Cincinnati Reds: Time For A Change?

On 8/12/2019 at 7:03 PM, Buc said:

I'm just saying...if one's gonna eliminate the black, why not go all-in and just go all-red everything...

(I just realized something: is there maybe some kind of way the REDS could potentially work some kind of candy-cane-stripe motif into their identity, maybe as placket or sleeve trim? Just a passing thought...feel free to dismiss.)

SOCK STRIPES

422c5cd60ced756514e981060ffe3bfa.jpg

Regardless of what they wear above the socks there is absolutely no good reason why they shouldn't be/shouldn't have been wearing these stirrups every single game. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Okay, you know those Raiders shirts that have the raider removing his face to reveal an evil demon skull face? Make those but for Mr. Redlegs and see whether there's anyone around Cincinnati who's not too repressed to wear anything that stupid.

Thanks for the free idea. You could definitely sell it to the OTR crowd. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Indians shirt where Chief Wahoo is removing his face to reveal an Elders of Zion caricature for some reason, everyone gets really mad at me but I keep insisting I was trying to make some good points

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

SOCK STRIPES

422c5cd60ced756514e981060ffe3bfa.jpg

Regardless of what they wear above the socks there is absolutley no good reason why they shouldn't be/shouldn't have been wearing these stirrups every single game. 

That’s just a perfect uniform. Maybe add “REDS” in the counter of the C, but either way, a clean take on that look would be fantastic for Cincinnati.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

6 hours ago, McCarthy said:
7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Okay, you know those Raiders shirts that have the raider removing his face to reveal an evil demon skull face? Make those but for Mr. Redlegs and see whether there's anyone around Cincinnati who's not too repressed to wear anything that stupid.

Why would fans of old-time radio go for this?

Something that OTR fans might like is Mr. Redlegs revealed to be the Great Gildersleeve!

Harold_peary.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 8/14/2019 at 11:23 AM, McCarthy said:

Thanks for the free idea. You could definitely sell it to the OTR crowd

I first read that trying to figure out how you'd go about selling those t-shirts to truckers until I realized you meant "Over The Rhine" and not "Over The Road"...

facepalmm.gif

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 8/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, andrewharrington said:

That’s just a perfect uniform. Maybe add “REDS” in the counter of the C, but either way, a clean take on that look would be fantastic for Cincinnati.

I agree. The inverted "C-REDS" was the best element of the '90s pinstripes.

51zoQ81IwPL._SX425_.jpg

The full oval-like shape isn't necessary, except on gray backgrounds (if you treat white as a "team color" in the same way as the White Sox - which the Reds should).

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

51zoQ81IwPL._SX425_.jpg

The full oval-like shape isn't necessary, except on gray backgrounds (if you treat white as a "team color" in the same way as the White Sox - which the Reds should).

I forgot about those. Give me a red cap and a properly cut vest with the narrow shoulders (not just a sleeveless jersey) and we’re good, with or without pinstripes.

I especially like the high number placement. Nothing looks sillier than a left-chest logo with a right-belly number.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

8 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I forgot about those. Give me a red cap and a properly cut vest with the narrow shoulders (not just a sleeveless jersey) and we’re good, with or without pinstripes.

I especially like the high number placement. Nothing looks sillier than a left-chest logo with a right-belly number.

They need a more basebally number font.  The 2 looks more like someting you'd see on a hockey jersey rather than baseball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:
On 8/14/2019 at 7:28 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Why would fans of old-time radio go for this?

Something that OTR fans might like is Mr. Redlegs revealed to be the Great Gildersleeve!

Harold_peary.jpg

I dunno about that.

For a long time, I thought Mr Redlegs reminded me a bit of 40's actor Jerry Colonna.

Eu25YLKU_400x400.jpg

Jerry-Colonna-Photo-Print.jpg

year-1971-stars-walt-disney-jerry-colonn

Outstanding!  

I don't ask questions; I just have fun!

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They need a more basebally number font.  The 2 looks more like someting you'd see on a hockey jersey rather than baseball.

In what way? Angled 2s are not exclusive to hockey or any other sport. It’s just an athletic block typeface. A classic style with a unique quirk, at least to me, is a much better option than putting half the teams in the same style of number.

