have a second season they can expand by two teams and they can pick up San Diego and Orlando or something.   The other shocker is the lack of Las Vegas.   The Outlaws were a huge standout of the XFL.   Do the Raiders have an agreement with the city that blocks any other football teams?

 

As for my appraisal of names I could see happening...

 

-East-

New York Rescue (FD/PD theme)

St. Louis Sentinels

Tampa Bay Tigersharks

Washington Hawks (double meaning with bird and war supporters)

 

-West-

Dallas Roughnecks

Houston Apollos

Los Angeles Lawmen (focus on John Wayne/James Arnes Western productions)

Seattle Pilots

 

Yes, basing an LA team seemingly off the police is a terrible idea, but it's the only thing I can think of Vince being in for.

 

Although what I'd really like to see (but know Vince will never do) is the Tampa Bay Manatees.   Like the Dolphins, be a Florida team taking a local pride animal that's not seen as a threat and apply it to a contact sport.   Make an angry manatee in a helmet your logo and market with the slogan "Be a MANatee".

 

EDIT: What's driving me crazy is that I had a New York identity that had green as the primary color and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.   Thought of it in the car.   I took a few hours coming up with the identities in the post.

 

Something based on the blue collar fishermen would probably also play well to the base Vince is looking for, but what I went with plays better.   Couldn't think of a better name that covers both fire and police.

 

I like your ideas. (New York Rescue, Tampa Bay Tigersharks & Dallas Roughnecks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TheAnt755 said:

I like your ideas. (New York Rescue, Tampa Bay Tigersharks & Dallas Roughnecks)

 

Admittedly, Tigersharks was totally stolen from earlier in the conversation.   Sharks works well, but Tigersharks sounds better together with the regional name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Admittedly, Tigersharks was totally stolen from earlier in the conversation.   Sharks works well, but Tigersharks sounds better together with the regional name.

Yeah Sharks or Tiger Sharks works well, as there are a ridiculous number of Sharks in Tampa’s Bay alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, having only contributed the concept of the SharkBear to this conversation (You are welcome) I feel I owe it to the board to actually propose identities for the 8 XFL teams, so here goes:

 

XFL NY:   New Jersey G-Men-- Same colors as the old XFL Hitmen (Royal, Black, Grey) but inverting from mobsters to the feds who busted them.  Logo is a Silver/black badge, which will look great on a blue helmet.  I chose to go with NJ since they will actually play in the Meadowlands and this is a way for them to distinguish themselves from other NYC area teams.  Yes, it links to the Giants, but the name is different enough to stand on its own.  Blue helmet with black/silver logo.  Blue jersey with black yoke, silver pants, blue socks. 

 

XFL DC:  DC Power-- A double meaning name for the halls of power, but also DC electricity.  Logo will involve lightning bolts.  Colors:  Purple & Old Gold.  I wanted to get away from the red-white-blue color scheme and the obvious poltical/military names but still have a name that makes sense for the nation's capital.  Purple helmet with gold & white lightning from front to back (similar to old XFL Birmingham but only 2 bolts), Purple jersey, Old gold pants. 

 

XFL TBY:  Tampa Bay Plunder-- With a huge pirate ship in the endzone you really have to try to tie in.  I picture a logo that includes either a treasure chest, gold dubloons, or some other pirate booty reference without copying the Buccaneers pirate images.  Colors would be something like teal, black and metallic gold, or possibly Navy and metallic gold with teal or silver.  Teal helmet with gold & navy logo.  Navy jersey, white pants, teal socks.   Something similar to NFL Europe's Hamburg Sea Devils. 

 

XFL STL:  St. Louis Bombers-- A red, white & blue team with WW2 motif in design.  Helmet logo is the classic star in circle with wings.  Main logo should include a B-52 or other classic plane.  Helmet is white with logo, red jersey with blue sleevecaps, white pants, red socks.  

 

XFL DFW:  Dallas Rawhides-- Logo is horse-related, somewhere between Boise St. and SMU.  Colors:  Brown, Old Gold, orange, similar to WLAF's SA Riders.

I am picturing an old-gold Helmet with a brown/orange logo.  Brown uniform with swirling "cowboy shirt" design on the yoke, old gold pants. 

