XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

Meh, the names are okay, the logos are sub-par. They all feel generic and disconnected, which is not really what you want in a start-up league. The Vipers logo in particular looks really different to the rest, and I think it's because the lines are thinner. The rest all look fine, I guess, not a huge fan of Houston's, the blue and red look too dark in my opinion. Kinda upset they didn't go with Gargoyles for New York (it seemed inevitable, but I guess not), but Guardians works as a substitute. Overall, I think the AAF looked better, and much more cohesive, since looks were just about the only good thing about that league.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

Assuming the logos posted on the main site are the final, official logos, the vector work is incredibly sloppy. There's vector points that should connect but don't and nearly all of the corners are rounded for no apparent reason. The curves are almost all wonky as well and the logos that should be symmetrical (St. Louis, Tampa Bay) for some reason appear to have each side drawn separately instead of being mirrored.

• Like 2

2043050vl19qK6.gif

My thoughts.

Houston: Not a fan of their branding. There's not much more you can do with an oil derrick logo that hasn't already been done. Don't like the forced H. With a name like Roughnecks, you'd think the emphasis would be an oil worker instead of the derrick.

Dallas: Not wild about the name Renegades. The logo reminds me of the a ninja character from a 16 bit graphics era video game.

LA: I actually like "generic names" in sports like wildcats, hawks and bulldogs. With that said their primary logo should have been a cat. The "LA" logo is alright.

Seattle: I actually like their logo despite it's similarities to UAB's. Perhaps I'm the only that sees the two logos as two different types of creatures. When I see UAB's dragon, I think of something I might stalk me in a medieval forest, or maybe even a dungeon. Seattle's looks like something that you encounter at sea.

New York: I see a lion, not a gargoyle. It's a good logo. I see this being the logo from XFL 2.0 that ends up being highjacked by high school, youth and semi-pro teams the way the Hitmen's H logo has been from the first run.

Tampa: Like the name. Understand why the main logo is just a letter instead of a snake. With two teams in this league named after serpentine creatures, it may have been done to avoid any confusion (may also be the case why LA has no cat logo, with NY's logo resembling a lion). Interested in seeing this teams uniforms the most given the logo colors.

DC: Not wild about the name. If DC doesn't have the best defense in this league, that name will come back to bite them. The logo makes me think Indy punk band more than it does football or military.

St Louis: Not feeling the name. The logo gives off a slight religious vibe to me. Something about a sword with wings says crusades to me.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 minute ago, 4_tattoos said:

Houston: Not a fan of their branding. There's not much more you can do with an oil derrick logo that hasn't already been done. Don't like the forced H. With a name like Roughnecks, you'd think the emphasis would be an oil worker instead of the derrick.

Based on the amazing sleuthing done earlier I’m certain that oil derrick logo will be the secondary even though it’s presented as the primary. 

This screams helmet logo since it’s a dead ringer for flying Elvis.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

and I still stand by my cfl is weak ass comment many months later. I’ve felt this way for years. 

The league that's existed since the 30s with multiple teams older than the oldest NFL team is "weak ass?" The CFL has survived while every other "alternative" league you could fawn over died. 

1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

they need need to settle the Canadian football vs American football debates once and for all.

What debate? American leagues play American football, Canadian leagues play Canadian football. I was unaware there was a "debate" at all.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The league that's existed since the 30s with multiple teams older than the oldest NFL team is "weak ass?" The CFL has survived while every other "alternative" league you could fawn over died. 

What debate? American leagues play American football, Canadian leagues play Canadian football. I was unaware there was a "debate" at all.

Years ago I was arguing about cfl vs what ever league on the web with some guy from Canada. He had all these preposterous claims of and this is my all time favorite one ever. 😂😂😂

He claims: The 1984 Blue Bombers would’ve destroyed the 1984 49ers (

basically CFL vs NFL champs of that time). Never laughed harder in my life yet it had me thinking. Is the CFL really that good?  Uh. Nah! 

It would be kind of fun to see some NFL-CFL match ups. I really do wanna know. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

42 minutes ago, Ark said:

A bit of a stretch but I see it

diIOToa.png

It’s black n white too me.  I bet it was intentional. Hopefully we find out someday. Information on these logos are very scant as of now. 

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

50 minutes ago, missouri tigers said:

Assuming the logos posted on the main site are the final, official logos, the vector work is incredibly sloppy. There's vector points that should connect but don't and nearly all of the corners are rounded for no apparent reason. The curves are almost all wonky as well and the logos that should be symmetrical (St. Louis, Tampa Bay) for some reason appear to have each side drawn separately instead of being mirrored.

I don't think they're official. This copy of the Vipers logo from the team's Twitter account doesn't appear to have those issues.

spacer.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

24 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Is the CFL really that good?  Uh. Nah!  

I don't really care much about whatever arguments you've gotten into in the past.
What I do know is that as far as "alternative" football leagues go? Every other attempt (save the AFL) wishes it had the track record the CFL has. Keep tossing these failed "alternative" leagues out there if you want, the CFL will still be going strong.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't really care much about whatever arguments you've gotten into in the past.
What I do know is that as far as "alternative" football leagues go? Every other attempt (save the AFL) wishes it had the track record the CFL has. Keep tossing these failed "alternative" leagues out there if you want, the CFL will still be going strong.

And I don’t care how much of a CFL homer boy you are. Just don’t get too touchy when I say the CFL is weak ass. Because it is.  Sorry buddy 

and it’s clear we don’t care much for each other. I’m staying in my lane dood. Don’t go crying to the moderators either.  Let’s just keep it at this.  Bye dood!

3 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

And I don’t care how much of a CFL homer boy you are. Just don’t get too touchy when I say the CFL is weak ass. Because it is.  Sorry buddy 

What exactly is "weak ass" about a league that's been healthily chugging along for close to a hundred years? Look, you're obviously an alternative football fanboy, and you desperately want some league to cling to. And I guess the CFL being Canadian doesn't scratch your itch, so you'll cling to any American option that comes your way. For all your trash talk about the AAF now? You were singing their praises mightily back when they launched.

I look forward to your impassioned defence of the American Patriot League once the XFL 2.0 burns out.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Atlanta and Salt Lake AAF logos were remarkable in the amount of detail they displayed without resorting to cheap faux-3D effects.  They were a testiment to the proposition that anything can be done in the two legitimate dimensions. On top of that, the Atlanta wordmark was superb.  (The Salt Lake wordmark less so, for it incorporated shadows.)   @CaliforniaGlowin mentioned "love at first sight" of the Birmingham AAF logo.  However, to me that's the only clunker in that league, due to its clumsy use of bevels, shadows, and depth.  Every other AAF logo and wordmark had plenty of merit; and the use of colour by Arizona, Atlanta, and Salt Lake was most impressive.

The XFL logos keep to a good standard, generally higher than the first time around (due mainly to the absence of abominations such as the Rage and the Maniax).  Of the XFL logos, the strongest are the ones using letters: Los Angeles, Houston, Tampa Bay.  St. Louis's graphic logo is impressive; though it, too, contains a kind of hidden letter-based component.  The only bad logos are Dallas's, which is blocky and clunky, and New York's, which is undecipherable at smaller sizes.  All of the wordmarks except Dallas's are good, being distinctive and full of personality.  As far as colours, the ones chosen for Los Angeles and for Tampa Bay are the most striking.  It's nice to see bright rather than dull shades.

However, taken as a group, the AAF's logos and wordmarks come out a step or two ahead of the XFL's.

aalf.jpg          Illustration for article titled The New XFL Team Names And Logos Are Something Worse Than Bad

Of this group of 16, the best logo overall is that of Los Angeles; and the best non-letter logo and best wordmark clearly belong to Atlanta.

First, I’d actually be super interested in a 16 team league with them. Really would love to catch an Apollos v Dragons game or maybe a Hotshots v Guardians game. Both would be great logo matchups Atleast.

Second, how is LA’s logo the best? It’s a good monogram sure, but I really think the Hotshots, Dragons, Apollos, Guardians and Fleet are all better. Maybe even add in the Renegades and Defenders. 

• Like 2

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

6 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

First, I’d actually be super interested in a 16 team league with them. Really would love to catch an Apollos v Dragons game or maybe a Hotshots v Guardians game. Both would be great logo matchups Atleast.

Second, how is LA’s logo the best? It’s a good monogram sure, but I really think the Hotshots, Dragons, Apollos, Guardians and Fleet are all better. Maybe even add in the Renegades and Defenders. 

Now that I see the AAF and XFL logos back to back, I kinda wonder what would happen if you took the Legends' crown and put it on top of the Wildcats' LA monogram. Might make a good Kings concept, right?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

What exactly is "weak ass" about a league that's been healthily chugging along for close to a hundred years? Look, you're obviously an alternative football fanboy, and you desperately want some league to cling to. And I guess the CFL being Canadian doesn't scratch your itch, so you'll cling to any American option that comes your way. For all your trash talk about the AAF now? You were singing their praises mightily back when they launched.

I look forward to your impassioned defence of the American Patriot League once the XFL 2.0 burns out.

I’m only trash talking the uniforms and logos. It was decent football still. I mean I could trash talk a lot more about AAF if one wanted too. After what was found out. After believing they were running a good operation saying the money was there for 3 years at least. . Yes one has the right to be bitter and pissed. 

American Patriot alliance won’t play a down. Either will the freedom league. 

This is the last chance for spring ball. 

But on the other hand this is a dying sport. It won’t be around 40 yrs from now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

I’m only trash talking the uniforms and logos. It was decent football still. I mean I could trash talk a lot more about AAF if one wanted too. After what was found out. After believing they were running a good operation saying the money was there for 3 years at least. . Yes one has the right to be bitter and pissed. 

American Patriot alliance won’t play a down. Either will the freedom league. 

This is the last chance for spring ball. 

But on the other hand this is a dying sport. It won’t be around 40 yrs from now. 

Spring ball... the thing no one is asking for and no one watches as a result

random thing: my brain's been so conditioned to Tampa ''Bay''  didn't even realize at first that the Vipers are just Tampa

• Like 4

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75