XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

23 hours ago, FFWally said:

Honestly it's a complete play on the original Oilers logo, which is why I love it; and I was not an Oilers fan... but the silver helmet, if only they had gone powder blue! 

What blows my mind is how thought out the Oilers, er, Roughnecks logo is, while the Vipers have a generic logo with little stroke weight that could have made it an interesting logo. 

As for the Star, its inherent to Texas, and its distinct enough to keep them out of hot water. 

I feel like the XFL knew the Vipers were a risky bet and went overly generic on purpose. Maybe they just expected the AAF to fold and move the team to Orlando after a season or two. Almost every other team has a nickname or logo associated with the city. 

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I'd also think that if the NFL wanted to take this on, that slapping an H and star onto the logo wouldn't be enough to deter them. 

Does the NFL own the image of an oil derrick or something? I’m completely ignorant to these type of laws, but there is only so many ways to draw those and the NFL just happened to get there first.

15 hours ago, JLJ said:

Does the NFL own the image of an oil derrick or something? I’m completely ignorant to these type of laws, but there is only so many ways to draw those and the NFL just happened to get there first.

The issue is likelihood of confusion as to the source/ownership of the product.

The NFL and/or the Titans don't own the image of an oil derrick, per se, any more than the league or teams own the image of a star or a horseshoe or the profile of a bird's head.  However, there are pretty striking similarities in the underlying designs, offset only by the star and the H overlaying the bottom of the derrick.  Take those away and the remainder of the design is essentially identical to the Oilers logo.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

The NFL and/or the Titans don't own the image of an oil derrick, per se, any more than the league or teams own the image of a star or a horseshoe or the profile of a bird's head.  However, there are pretty striking similarities in the underlying designs, offset only by the star and the H overlaying the bottom of the derrick.  Take those away and the remainder of the design is essentially identical to the Oilers logo.

Part of the argument would also be, "Is the NFL or the Titans using it enough"? If a logo isn't actively used, will people confuse the two? The Oilers last played 21 years ago, not counting Titans throwback games. In Houston, people will see it an feel (know) it's a rip off, but do lay people know that? If the Oilers derrick were shown to 20 something year olds at a Washington Defenders game, or even a Washington Nationals game, would they say Roughnecks or Oilers?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

Part of the argument would also be, "Is the NFL or the Titans using it enough"? If a logo isn't actively used, will people confuse the two? The Oilers last played 21 years ago, not counting Titans throwback games. In Houston, people will see it an feel (know) it's a rip off, but do lay people know that? If the Oilers derrick were shown to 20 something year olds at a Washington Defenders game, or even a Washington Nationals game, would they say Roughnecks or Oilers?

It's an interesting questions.  Consumer surveys are a big part of trademark cases.  In this case, I'd be curious to know how it would play out.

I'm 52 years old, so I have very vivid memories of the Oilers.  On the other hand, I know my sports (and my logos) well enough to know the difference between the Oilers and the Roughnecks.  The hypothetical 20 year old would make for an intriguing test case.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

2 hours ago, leopard88 said:

It's an interesting questions.  Consumer surveys are a big part of trademark cases.  In this case, I'd be curious to know how it would play out.

I'm 52 years old, so I have very vivid memories of the Oilers.  On the other hand, I know my sports (and my logos) well enough to know the difference between the Oilers and the Roughnecks.  The hypothetical 20 year old would make for an intriguing test case.

A quick survey of the NFL's online store indicates they are still selling a lot of Oilers throwback gear. The Oilers haven't bee a thing since 1998, but it's disingenuous to imply that the NFL or Titans have let the brand die.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, IceCap said:

A quick survey of the NFL's online store indicates they are still selling a lot of Oilers throwback gear. The Oilers haven't bee a thing since 1998, but it's disingenuous to imply that the NFL or Titans have let the brand die.

I agree with this.  The XFL would have little to no hope of succeeding in claiming the Oilers mark has been abandoned.  They would probably sound foolish even raising the argument.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

This is where you canhave a disconnect from that, because unless I'm on nflshop.com or Fanatics, am I really looking for that specific thing? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

This is where you canhave a disconnect from that, because unless I'm on nflshop.com or Fanatics, am I really looking for that specific thing? 

🤷‍♂️I'm just saying...the Titans and/or NFL are still selling Oilers gear. They own the trademark, and the Houston Roughnecks are clearly trying to leach some of that association for their own branding.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, leopard88 said:

The NFL could win a lawsuit on “if he didn’t have a penis he’d be a girl?” Those elements of the logo are essential to what the logo is. Hypothetically removing them to prove it might look like another logo is wild. Thanks for the education.

12 hours ago, JLJ said:

The NFL could win a lawsuit on “if he didn’t have a penis he’d be a girl?” Those elements of the logo are essential to what the logo is. Hypothetically removing them to prove it might look like another logo is wild. Thanks for the education.

They are essential elements to the Roughnecks logo, but they overlay the entirety of the Oilers logo.

One way to think about it is that, realistically, the Roughnecks logo would not be what it is if the Oilers logo didn't already exist (i.e., they almost certainly would have gone in another direction).  Instead, they chose the logo they did because there is inherent value and goodwill associated with the Oilers logo.  At a minimum, you would have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

• Like 6

It is funny I joking told some people when the XFL season started and I had first seen the Houston logo.  That it looked like what an alternate reality incarnation of the Oilers would probably look like now had they never moved and been purchased by the Mcnair family. 🧐

• Like 3

#DTWD #GoJaguars

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

They are essential elements to the Roughnecks logo, but they overlay the entirety of the Oilers logo.

One way to think about it is that, realistically, the Roughnecks logo would not be what it is if the Oilers logo didn't already exist (i.e., they almost certainly would have gone in another direction).  Instead, they chose the logo they did because there is inherent value and goodwill associated with the Oilers logo.  At a minimum, you would have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

Yeah, it wouldn't be hard to make a case for substantial similarity in this instance. Based on the history of these sort of cases, if the Oilers still existed, they would easily win if they were to sue. Both Creighton and Southern Miss ran into this issue with their logos, both are required to be used in application with either the team name or an identifying letter. These examples are also really good examples of why the "30% different is okay" claim that designers make is a load of crap and generally disavowed in IP legal analysis.

untitled-14.jpg?w=1000&h=507

Southern-Miss-Logo.ashx?la=en&hash=00CB1

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Image result for wildcatters hockey

They could have gone in this direction as well, and I guess you could say Houston's logo is a mix of this and the Patriot current logo.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oilers+American Red/White/Blue + Patriots = Houston Roughnecks. Simple formula. Not much white, but implied. I thought I'd hate it but it grew on me.  As for the Vipers double green, I bet they wanted a distinctive garish look that would remind folks a bit of the distinctive garish original Buccaneers. 

• 2 years later...

2 years later.... seems like the re-return of the XFL is starting to gear back up for 2023. XFL twitter page has blacked out their profile pic and banner, and tweeted out what seems to be a hint at a new logo coming tomorrow. Very interesting move here.

I would venture to say this could also mean something bigger. I doubt a name change, but we will see.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)