XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

6 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

I always liked the cover that BS&T did

Not bad, but now I feel like I have to listen to "Spinning Wheel".

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I realize that as a logo/uniform geek I represent a small minority outside of these boards, but the wait on the XFL team identities is killing me.  I really thought the AAF hit it out of the park on most accounts (not a fan of B'ham's uniforms, and the use of helmet numbers, but otherwise very strong) and I am hoping that the XFL has faired as least as well in creating viable, interesting and innovative identities and uniforms.  Really hoping they don't look too Arenaball/Nike-Oregon outlandish, but you never know with  new leagues.  Sometimes they feel the need to "innovate" for its own sake instead of using a classic or more traditional aesthetic.  Here are my hopes for the XFL.  What are yours?

1. Stick to a traditional look, maybe even retro to the 80's-90's (USFL era being my favorite)

2. Stick to reaonsable/conservative names like "Sharks" or "Renegades" instead of Xtreme names like Maniax or SharkBears.

3. Use a full palette of colors, not 8 teams all trying to use black, silver or navy. 

4. Find a way to connect the team name to the region/city.

5. Avoid custom fonts which are all but illegible (see Orlando Rage in 2001 XFL)

6. Have merchandise ready on day 1 of the identities coming out. 

Since there are no XFL teams anywhere near where I now live (CO), I will almost certainly pick my XFL team based on their identity, colors, name and uniform.  Hoping it is a tough choice because so many are really solid, not because so many are horrible. 

• Like 4

With the XFL announcing their TV distribution model today - an impressive one, at that - one of the only things left to unveil are the final coaches (Houston & LA) and then the brand partner and team identities.  

So far, almost all of their moves have been well thought-out and well-received.  Jeff Fisher is the rumored Houston coach, but we've not heard much on LA yet.  Could they possibly bookend the 1st announcement of Bob Stoops with another big name at the end, to make up for the lackluster hires of Trestman, Zorn, Haynes and Gilbride?

Lastly, is it fair to speculate now on potential uniform/licensing partners and potential color combinations?  With UA out of sight in the Big 3, do they get back in the game with the XFL?  Did the league wait to secure stadiums before finalizing team identities, so that they could align their colors with the stadiums they're playing in?  There's a lot of red in at least 4 of these venues. 

If they nail it, they'll land on a mix of team identities that are distinct - some timeless, others retro, yet others futurisitic - and put the brands on gear fans want to wear.

I still can't believe no trademark filings have leaked, or any indications at all.  Anxiously waiting the reveals.

My question is will they go with XFL 2001 kind of names:

Dallas Maniax

Houston Force

Los Angeles Inferno

New York Force

St. Louis Rampage

Seattle Smash

Tampa Bay Mutiny

DC Guard

... or with more traditional names ...

Dallas Express

Houston Apollos

Los Angeles Avengers

New York Bulldogs

St. Louis Scouts

Seattle Kings

Tampa Bay Marauders 

DC Destroyers

It almost feels like they're going more on the conservative route. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they went the 2001 route. Maybe a mixture of both?

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Dallas Cavalry (Dark Blue Sky Blue Dark Yellow) or Dallas Stampede (Slate Blue Bronze Black)
Houston Roughnecks (Columbia Blue Red Silver
Los Angeles Condors (Black Pink Pale Orange) or Los Angeles Shock (Neon Lime Sky Blue Orange)
New York Gargoyles (Black Pewter Deep Red) 
St. Louis Centaurs (Purple Gold Black) 
Seattle Steelheads (Olive Silver Red)
Tampa Bay Tiger Sharks (
Orange Black Silver)
Washington Force (Red White Blue)

• Like 2

Winston Moss to be named HC of the LA team this afternoon.  7 down, 1 to go (Houston). 

Worth noting that only 3 of 32 NFL Head Coaches are African-American, and 1 is Latino, while 3/4 of the league is African-American.  With Pep Hamilton, Jonathan Hayes, and now Winston Moss, 3/7 new XFL coaches are African-American.  Worth keeping an eye on as they attempt to recruit players away from the NFL in the long run.

