Cincinnati Reds: Time For A Change?

The Cincinnati Reds have worn their current set since 2007, and while it is an improvement over the BFBS era of 1999-2006, I have never been a fan of the black-billed road caps and gimmicky font.  Is it time for a change?  If so, which direction should they go?

I will forever be a fan of the simple yet elegant set of 1968-71, and I'd love to see it return.  I've said it before, but if they had just kept that look from that point forward, they would be considered unchangeable classics along with teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, and Cardinals.  While I loved the pullovers and elastic waistbands as a kid in the 1970s, I now regret that the greatest seasons in the history of the franchise happened in those, rather than the more traditional set that proceeded them.

As for the current set, they have lasted longer than most in the history of the franchise.  Here's a rundown of their previous looks dating back to 1939, ordered by length of tenure:

1972 - 1992 (21 seasons) -- Pants leg stripe and second red sleeve stripe added 1988-92

Click to go backClick to go back

1939 - 1955 (17 seasons) -- Blue highlights 1939-46, Red highlights 1947-55

2007 - Present (12 Seasons) 

Click to go back

1999 - 2006  (8 seasons)

Click to go back

1993 - 1998 (6 Seasons)

Click to go back

1961 - 1966 (6 Seasons)

Click to go back

1956 - 1960 (5 Seasons)

Click to go back

1967 - 1971 (4 Seasons) -- Pinstripes on home uniform for 1967 season only

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything from the 50s and 60s looks fantastic (except the one with blue trim). I especially love the vests with the red undershirts, but only if they were true vests, rather than a normal cut with the sleeves cut off. Black has gotta go. Been way too long.

45 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The black has to go. Save it for merchandise.

Red and white look so good together on the uniform. 

i dont see why it HAS to go. the argument can be made that red, white, and black look great together too.

besides the point of "i dont like it" im not seeing a real issue here. if you do a font that's not "gimmicky" then what do you do, a tailswept-script like everyone else? if we're throwing out suggestions, im for red, white, and gray which would put a nice spin on the identity but i still don't think anything NEEDS to change

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Yes. They need to change. The black needs to go from the uniforms, and at very least, they need to lose the black-brimmed cap (which is only seen in the bottom half of innings on the road). Their number/name font is awful and too "olde tyme baseball" like some crappy independent minor league team calling itself the Mudville Nine would wear. They should bring back the 70s-90s font, which is unique despite being a block font.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

2 hours ago, henburg said:

I think that the Reds current look is pretty great. I'm not sure how the font they use is gimmicky at all. I would be happy with the removal of black but it doesn't hurt the look too much to me at all. 

It's not. "Gimmicky" is one of those words that gets thrown around a lot here, just like "lazy." I mean, at the end of the day, a gimmick is basically just something that identifies and sells any given product or team. Every team has a gimmick in that sense.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not really sure how you'd top this;

PETE-ROSE-Cincinnati-Reds-1969-Majestic-Screen-Shot-2017-10-05-at-8.27.07-PM.png

This look would be considered a modern classic on par with the Yankees, Tigers, and Dodgers had they kept it. For good reason too.

I'll take the 67-71 set, sans pinstripes. 

I'm not a fan of red pinstripes and we already have them in Philly.

I think red and white is a great combo and since it's so traditional, old-school block font works best.   

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'd love to see a return to the 1993-1998 look.  So clean and dignified: just red and white, no black.

Related image

Image result for cincinnati reds 1995

I don't usually like the way vests look in baseball, but I'd take these back in a heartbeat. A small change, though: no pinstripes on the hats. White with red bill for home, grey with red bill for road, solid red with home alt red tops for the weekends.

Archived