XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think they'll be going with the 2020 look, with the league logo on the right chest and the manufacturer logo on the left chest. 

Yeah, especially if Under Armour gets the uniform contract.  Their logo paired with just the X would look wonky.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:09 AM, BBTV said:

I don't know if the style guide allows for abbreviated versions of the logo, but they could go with just the "X" under the collar.

At the end of the day, the league branding isn't that critical to its initial success or failure, so the fact that it looks like the logo for software that used to be sold at Babbages shouldn't be a big deal.

This is the appropriate way to brand a league jersey.  Centered.  Will be interesting if UA decides to put the logo on the left chest as they typically do, or if they'll opt instead for one on each cap sleeve, as Nike does for the NFL (but not college & below).  Personally, I'd prefer the logo(s) on the sleeves; if not, and you don't have something on the right chest of the jersey, it becomes unbalanced, and then you have to come up with something to put there, which just starts busying up the front of the jersey.  

Nike & NFL did at least get that part right (initially...until the Rams unis hit).

21 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Yeah, especially if Under Armour gets the uniform contract.  Their logo paired with just the X would look wonky.

Another reason why the UA logo should go on each sleeve, and not the left chest.  

However, because these leagues never get it right, I'm guessing we'll get the XFL logo on the right chest, the UA logo on the left chest, and nothing on the front collar, leaving it looking incomplete.

spacer.png

That is the logo of the entity sending the C&D to the XFL. While I personally don't think there would be any confusion, I suppose this is like most of these situations: Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe (founders of Togethxr) felt it was a necessary step to protect their brand.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

2 hours ago, ralphz said:

Doubtful. I don't think people are going to confuse the XFL with a media company called Togethxr. 

The X's aren't the same shape and half of the other brand is a simple outline. I think they'll be fine. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The X's aren't the same shape and half of the other brand is a simple outline. I think they'll be fine. 

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Now while I'm not a copyright or trademark attorney, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Expre--I'm playing. But from what I've recently learned about trademark and copyright law not to mention the ethics involved in all this stuff, Rapinoe and Bird may well have a good leg to stand on concerning intellectual property. I don't have my notes right in front of me, but (I believe) it depends on whether they pursue the copyright infringement avenue or plagiarism avenue. Granted, before all this I never even heard of the TogetherX thing or whatever it is, BUT a split X rendered in black and white is what they had, and the XFL came right behind them, so it seems, with their own version of a split black-and-white X logo.

That alone could be enough to stop the XFL in its tracks. This also makes the point of due diligence...make SURE you do your due diligence, as best you can, before nailing down and moving forward with a visual identity package. Better to prevent all this altogether than to run the risk of lengthy litigation. 

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

From that article:

"Matters of this nature can also become an effective mechanism for free publicity, whether a given company is the party responding to or issuing the cease-and-desist letter. For example, many who will become aware of this dispute likely had never heard of Togethxr."

On 4/8/2022 at 9:05 PM, Ted Cunningham said:

That is the logo of the entity sending the C&D to the XFL. While I personally don't think there would be any confusion, I suppose this is like most of these situations: Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe (founders of Togethxr) felt it was a necessary step to protect their brand.

Yeah it could be one of those things where it's just process so they can say that they have a track record of defending their marks just in case there's a situation where there's a more clear-cut infringement.  What's the phrase - if you don't defend your marks then you can lose the rights to?

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/8/2022 at 6:05 PM, Ted Cunningham said:

spacer.png

Yeah, I don't see any confusion so long as the XFL doesn't also sometimes drop the "FL" and use the "X" by itself or without a football (American, not association) to go along with it or something... unless Bird and Rapinoe also have a XFL logo branding using their "X" which would be weird.

I used to work for this company:

b5db12e66a836cb7388d2c48846ddb51.jpg

Yeah, nobody at the company liked that logo.  They changed it (eventually) to this:

DXC_Logo_2021_Purple_Black.pngpost_1638941377_80_1612521039_dxc_mobile

My point is simply that the "split X" (or x as a negative space) has been done before.  It's not going to be confused, in my opinion.

And even though I don't work for them anymore, I think the purple is WAY  WAY better.

• Like 4

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

13 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

Yeah, nobody at the company liked that logo.  They changed it (eventually) to this:

My point is simply that the "split X" (or x as a negative space) has been done before.  It's not going to be confused, in my opinion.

And even though I don't work for them anymore, I think the purple is WAY  WAY better.

I like the first logo… WAY more unique and I’m a sucker for negative space. The wordmark is trash.

They Axe body spray’d the second logo. I like it,  but it’s forgettable.

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

13 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

And they'll probably use the negative space logo on the Manchester United jerseys. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...