16 hours ago, Volt said:

Winston Moss to be named HC of the LA team this afternoon.  7 down, 1 to go (Houston). 

Worth noting that only 3 of 32 NFL Head Coaches are African-American, and 1 is Latino, while 3/4 of the league is African-American.  With Pep Hamilton, Jonathan Hayes, and now Winston Moss, 3/7 new XFL coaches are African-American.  Worth keeping an eye on as they attempt to recruit players away from the NFL in the long run.

They'd doom themselves if they tried this, I think. They're going to try to complement at worst. For all the "hate" the NFL gets, no one is taking that spot in the next 10-15 years. 

• Like 2

I feel like Bandits could be the Tampa Bay name, if they can pry the rights from whomever owns the USFL trademark.

Justice could really work for DC, and I've always wanted to see an NY team use Gothams.

54 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Enough red, white, and blue teams for DC.  We get it, it's the nation's capital.  Hell, do black and red ala DC United since you're gonna be roughing up their grass.

I liked the late 90's Caps color scheme. Still very DC without going RWB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Enough red, white, and blue teams for DC

While the Washington Federals were one of the USFL's worst-run teams, their logo and their green-and-black colour scheme were amongst the very best in a league of many excellent logos.

54933_44_lg.jpg

3329479085582444501.jpg

A return of this dignified identity would be great. But it's hard to imagine McMahon or anyone connected to the WWE embracing a dignified aesthetic.

• Like 5

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 12/8/2018 at 7:43 AM, WideRight said:

They make no sense from a media standpoint.  Placing teams in cities that already are packed with major league franchises (all 4 sports) is already a questionable move, but if his target audience is more conservative, 'Murica types, he would be far better off looking at Birmingham, Orlando, Texas or other Red-State locations.  Putting teams in LA, NY, Seattle, DC makes no sense if you want to attract that demographic and then you add on top that no TV station in any of those markets has time to cover XFL games because of all the other teams they need to cover, and I don't see this as a recipe for a successful league.

Heard about the television deal and discussed things with my friends.   While having the conversation, I saw what the cities were.   At first, I was shocked that they didn't go with everyone's first move when making a new team: filling in spots without teams/that had their teams taken away from them.   St. Louis is the only non-NFL city.

Then I looked at the AAF, and its quick failure.   And the failure of so many teams.   Looking at those cities, they're all large cities that have enough of a population that there's a better chance to get people to come.   There are numerous minor league, soccer, lacrosse, and other teams in these cities that people support despite the major league saturation.

Meanwhile, in places like Birmingham, Salt Lake City, Columbus, and other suggested cities, appealing to a smaller base can get less return.   Basically, Vince is throwing as much :censored: at the wall as he can, knowing the more he has the more will stick.

That being said, I am surprised San Diego wasn't picked, but I imagine that to be a matter because of the AAF already having a team there.   That being said, perhaps if they have a second season they can expand by two teams and they can pick up San Diego and Orlando or something.   The other shocker is the lack of Las Vegas.   The Outlaws were a huge standout of the XFL.   Do the Raiders have an agreement with the city that blocks any other football teams?

As for my appraisal of names I could see happening...

-East-

New York Rescue (FD/PD theme)

St. Louis Sentinels

Tampa Bay Tigersharks

Washington Hawks (double meaning with bird and war supporters)

-West-

Dallas Roughnecks

Houston Apollos

Los Angeles Lawmen (focus on John Wayne/James Arnes Western productions)

Seattle Pilots

Yes, basing an LA team seemingly off the police is a terrible idea, but it's the only thing I can think of Vince being in for.

Although what I'd really like to see (but know Vince will never do) is the Tampa Bay Manatees.   Like the Dolphins, be a Florida team taking a local pride animal that's not seen as a threat and apply it to a contact sport.   Make an angry manatee in a helmet your logo and market with the slogan "Be a MANatee".

EDIT: What's driving me crazy is that I had a New York identity that had green as the primary color and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.   Thought of it in the car.   I took a few hours coming up with the identities in the post.

Something based on the blue collar fishermen would probably also play well to the base Vince is looking for, but what I went with plays better.   Couldn't think of a better name that covers both fire and police.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png