XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

UA had to drop out of the MLB contract because they’re struggling and couldn’t handle the volume.   Do we think they minor league football is small enough that UA could actually follow through?

UA needs this type of football exposure again, and quite frankly, after Nike and Adidas, the quality of uniforms made by other manufacturers drops off drastically.  Though as you stated, I'm not sure UA can take it on.  Adidas already legally tried to prevent McMahon from using his Alpha Entertainment LLC logo, so as they say in the wrestling world, there's "heat" there, though Adidas would be somewhat smart to get some football exposure back in the states.

While using Champion or Starter has some nostalgic value, they don't make a uniform that is comparable to Nike, UA or Adidas, and the brand value association is just not there.  The XFL needs one of the top 3.  UA just seems the most likely, if they can handle it, which I think they could.  From a production/delivery standpoint on the team side right now, they're doing okay, much better than they were 2 years ago.  Powers still makes all of their football uniforms, and they could theoretically partner with Fanatics for fanwear decoration & fulfillment.  

New Era could be a dark horse, but they're merely licensing their logo to whomever manufactures the CFL uniforms.  That would not be a horrible play...if they could make/license a better uniform.  The CFL unis look like the same templates from 2001...they're awful.  

Personally, I'd love to be surprised and see Nike take them on.  It would be a major win for the XFL in brand identity and merch, and the uniforms would be elite.  I can't stand the Adidas silhouette and some of their specific tackiness (screen printed metallics) and UA's necklines and pants with heavy belts, long crotches and pant length in general just looks bush league to me.  

Anyone else have a suggestion on another brand they'd prefer that hasn't already been discussed?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 9:28 AM, Volt said:

Personally, I'd love to be surprised and see Nike take them on. 

Of course you would. You've acted like a huge Nike and XFL homer. 

Thing is I'm pretty damn sure there's language in their deal with the NFL preventing them from outfitting another pro league. The amount of money thrown around in deals of that magnitude usually means exclusivity in the marketplace. 

That would not be a horrible play...if they could make/license a better uniform.  The CFL unis look like the same templates from 2001...they're awful. 

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats look better than any recent Nike-designed team in the NFL 

👊🎤⬇️

The XFL needs one of the top 3.

Why? The XFL is a brand all on its own. There's a huge amount of nostalgic and pop culture value in it, from people who legitimately enjoyed it the first time, to people who thought it was stupid and are morbidly curious, to people who weren't around the first time and who are just curious. 

Say what you will about Vince McMahon, but the guy knows how to sell something. 

My point is that people who will want XFL gear will buy it in droves, regardless of what manufacturer mark is on it. The XFL alone will sell that gear, not Nike, Adidas, UA, or anyone else.

If anything it would behoove the XFL to go with a manufacturer not known for selling their products at a markup to make it more appealing to curious fans on the fence thinking about grabbing a jersey.

• Like 1

Champion made the original XFL jerseys, they've become perhaps one of the most popular athletic brands over the last five years with Millenials and Zoomers, and would cost much less than merchandise deals with any of the big three. 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, DG_Now said:

I keep on seeing comparisons with the Seattle Dragons and UAB Blazers, but not a comparison of the two. Here you go, in case you were curious like me:

1280px-uab_blazers_logo-svg.png

screen_shot_2019-08-21_at_12.34.18_pm.pn

...and, yep, those are pretty similar. But Seattle has a fin!

thats more similar than i remembered, but to be fair they’re both pretty standard dragon logo compositions. i feel like if most were going to do a “sports logo dragon” thats the first thing you go to. actually, all of these logos kind of feel like the first idea.

to get real nerdy about though, UAB is a Chinese dragon, the XFL team a European dragon

• Like 4

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I wish the XFL would've went with other cities that deserve football teams like that of the original XFL and AAF. New York, Washington, Seattle, Houston, Dallas and LA already are the obvious choices along with large population base. But eventhough cities like Orlando, Memphis, Birmingham, and San Antonio did have teams in the affore mentioned leagues, they do have the stadiums and population to deserve a second, third chance at the success football gives. And dont forget Oakland and San Diego, as the NFL is leaving these cities as well.

1 hour ago, Tygers09 said:

I wish the XFL would've went with other cities that deserve football teams like that of the original XFL and AAF. New York, Washington, Seattle, Houston, Dallas and LA already are the obvious choices along with large population base. But eventhough cities like Orlando, Memphis, Birmingham, and San Antonio did have teams in the affore mentioned leagues, they do have the stadiums and population to deserve a second, third chance at the success football gives. And dont forget Oakland and San Diego, as the NFL is leaving these cities as well.

Orlando, Memphis, Birmingham and San Antonio make up the "failed football leagues default 4" of cities they go to when forming new leagues.  The WFL, USFL, WLAF, CFL when they wanted to expand into America, XFL 1.0, UFL and AAF had at one point teams in either some or all of those four cities.  Once upon a time, Las Vegas was a part of that group. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

The XFL approached Oakland but was turn down. 

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

to get real nerdy about though, UAB is a Chinese dragon, the XFL team a European dragon

Really? I'm the kind of the opposite. Seattle's dragon looks more far east Asian to me.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Really? I'm the kind of the opposite. Seattle's dragon looks more far east Asian to me.

i think so, UAB doesnt have the whiskers but i definitely see Chinese dragon

62138302-chinese-dragon-head-vector-illu

compare to the horns and more reptilian face of Seattle

51f16ceec9ccb4a9e71ca204d48e36e3.jpg

• Like 2

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

16 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i think so, UAB doesnt have the whiskers but i definitely see Chinese dragon

compare to the horns and more reptilian face of Seattle

The problem is that because dragons are mythical? You can find art of both Chinese and European versions to line up with either UAB or the Seattle XFL team's. 

Regardless, I think UAB would have a case if they took the XFL to court over this. 

That's just my understanding a layman though. Someone versed in intellectual property law would be better suited at speculating if there's a case there. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:04 PM, Ice_Cap said:

The problem is that because dragons are mythical? You can find art of both Chinese and European versions to line up with either UAB or the Seattle XFL team's. 

Regardless, I think UAB would have a case if they took the XFL to court over this. 

That's just my understanding a layman though. Someone versed in intellectual property law would be better suited at speculating if there's a case there. 

Different face and flames. You can say Seattle's logo is inspired by UAB but it's not a copy. 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:21 PM, hawk36 said:

I don't know if I'm happy or not that the Dragons didn't try and force an S for Seattle into the Dragon shape. So close but cuts off. 

screen_shot_2019-08-21_at_12.34.18_pm.pnDragons.png

I think you'd need to have a full body dragon to do a proper S. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Different face and flames. You can say Seattle's logo is inspired by UAB but it's not a copy. 

I think you'd need to have a full body dragon to do a proper S. 

Right. I don't like overly forced letter/mascot forms (Falcons, WSU) so was thinking of how they could've had a subtle implied S form. Fine how it is but could've been that much better as a subtle S.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Doesn't have to be a direct copy to be a copy.  Or to run afoul of trademark laws.  Even “inspired by” is problematic, since the issue is whether there is a risk of confusion.  Hard to ignore that there isn’t with these two. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:21 AM, hawk36 said:

I don't know if I'm happy or not that the Dragons didn't try and force an S for Seattle into the Dragon shape. So close but cuts off. 

screen_shot_2019-08-21_at_12.34.18_pm.pnDragons.png

That’s an inspired idea.  Maybe needs a little more of his chest, but that would elevate this logo out of this league and into Big Four territory. 

• Like 1