Jungle Jim

Cincinnati Reds: Time For A Change?

5 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

The Reds are never going to come up with anything that looks better than this.

Just go back to them and call it a day.

Pretty much, yeah, but not with those giant player names! Yeesh!

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

Pretty much, yeah, but not with those giant player names! Yeesh!

Yeah, that's negotiable.  🙂

The photos are really nice.  I watched a lot of the game on tv and they were even better in live action. 

They were an absolute sight to behold on TV today.  But yes, the names were always WAY TOO BIG.  Reduce that font, go with the rest, and never look back.

1 hour ago, Jungle Jim said:

They were an absolute sight to behold on TV today.  But yes, the names were always WAY TOO BIG.  Reduce that font, go with the rest, and never look back.

Holy crap. Are you the one and only Jungle Jim? If so, your stores are insane! The beer section is my Graceland lol.

But anyways I agree with you 100%. The unis they wore today should be their full time ones. With, a requirement of wearing knee high red socks.

It’s funny because growing up watching the Reds it never occurred to me that the lettering for player names was larger than the other teams.  Everyone across the board loved yesterday’s uniforms, but there is a very decent percentage of opinions that the large lettering is an issue if you are considering this design for an everyday uniform in the modern era.  Names like Rose work fine, but Concepcion or Anderson are tall tasks.

bigredmachine2.jpeg

If you compare that photo to the 1990 uniform the letters are still clearly large.  But I think by the early 90s they had begun stitching the letters closer together. 

Cincinnati-Reds-1990-Throwback-Uniforms.

Compare Rose in the first photo to Sabo in the second.  Also, Foster and Morgan in the first compared to Larkin in the second.  Same number of letters but the 90s photo seems to attempt to keep the letters more centered. 

The 1993 move to pinstripes and vest also brought a standard sized font.  With no drop-shadows it works well.  It doesn’t stand out in any good or bad way

421-169Fr.jpg

When they added the black drop shadow in 1999 it did make the font appear a bit larger, and certainly less pleasing to the eye.  The team really should have considered doing a black trim instead of shadow if they had to incorporate black.  But whatever….

screen_shot_2016-01-06_at_8.18.25_am.png

Lastly, the current font, aside from it’s obvious shortcomings, looks a little smaller than what they used from 1993-2006.

74140359.jpeg&c=sc&w=1600&h=1108

If they did change their font, what they’d probably do is use the 1993-1998 font and size.  No it isn’t the BRM uniform, but all things considered and the road that was traveled that seems like a pretty small concession to make if it is even a possibility to make that uniform a reality.  

I think it would also be nice to go to a sleeve patch that is just redlegs head.  Maybe fill in his eyes some more and make him look a little less insane 

63C8A4C2-054D-4CA6-8E96-CF7FC045EE40.png

Paul Householder was almost Jarrod Saltalamacchia bad.

spacer.png

Saltalamacchia would have had to carry over on to the pants on those uniforms.

38 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

I think it would also be nice to go to a sleeve patch that is just redlegs head.  Maybe fill in his eyes some more and make him look a little less insane 

I wonder how this guy would look in all red...

1 hour ago, Buc said:

I wonder how this guy would look in all red...

I think it would be too much red.  In particular, I think the mustache would look really weird.

11 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I think it would be too much red.  In particular, I think the mustache would look really weird.

Theres a concept in the first page or two of this thread that has full bodied mr redlegs and it’s all red.   IMO I think it works better this way.

I'm just saying...if one's gonna eliminate the black, why not go all-in and just go all-red everything...

(I just realized something: is there maybe some kind of way the REDS could potentially work some kind of candy-cane-stripe motif into their identity, maybe as placket or sleeve trim? Just a passing thought...feel free to dismiss.)

13 hours ago, Buc said:

I'm just saying...if one's gonna eliminate the black, why not go all-in and just go all-red everything...

(I just realized something: is there maybe some kind of way the REDS could potentially work some kind of candy-cane-stripe motif into their identity, maybe as placket or sleeve trim? Just a passing thought...feel free to dismiss.)

Now that could be interesting.

Since we're on the subject of Reds uniforms from the 1970s, the dry cleaners that cleaned the team's jerseys put them on prominent display.  It was located on Queen City Avenue in the South Fairmount neighborhood of Cincinnati.  Little did anyone know that those double-knits on those hangers would be worth thousands someday.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:29 PM, THRILLHO said:

Finally someone mentions this. Mr. Redlegs always looks psychotic. I hate it. There's no problem with Mr. Met but Mr. Redlegs looks like he's hiding dead bodies in his basement.

Okay, you know those Raiders shirts that have the raider removing his face to reveal an evil demon skull face? Make those but for Mr. Redlegs and see whether there's anyone around Cincinnati who's not too repressed to wear anything that stupid.

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Finally someone mentions this. Mr. Redlegs always looks psychotic. I hate it. There's no problem with Mr. Met but Mr. Redlegs looks like he's hiding dead bodies in his basement.

I find that to be part of his charm. He has personality that Mr. Met and the other Reds mascots lack. And the mustache is to die for.