Jump to content

XFL 2020 Logos, Names and Uniforms


The Golden One
 Share

Recommended Posts

We need a dislike button, like we have the like button. I need to make it more obvious who is making consistently good arguments and who is just making me shake my head and wonder if they are for real. lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

What DC doesn't need is another red white & blue team. I'm not sure it's the XFL's DC team's responsibility to resonate with Americans across the country and be America's team. 

 

It's DC's team. 

 

Yeah, “forget what the locals like” is kind of an odd strategy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

For the Defenders I think I see a hidden DC in their logo, but it might be a stretch.  What do you guys think:

 

dc.png

 

It's 100% intentional and you picked it out. The only bad thing about it is that whoever designed it didn't trust the idea and now the logo reads "DC - DC" for no reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

 

This was the original announced logo for Las Vegas.

 

 

 

Image result for las vegas outlaws helmet logos

 

 

But some people claimed (in my opinion baselessly) that this logo resembled a swastika.  It is to the Las Vegas team's credit that it came up with such a good one so quickly to replace this.

 

If I remember correctly, the problem was actually that the original logo resembled the Louis Vuitton logo. Too lazy to look it up, but that's what I recall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

This was the original announced logo for Las Vegas.

 

Image result for las vegas outlaws helmet logos

 

But some people claimed (in my opinion baselessly) that this logo resembled a swastika.  It is to the Las Vegas team's credit that it came up with such a good one so quickly to replace this.

 

If I remember correctly, the problem was actually that the original logo resembled the Louis Vuitton logo. Too lazy to look it up, but that's what I recall.

 

Ah, maybe you are right.  I was going by memory without researching, and could very well have been mistaken.  On second thought, perhaps the swastika allegations came up with respect to the Los Angeles logo (which was never changed.)  

Even given the sloppiness of my memory, for which I apologise, I will reiterate my assessment of Las Vegas as the best-looking team in the original XFL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Volt said:

 

 The majority of the public is more inclined to buy a team apparel item if it's Nike, UA, or Adidas.  They'll buy it, even at a higher cost, before Starter or Gildan or private label, because it's perceived to be more legitimate.  Which is exactly what this league needs:  legitimacy.  Failure to partner with a known brand is a failure.

Says who? You? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Ah, maybe you are right.  I was going by memory without researching, and could very well have been mistaken.  On second thought, perhaps the swastika allegations came up with respect to the Los Angeles logo (which was never changed.)  

Even given the sloppiness of my memory, for which I apologise, I will reiterate my assessment of Las Vegas as the best-looking team in the original XFL.

 

Yikes, yeah definitely this logo.  Those allegations seem pretty just.  Although I'll admit I never noticed it before

 

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/24/200/full/5246.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only major issue I see is that some teams' jerseys have side panels that don't flow into the pants stripes. I don't understand why the Vipers' or Dragons' jerseys have side panels at all.

 

The Defenders, Roughnecks and Guardians look nice, and the Wildcats are a real logo away from looking good too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GDAWG said:

I would not call the XFL jerseys as generic.  If any jerseys are generic it's most NFL jerseys. 

 

That's the struggle. If they've been around a long time they're called "classic." If they're new and designed to look classic they're "generic." Do you know what's generic? The Colts jerseys. Blue with white stripes, and a white helmet with a logo. And I love them. And they're clean and perfect for what they are, but if an XFL team came out with an identical kit (but, let's say, different colors), they'd be slammed as "generic."

 

Do you know what uniforms are actually generic? The new NY Jets uniforms. They're not even classic, they're just dull and pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Maroon said:

 

That's the struggle. If they've been around a long time they're called "classic." If they're new and designed to look classic they're "generic." Do you know what's generic? The Colts jerseys. Blue with white stripes, and a white helmet with a logo. And I love them. And they're clean and perfect for what they are, but if an XFL team came out with an identical kit (but, let's say, different colors), they'd be slammed as "generic."

 

Do you know what uniforms are actually generic? The new NY Jets uniforms. They're not even classic, they're just dull and pointless.

 

The Jets owner, Woody Johnson woke up one day and said "let's copy the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Quick Photoshops, but this is what Houston SHOULD have looked like, not Dallas.  Would choose a bolder number font, i'm just using what 3-color font is currently available with Nike Team in their builder for illustration purposes.  Ditto with team name font which ideally would match the logo wordmark if designed properly.  Their helmet (current Dallas) is an absolute stunner so that would remain unchanged.  If the logo was too much like the Oilers with this color scheme and needed to be avoided legally, I would've just kept the Renegade logo but put it here and have the Houston Renegades.  On the Light Blue pants, there would be a solid Black side panel.  On the White pants, there would be a solid Light Blue panel. A single, thin 1" red line could potentially be added to those side panels to give a unique pant stripe look and a bit more color pop on the pant and tie into the sleeve/sleeve band color balance.

 

bGL4pN2.jpgZJh6jwy.jpghaGPDs4.jpg

I like that, but I don't think powder blue was ever in the cards for Houston. They're already teetering one the edge of a cease and desist from the Tennessee Titans and/or the NFL over the logo.

They probably intentionally kept powder blue away from the Roughnecks to make sure they weren't getting too close for comfort. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Volt said:

 

I sell every major athletic & printable apparel brand on the planet, except for adidas & Riddell.  Pretty sure I know what generic is.

Uhhh... I don’t think that selling apparel has any impact on your knowledge of the word “generic.”

 

You said the replica jersey was generic. Generic would imply that there’s nothing setting this jersey apart from other teams and that’s just not true

Unique team colors that help establish which team it is? ✅

Team wordmark, further establishing an identity? ✅

Design that isn’t used by another team in the league? ✅

 

These jerseys are not generic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jn8 said:

Uhhh... I don’t think that selling apparel has any impact on your knowledge of the word “generic.”

 

You said the replica jersey was generic. Generic would imply that there’s nothing setting this jersey apart from other teams and that’s just not true

In @Volt's defence I think he means the cut, not the design. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm no expert on football uniform aesthetics but after seeing all of them my first thought is, while they're all fine, they all look like they were designed by the exact same person who just had one template that they just made loose changes to. For all their differences all the uniforms look and feel exactly the same to me. The number fonts are all different but seemingly all started from the same basic design. Their isn't any true uniqueness to make any of these stand out. I'm used to uniforms that vary from team to team because they were designed by different people at different points in time using different inspirations and different concepts and themes. It's like when you look at a pack of crayons and all the labels are the same design but only the colors changed. There's not enough variety here. Maybe revealing them all on the same day doesn't help but it sure looks like all of these came out of one single person's mind only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.