Heck, the most “basebally” typeface of them all has an angled 2.

It’s a bit incongruous that people want teams to have their own unique identities and cry foul when manufacturers try to homogenize custom details for the sake of efficiency... until it comes to a unique number set. Obviously it’s par for the course for designers to go too far, but this happens even if it’s still a very classic style with traditional roots and very subtle quirks.

I’d like something that’s definitely a serif block font, but with plenty of old-school charm. A cleaned up version of this would be good (credit to Matt Malinoski, a Uni-Watch poster) :

8904911514_5037fb6821.jpg

Of course, slab-serif (and a slab-serif “Cincinnati” wordmark) would also be welcome.

I know there is some discussion over on the 2019 MLB thread, but I prefer to keep my remarks in this Reds thread. 

While acknowledging the shortcomings of double knit pullovers and elastic waistbands, and while acknowledging they’re never coming back, I wanted to note that it was very fun to see the Reds in them this weekend because of the memories of the uniforms.  I’ve got a couple posts in here suggesting that I’m open to conceding on a couple elements in the interest of making a lot of people happy.  Well when you see the 69, 76, and 90 throwbacks in action….all red and white and a no frills font….it is really hard to beat that for the Reds.  

The discussion about the oversized names is interesting.  I never noticed before this weekend where others have written about how the Reds moved to a larger number and slightly smaller name in the later version of their pullover uniform.  I think v 2.0 is pretty strong on the name/number.  Having a name that is slightly larger than league average is an attractive uniform element that would be in keeping with history and make them unique.  Check out Aquino in both versions.  The 1990 uniform is an upgrade over the 76 IMO.

35F7A2CE-987B-4F66-B591-75BBF553058E.png

D1B3D9A1-0D9D-4A11-A28E-F29DC9F77486.jpe

On 8/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, SFGiants58 said:

51zoQ81IwPL._SX425_.jpg

HARD disagree. I always thought that looked like a photo negative. The full oval-like shape is necessary because it contains all the elements into one shape, which is what makes it a logo. There was too much white space around REDS for my liking, especially if you place it on a grey, black, red background. The best solution is to simply thicken the red stroke around the entire thing like so

spacer.png

Also, the white C on the jerseys matches the white C on the hat because the perfect Reds hat is a red crown with a white C.

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

The 1990 uniform is an upgrade over the 76 IMO.

35F7A2CE-987B-4F66-B591-75BBF553058E.png

D1B3D9A1-0D9D-4A11-A28E-F29DC9F77486.jpe

This has always been my position. The 1990 uniforms (which debuted in 88) were the clean conclusion to the 1970's pullover look. They added a pants stripe, which matched the elastic waistband and changed the sleeve cuffs to match as well so the whole thing is a more cohesive statement top to bottom. The number font was taller, leaner, less boxy, but still distinctive to the Reds. It's a great example of how aligning small details and consistency of elements can make a uniform that much better. This is why my ideal Reds uniform has always been the 1990 unis with buttons and belts.

Plus those changes resulted in one of baseball's all-time great road uniforms. 

larkin-boniila.jpg&w=641&h=435&c=sc&poi=Related image

as opposed to this where the red wordmark and numbers sit right on top of gray, which clashes with the neck, cuffs, and waistband. The collar, cuffs, waistband and wordmark/numbers are 4 differently presented items, making the whole thing look sloppy. 

Image result for eric davis reds

*waits for people to tell me why white outlines are the worst thing to ever to baseball uniforms and they prefer the pre-1988 road uniform.*

PvO6ZWJ.png

@McCarthy 

Taste plays a big part in all this, but I agree with you on these Reds design.  Recently the Reds Instagram account posted a video of Adam Dunn hitting a home run off Jose Lima at GABP when Lima was on the Dodgers.  At that time the Dodgers road uniforms had white outlines around the letters and numbers and it had a headspoon on the road uniform.  For me the dodgers road uniform is more attractive without the white and the headspoon.  With the Reds, I’m with you, I prefer the white trim on the letters and numbers for the road grey.  Also, that red/white/red piping on the road greys has carried over to the current road design’s pants and sleeves.  It is one of the things I like about the road design.  They could have included that on the home uniform too.  

Archived