XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I like about half of those color sets, not blown away in general, pretty standard.  I'll have to see what they turn out to be.

The Red/White and the Royal/Grey/White scare me.  Those are really drab on their own. 

Part of what scares me is that this looks like Joe Bosack work again.  I pray that it's not.  Joe hits it out of the park with event/conference/tournament logos, but really has, more times than not, missed on team identities.  The AAF is the most devastating example of that.

5 minutes ago, Volt said:

The AAF is the most devastating example of that.

Team identities were the best part of the AAF. The XFL 2.0 will be a sharp looking league if they can rise to that standard. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I like about half of those color sets, not blown away in general, pretty standard.  I'll have to see what they turn out to be.

I would rather have solid, good looking colour sets than experimental ones that don't end up working in practice. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

You do realize your avatar is the Geelong Cats, right?  Just sayin' animal names can't be all bad. 

If you're the XFL, you're supposed to avoid them.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

8 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

If you're the XFL, you're supposed to avoid them.

The XFL is in a tough spot. They can lean into the original's goofy nicknames and embrace the camp. They could run the risk of not being taken seriously though. 

Or they could strive for more traditional names to seem more legitimate. This could potentially harm the audience though, as many people might only be interested in the XFL for nostalgic/camp reasons. 

It's a tightrope, and Vince seems like he wants this thing to last. So I get why they're leaning into more traditional names. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The XFL is in a tough spot. They can lean into the original's goofy nicknames and embrace the camp. They could run the risk of not being taken seriously though. 

Or they could strive for more traditional names to seem more legitimate. This could potentially harm the audience though, as many people might only be interested in the XFL for nostalgic/camp reasons. 

It's a tightrope, and Vince seems like he wants this thing to last. So I get why they're leaning into more traditional names. 

Yeah if they really want this thing to last they need to go the traditional route. They can’t afford to look bush league.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Part of what scares me is that this looks like Joe Bosack work again.  I pray that it's not.  Joe hits it out of the park with event/conference/tournament logos, but really has, more times than not, missed on team identities.  The AAF is the most devastating example of that.

I hope this is Joe's work. He did an amazing job with the AAF and I'm sure he will do a better job with the XFL, if this is indeed his work. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Team identities were the best part of the AAF. The XFL 2.0 will be a sharp looking league if they can rise to that standard. 

To be fair, were there any good parts besides the team identities?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Volt said:

Joe Bosack's branding work for the AAF was, hands down, the best thing the league had going for it. Frankly, if the league's executive leadership and financial solvency had been even half as strong as Joe's graphic design work, the AAF wouldn't have flamed out before completing its inaugural season. 

• Like 6

Looks like they'll all be revealed on Wednesday 12:30PM ET per Twitter.

I don't think we'll see any old names.  I get the impression Vince wants this to share little to none of the old league.

• Like 1

mainescarf.png

8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Joe Bosack's branding work for the AAF was, hands down, the best thing the league had going for it. Frankly, if the league's executive leadership and financial solvency had been even half as strong as Joe's graphic design work, the AAF wouldn't have flamed out before completing its inaugural season. 

Completely subjective take, as is mine.  I deal with athletic team branding every single day, and in my professional opinion, the only AAF logo & color scheme that was marginally acceptable was San Diego’s.  The rest were a debacle, not even on the level of many MiLB branding, and part of the reason the league didn’t catch fire.  The poor identities, names, logos and color choices severely hindered that league’s ability to pull in fans.  And those designs bled over into the uniforms, which were equally as bad, if not worse.  

My fear all along has been that the XFL would make the same mistake.  That potential, after seeing these teases, still exists.  

The XFL needs to set a seriously high bar with this unveiling.  It’s taken them long enough that, if they fail here, it could be indicative of their future success.  These identities need to be perfectly executed to get fan buy-in.  Especially when your first 2 signings are Landry Jones and Ryan Mallett.

One thing we can likely assume from these teases is that these logos will all look and feel similar, ala the AAF.  What they needed to do was strike a balance between modern and timeless, like the NFL.  Many here love traditional uniforms and logos, but I don’t see much simple Dallas Stars or Chicago “C” logo teases here.  Many feel like they may be overdesigned.

I 100% hope I’m wrong and the XFL has nailed it.  With the rumor of a “Vipers” team and several teases here, you can consider me nervous.  I want this league to long-lasting and successful.

8 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Hopefully the new XFL won't fall back on the old Maniax, Xtreme or Rage names.

Right. But names such as Demons, Enforcers, and Hitmen, while not exactly traditional, are excellent and are deserving of being revived. The Demons' look in particular was outstanding. And the Hitmen's helmet logo was superb.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right. But names such as Demons, Enforcers, and Hitmen, while not exactly traditional, are excellent and are deserving of being revived. The Demons' look in particular was outstanding. And the Hitmen's helmet logo was superb.

That logo is still used by high schools across the country.

• Like 1

Excellent!