 

XFL HOU:  Houston Flames-- Flame logo that forms an H, secondary logo uses an oil derrick with a flame to evoke the Oilers.  Colors: Navy, Red, Orange

Navy helmet with flaming H logo.  Navy jersey with red & orange sleeve caps.  White pants with flame similar to AZ Wranglers of USFL. 

 

XFL SEA:  Seattle Sasquatch-- Logo is a Bigfoot silhouette similar to the heisman pose (RB running).  Colors:  Athletic Gold, Forest Green, Brown

Yellow helmet with brown facemask.  Green jerseys and yellow pants.  Brown used only as piping. 

 

XFL LA:  Los Angeles Condors-- Logo is a condor head with the white neck plummage.  Colors:  Black & White with thin piping in neon pink

Black helmet & jersey (white collar to parallel Condor head).  White pants with black stripe.  Thin neon pink piping around yoke & pant stripes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston Hearst Helmsley

- Self explanatory

 

Los Angeles Avengers

- Since the XFL is gonna be broadcast on Disney-owned networks, might as well get Marvel on board...right?

 

Seattle Grunge

- 90's kids rejoice!!!

 

Dallas Diablos

- Thought it had a good ring to it.

 

Tampa Bay Bandits

- Would be nice to bring this name back

 

Washington Warlords

- Too morbid for this squeaky clean XFL?

 

St Louis Archers

- A name waiting for years to be used I'm sure.

 

NY/NJ Hitmen

- At least bring one name back from the old XFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Los Angeles Avengers

- Since the XFL is gonna be broadcast on Disney-owned networks, might as well get Marvel on board...right?

Arena League already did the superhero themed team in LA thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the original incarnation of the XFL I always thought that Chicago & New York should've switched nicknames. Chicago Hitmen & New York Enforcers sounds better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Houston Hearst Helmsley

- Self explanatory

 

Los Angeles Avengers

- Since the XFL is gonna be broadcast on Disney-owned networks, might as well get Marvel on board...right?

 

Seattle Grunge

- 90's kids rejoice!!!

 

Dallas Diablos

- Thought it had a good ring to it.

 

Tampa Bay Bandits

- Would be nice to bring this name back

 

Washington Warlords

- Too morbid for this squeaky clean XFL?

 

St Louis Archers

- A name waiting for years to be used I'm sure.

 

NY/NJ Hitmen

- At least bring one name back from the old XFL.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WideRight said:

OK, having only contributed the concept of the SharkBear to this conversation (You are welcome) I feel I owe it to the board to actually propose identities for the 8 XFL teams, so here goes:

 

XFL NY:   New Jersey G-Men-- Same colors as the old XFL Hitmen (Royal, Black, Grey) but inverting from mobsters to the feds who busted them.  Logo is a Silver/black badge, which will look great on a blue helmet.  I chose to go with NJ since they will actually play in the Meadowlands and this is a way for them to distinguish themselves from other NYC area teams.  Yes, it links to the Giants, but the name is different enough to stand on its own.  Blue helmet with black/silver logo.  Blue jersey with black yoke, silver pants, blue socks. 

 

XFL DC:  DC Power-- A double meaning name for the halls of power, but also DC electricity.  Logo will involve lightning bolts.  Colors:  Purple & Old Gold.  I wanted to get away from the red-white-blue color scheme and the obvious poltical/military names but still have a name that makes sense for the nation's capital.  Purple helmet with gold & white lightning from front to back (similar to old XFL Birmingham but only 2 bolts), Purple jersey, Old gold pants. 

 

XFL TBY:  Tampa Bay Plunder-- With a huge pirate ship in the endzone you really have to try to tie in.  I picture a logo that includes either a treasure chest, gold dubloons, or some other pirate booty reference without copying the Buccaneers pirate images.  Colors would be something like teal, black and metallic gold, or possibly Navy and metallic gold with teal or silver.  Teal helmet with gold & navy logo.  Navy jersey, white pants, teal socks.   Something similar to NFL Europe's Hamburg Sea Devils. 

 

XFL STL:  St. Louis Bombers-- A red, white & blue team with WW2 motif in design.  Helmet logo is the classic star in circle with wings.  Main logo should include a B-52 or other classic plane.  Helmet is white with logo, red jersey with blue sleevecaps, white pants, red socks.  

 

XFL DFW:  Dallas Rawhides-- Logo is horse-related, somewhere between Boise St. and SMU.  Colors:  Brown, Old Gold, orange, similar to WLAF's SA Riders.

