Mexican College Rebrands

raysox

So sometimes your joke ideas COULD be cool!

I found that map and i couldn't stop thinking about it. I really like league structures. That led me down a wormhole of translations and I've sort of decoded what Mexico's college football system is like.

Basically the ONEFA (pictured above) is full of schools in 3 divisions, two better divisions (Green and white) then a lower division for newer teams (red). There's also the CONADIEP, which is a breakaway league. They're mostly the better teams, but the winner of CONADIEP and ONEFA play for the title game. 

My issue is that the branches of colleges use the same logos and stuff, just different city names attached. There's literally 6  Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey around the country all with the same Wild Sheep logo. As you can see, if the logos aren't rip offs of other schools, they're mostly just duplicates or crude.

SO THAT'S WHERE I COME IN.

I'm not sure how much or what I want to do. But I do like matching styles(In this case, American college logos) and want to be more intricate with my logos. So rebrands for now, but maybe football uniforms if I get a good template.

UVM-Lomas Verdes Linces (Lynx)

Current:
Image result for uvm LINCES

Mine:

UVM_Linces2_Artboard_1.png

Universidad Autónoma de Chapingo  Toros Salvajes (Wild Bulls)

Old:

Image result for Toros Salvajes logo929e3502891416cec68c9378a4c35d43.jpeg

Mine: A mix of USF and Cincinnati to build their own brand.

Chapingo_Artboard_1.png

Holy cake, just what this board needed, Mexican college rebrands!

It's worth noting that when you get to the private universities, they tend to keep the mascot the same across all of the campuses in their system, and some of these schools are national in scope. (Tec de Monterrey, I'm looking straight at you.) UVM is a private university, and I believe their other schools are also Linces.

If you need any context, let me know. I probably could point you to defunct teams, older designs, or some of the odd splits (read: IPN's two teams, UNAM once had three) in Mexican CFB history. If you've ever gone on /r/cfb, I've done Mexico-related stuff as well as a three-part series in 2016 that was designed to be a quick intro to the long history of Mexican college football.

Thanks Raymie! 

The idea was sort of like how UC-Berkley, UC-SB, UC Davis all have unique brands with the same colors. Was going to explore different brands of nicknames that aren't used. So like Vaqueros, Osos, and Huracan etc. I think a lot of logos may just be retracing logos that are good as they are. but then again the entirety of the project depends on how much information I can get!

And yeah I always do concept series I've never seen before just because I can only do so many Vikings concepts or whatever. It never gets the clicks but I'd love to see your series again!

• 11 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 12:01 AM, raysox said:

UVM_Linces2_Artboard_1.png

So, I like the separate parts of the logo. However, you've got some serious perspective issues going on, which makes the back half the logo appear to be in profile view while the muzzle area is in a 3/4 view. I think this is caused in two places: First, looking at a 3/4 view of a lynx, as you have here with the muzzle area, you would be able to see the opposite side of the Lynx's face.

eurasian_lynx_lynx_lynx_with_cubs_muenst

The second issue I see is where the jaw meets the neck. In your logo, they meet at a clean edge, which would work perfectly for a side-view. I'd suggest making the neck a little bit thicker, and extending the line of the jaw beyond the neck in the same way the bottom of the ear does witg the back of the head. 

Overall, you're very close to absolutely nailing this one. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 1/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, Lafarge said:

So, I like the separate parts of the logo. However, you've got some serious perspective issues going on, which makes the back half the logo appear to be in profile view while the muzzle area is in a 3/4 view. I think this is caused in two places: First, looking at a 3/4 view of a lynx, as you have here with the muzzle area, you would be able to see the opposite side of the Lynx's face.

eurasian_lynx_lynx_lynx_with_cubs_muenst

The second issue I see is where the jaw meets the neck. In your logo, they meet at a clean edge, which would work perfectly for a side-view. I'd suggest making the neck a little bit thicker, and extending the line of the jaw beyond the neck in the same way the bottom of the ear does witg the back of the head. 

Overall, you're very close to absolutely nailing this one. 

I agree that the perspective could have a second look and polish, but I don't think that what you're seeing is a neck; I think it's meant to be the cheek fur. 

Should be a fun series for you to create and us to see!

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived