XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

I really feel mixed over the unveiling.  I think for the most part, the names are good...my only complaints being "Battle" added to Hawks and the overused Wildcats name.  

1.  Guardians: love the logo even if it looks like an Egyptian lion and not a gargoyle.  Colors are good.

2.  BattleHawks: love the logo and colors.

3.  Renegades:  wow, a western masked man.  Maybe the 1000th ever done.  Logo is okay but seems to miss something.  Good color scheme. Decent name.

4.  Defenders:  Very conservative almost throwback feel to it.  Not bad but not great as it's solidly done.  Given the current political climate, I'm surprised at the use of red and white...reminds me of hats we've seen in the news the last few years.

5.  Dragons: Love the name.  0 points for the UAB logo infringement.  Colors are okay.

6.  Roughnecks: Great name but I a Houston Oilers logo modified in an attempt to rip it off.  The logo is not bad, but it's a closer copyright infringement than the original Jaguars logo.  My only points are for the name.

7.  Vipers: Awesome name but the primary logo is a weak secondary at best.  Colors are good.  Love wordmark.  I feel like the potential of this identity was completely left behind.  Feels mailed in...more like a farm arena league with a budget of $5 for marketing.

8.  Wildcats: Dumb name.   Dumber logo.  I like the color combo but couldn't they have at least tried to have an actual wildcat logo? The L and A are not even the same style font.  Did someone's awesome proposed logo get eaten by the dog and the leftovers were taped together?  Even the secondary claw logo is unoriginal...hello, early Orlando Predators.  This is the only outright fail.

At least we have all 8 teams with plural names.  Does anyone know who the designer was?

11 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Funny, because I thought Atlanta had the weakest logo package in the league. 

Agree 1,000% 

I actually found the very same official logo of theirs in a search and it was freaking clip art.  Not similar but the same logo (minus the football).  It was weak and any agressive look to it had been neutered.

4 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

[The Houston logo is] the new XFL mark that is the most likely to be negatively impacted when reduced in size.

Take another look at the small version of that New York logo. Its details are completely indecipherable. It looks like nothing so much as the back of a stop sign with a few pieces missing.

Whereas, in the Houston logo, both the H and the derrick remain visible even at small sizes.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Soblito said:

I did my own version of a RENEGADES logo, which I think is better. Does anyone know how I can post a jpeg of it on this site? Can I have someone do it for me, if I

send the jpeg?

Open an account on imgur or another free image hosting site.  Post it there, copy the URL, and hit the bright blue “Insert other media” button below. 

Posting concepts to a news thread is generally frowned upon, though - there’s a whole “Concepts” board where you can do that.  

On 8/21/2019 at 8:19 PM, AgentColon2 said:

I don’t know about that LA logo for football, but it makes a helluva baseball logo.

spacer.png

If that was the sleeve logo and the paw was the helmet logo I could see that working. I think we'll see the opposite though. 

When the XFL was showing off the Generals logos I was hoping that meant that any new logos would be held to the same standard. In my opinion that didn't happen. They didn't need to take Dane's previous logos and re-purpose them, but they should have been able to get something better than what was revealed for most of the teams. The AAF logos were better, in my opinion, but I'm more worried about good football that can stay on the field for more than one season than I am what the logos look like. I feel like San Antonio proved that minor league football can still work if it's marketed properly. And if everyone else is getting a secondary and probably tertiary logos, we may see some items that make for better helmet logos than the original logos that came out on release day. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Posting concepts to a news thread is generally frowned upon, though - there’s a whole “Concepts” board where you can do that.  

Maybe we're talking about different things here but I often post "concepts" when referencing why I think something doesn't work or what changes could be made to make an existing look better. Seems a more effective way of illustrating my thoughts than simply saying "I think this would look better without the x.y. or z"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Maybe we're talking about different things here but I often post "concepts" when referencing why I think something doesn't work or what changes could be made to make an existing look better. Seems a more effective way of illustrating my thoughts than simply saying "I think this would look better without the x.y. or z"

We have a separate concepts section for a reason. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

We have a separate concepts section for a reason. 

I'm confused. So you are saying it's poor form to say in the LA Rams new uniform thread "I think the Rams throwbacks would look better without the white stripe on the pants" and then mock it up so it's easy to see? Seems odd to censor this type of discussion.  

I think they adopted a zero-tolerance policy because in actual practice it wasn’t “let me photoshop the uniform without the stripe”, it was “let me show you my total uniform overhaul”.   And then the whole thread becomes about the relative merits of the concept.

It’s possible that tiny tweaks would pass muster.  But a redesign of the logo?  That probably does deserve its own thread. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I'm confused. So you are saying it's poor form to say in the LA Rams new uniform thread "I think the Rams throwbacks would look better without the white stripe on the pants" and then mock it up so it's easy to see? Seems odd to censor this type of discussion.  

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think they adopted a zero-tolerance policy because in actual practice it wasn’t “let me photoshop the uniform without the stripe”, it was “let me show you my total uniform overhaul”.   And then the whole thread becomes about the relative merits of the concept.

It’s possible that tiny tweaks would pass muster.  But a redesign of the logo?  That probably does deserve its own thread. 

Goth hit it out of the park. If you wanted to show off what the Rams' throwbacks would look like without the white stripe on the pants that's fine. Go ahead. 

If you're just posting a whole new uniform design you would prefer instead though? Sorry. That should go in the Concepts section. 

• Like 3