I am picturing an old-gold Helmet with a brown/orange logo.  Brown uniform with swirling "cowboy shirt" design on the yoke, old gold pants. 

 

XFL HOU:  Houston Flames-- Flame logo that forms an H, secondary logo uses an oil derrick with a flame to evoke the Oilers.  Colors: Navy, Red, Orange

Navy helmet with flaming H logo.  Navy jersey with red & orange sleeve caps.  White pants with flame similar to AZ Wranglers of USFL. 

 

XFL SEA:  Seattle Sasquatch-- Logo is a Bigfoot silhouette similar to the heisman pose (RB running).  Colors:  Athletic Gold, Forest Green, Brown

Yellow helmet with brown facemask.  Green jerseys and yellow pants.  Brown used only as piping. 

 

XFL LA:  Los Angeles Condors-- Logo is a condor head with the white neck plummage.  Colors:  Black & White with thin piping in neon pink

Black helmet & jersey (white collar to parallel Condor head).  White pants with black stripe.  Thin neon pink piping around yoke & pant stripes.

 


I work with many many schools with varied color combos and have some subjective feedback to your color scheme recommendations:

 

NY:  Royal/Black/Grey.  Very dark & drab with no pop.  I cringe when I run into a school with these colors, as they are difficult to make look good.  This scheme would work well for another team if you replaced Royal with any light/bright color, such as Columbia Blue, or Pink as you suggested for LA.  North Carolina has done some Grey uniforms and that could be a nice fit for NY.  New York is pretty grey & gritty though, so perhaps they do get the Black/Grey treatment.  I would be open to a Navy/Black/Gold (WVU) or a Black/Grey/Gold (Army Black Knights) here.

DC:  Purple/Vegas.  Doesn't really relate to anything DC or "Power", and is the same scheme as the failed AAF Atlanta team; I doubt the XFL would copy one of their teams' color schemes to avoid confusion.  As much as it is cliche, I'd be shocked if we didn't get a Navy/Red/Grey or White scheme here, knowing McMahon.  And honestly, it does make sense. It would fill the vacuum of Navy/Red/Grey that the Patriots' Reebok-designed uniform leaves:  the absence of a great pro or college football uniform that uses those 3 colors (outside of Ole Miss). 

 

TB:  Teal/Black/Vegas Gold?  You mean the Jacksonville Jaguars colors, on the other side of the state?  No way.  There's a LOT of red in that stadium.  I would not be surprised if we saw the old Creamsicle Orange return in some form.  I think you're right that there could be a pirate-theme, unfortunately.  They should look back to Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden-era Grey/White/Black/Orange combos for a great crossover look that's still unique.  Pair Creamsicle with Light Grey and a little Black and you've got a winner.  Halloween colors?  Call'em the Tampa Bay Spirits.  Give'em that vibe.

STL:  Red/White/Blue.  The AAF Memphis Express just used these colors a few hours away.  Again, not sure if, outside of DC, that the XFL would choose to use a scheme so close to the failed AAF teams, especially for the only XFL team in the Midwest.

 

DALLAS:  Brown/Gold/Orange.  Yeesh. This one would be tough to pull off because it's so dusty & drab.  Which makes sense, if the identity is a western motif.  No one in pro football uses the color Brown, and for good reason: it's not attractive.  Wyoming is the only time it looks semi-decent.  Perhaps a Grey/Brown/Gold combo could work; adding Grey b/c you can't just copy Wyoming (or copy their Grey unis from a few year's back, minus the digital camo).  Perhaps we see Texas Orange/Black here?  The Longhorns' practice unis look sweet, but that might be too close to home.

HOUSTON:  Navy/Red/Orange. You lost me at "flames".  I would look for Light Blue & Red to make a return here...combined with Black, because XFL (and the need to differentiate enough from the Oilers, while calling back to that history).  Which is an outstanding combo that I can't recall anyone ever using.  Google "Black Houston Oilers" and see some of that hats that are out there for an example.

SEA:  Gold/Green/Brown.  Love the Sasquatch suggestion. Hate the color scheme.  Again, brown is tough.  Maybe as a tertiary color mixed with Kelly.  Kelly Green with Vegas Gold lettering could be a nice look, but with solid Brown numbering and a clean design, and this could be pretty unique, though potentially difficult to read.  Still, it would look like they're either a bunch of park rangers, or Shaggy from Scooby Doo.  Wild card?  They do Green/Gold...ala the Seattle Supersonics.  That'd be a smart win.  "Seattle SuperSquatch".  Kidding.  Though "Seattle Squatch" could work...#getsquatched

LA:  Black/White/Pink.  I think this is closer to what we'll see from some XFL teams. I fully expect a few to have bright colors - a bright, light blue; a neon green/yellow; and a hot pink could all find their way into designs.  It's a new brand that needs to be distinct, and that's what bright colors do - they grab your attention.  My namesake is the most visible color to the human eye.  Nike isn't stupid with their use of Volt.  The Florida Marlins' updated colors, or the Miami Heat Vice Nights uniforms could be a model, especially for a team like LA, if any.

Fun game to play.  Anxious to see what the XFL marketing team came up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pianoknight said:

u83eyA0.png

 

Make the Los Angeles Sharkbears happen! 

 

You get the identity of the California Grizzly and the sharks off the waters of LA all in one name! PERFECT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Volt said:

No one in pro football uses the color Brown

 

SERIOUSLY?

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 3:52 PM, Wings said:

 

 

Dallas Pride

Houston Energy 

Los Angles Glitz

New York Intensity 

St. Louis Legacy

Seattle Noise

Tampa Bay Passion

DC Democracy 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Repost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My predictions on what colors the eight XFL teams will most likely have:

  • Dallas: Burnt Orange and Maroon
  • Houston: Columbia Blue, Red, and Silver
  • Los Angeles: Royal Purple, Gold, and Black
  • New York: Royal Blue and Orange
  • St. Louis: Red, Gold, and Navy Blue
  • Seattle: Hunter Green and Gold
  • Tampa Bay: Green, Light Blue, Black, and Silver
  • Washington: Crimson, Black, and Silver

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m praying that Seattle goes with the name Seattle Grunge and having 90s grunge like colors. that would rope in the 90s kids and make them wear their Nirvana shirts to their games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:41 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Heard about the television deal and discussed things with my friends.   While having the conversation, I saw what the cities were.   At first, I was shocked that they didn't go with everyone's first move when making a new team: filling in spots without teams/that had their teams taken away from them.   St. Louis is the only non-NFL city.

 

Then I looked at the AAF, and its quick failure.   And the failure of so many teams.   Looking at those cities, they're all large cities that have enough of a population that there's a better chance to get people to come.   There are numerous minor league, soccer, lacrosse, and other teams in these cities that people support despite the major league saturation.

 

Meanwhile, in places like Birmingham, Salt Lake City, Columbus, and other suggested cities, appealing to a smaller base can get less return.   Basically, Vince is throwing as much :censored: at the wall as he can, knowing the more he has the more will stick.

 

That being said, I am surprised San Diego wasn't picked, but I imagine that to be a matter because of the AAF already having a team there.   That being said, perhaps if they have a second season they can expand by two teams and they can pick up San Diego and Orlando or something.   The other shocker is the lack of Las Vegas.   The Outlaws were a huge standout of the XFL.   Do the Raiders have an agreement with the city that blocks any other football teams?

 

As for my appraisal of names I could see happening...

 

-East-

New York Rescue (FD/PD theme)

St. Louis Sentinels

Tampa Bay Tigersharks

Washington Hawks (double meaning with bird and war supporters)

 

-West-

Dallas Roughnecks

Houston Apollos

Los Angeles Lawmen (focus on John Wayne/James Arnes Western productions)

Seattle Pilots

 

Yes, basing an LA team seemingly off the police is a terrible idea, but it's the only thing I can think of Vince being in for.

 

Although what I'd really like to see (but know Vince will never do) is the Tampa Bay Manatees.   Like the Dolphins, be a Florida team taking a local pride animal that's not seen as a threat and apply it to a contact sport.   Make an angry manatee in a helmet your logo and market with the slogan "Be a MANatee".

 

EDIT: What's driving me crazy is that I had a New York identity that had green as the primary color and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.   Thought of it in the car.   I took a few hours coming up with the identities in the post.

 

Something based on the blue collar fishermen would probably also play well to the base Vince is looking for, but what I went with plays better.   Couldn't think of a better name that covers both fire and police.

 

From what I have heard, if the XFL expands again, it's going to be the Bay Area and Midwest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.