NoE38

North American Markball League; A Fictional Sport & A Fictional History: 1969 Offseason, Expansion Team Designs Unveiled

I've been looking over this series and you made some excellent work so far.

Also... who would've thought that the New York Knights would be the most snakebitten franchise in all of the NAML? Especially when their entire 21-year history has had ONLY FOUR PLAYOFF APPEARANCES AND ZERO URQUHARDT CUPS!

By the way, could it be time for a 2nd New York NAML team?

3 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

I've been looking over this series and you made some excellent work so far.

Also... who would've thought that the New York Knights would be the most snakebitten franchise in all of the NAML? Especially when their entire 21-year history has had ONLY FOUR PLAYOFF APPEARANCES AND ZERO URQUHARDT CUPS!

By the way, could it be time for a 2nd New York NAML team?

Thanks!

Yeah, the two main reasons that the Knights haven't done well are the inability for them to get a superstar, but Phillip Cook might change that. He's been great over the last two years. They've also just been plain unlucky too, to the point where the fans are expecting every 50/50 play to go against them.

As for a 2nd team, There will another round of expansion in 1972, so there's a chance that another borough gets a team. If they don't get it next time, they should at least have another one by the start of the 80s.

7 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Thanks!

Yeah, the two main reasons that the Knights haven't done well are the inability for them to get a superstar, but Phillip Cook might change that. He's been great over the last two years. They've also just been plain unlucky too, to the point where the fans are expecting every 50/50 play to go against them.

As for a 2nd team, There will another round of expansion in 1972, so there's a chance that another borough gets a team. If they don't get it next time, they should at least have another one by the start of the 80s.

What borough of New York City do the NAML Florida Panthers represent?

4 hours ago, TargetToad said:

What borough of New York City do the NAML Florida Panthers represent?

The Knights currently play in Manhattan, although they have been speculated to have interest in a new stadium in Brooklyn.

Tell you the truth, I don't think New York needs a second team just yet. It'd be better to expand the sport in the south and west at this time.

Yeah, I'm with RightGuard on this. Since there was no tradition of having multiple NYC teams, I'm a bit skeptical f where they'd pull in their fanbase. The most plausible way they'd get a second team seems to me to be to have a rival league try to move in.

1 hour ago, Jack3Nimble said:

Yeah, I'm with RightGuard on this. Since there was no tradition of having multiple NYC teams, I'm a bit skeptical f where they'd pull in their fanbase. The most plausible way they'd get a second team seems to me to be to have a rival league try to move in.

I'm in the same boat as you two. Expand across the country first (more southern teams like Miami and Atlanta/New Orleans; more western teams like Phoenix and Portland/Seattle).

Agreed as well. Plus, how do we know there even is an appetite for another markball team if the Knights may have soured the city on the sport? 

Expand south and west. Only way I can see a 2nd team in New York is if they're on Long Island (10-15 years down the line) or TV networks demand a 2nd team in order for the league to get a lucrative contract.

Edited by Red Comet

You guys are right, I should continue expanding the sport across the continent before doubling a city's teams. I hadn't really even thought about a second New York team until that came up. The NAML might not even get a second New York team at all, and just have one in New Jersey. Again, this is just speculation, As i don't have full control over which cities get teams.

I'm most surprised there's still no team in Ohio--Cincinatti and Cleveland are still pretty big at this point, and the timeframe on when markball developed puts it during a time they were some of the biggest cities in the country.