infrared41's Who Am I? Super Bowl LII Edition

infrared41

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

ninersdd gets on the board with Shaun Gayle.

I. Bears (2) and Chargers (1).

II. In the 1985 Divisional Playoff game against the Giants, Gayle returned a punt five yards for a TD. 

III. Super Bowl XX - Bears 46 Patriots 10 and he had nothing to do with Super Bowl XXIV. (Thanks for the heads up, Brian in Boston)

IV. Believe it or not, "The Super Bowl Shuffle" made it to #41 on the Billboard Hot 100 making the '85 Bears the only sports team to ever make the music charts.

V. Because making the Billboard Hot 100 wasn't ridiculous enough, "The Super Bowl Shuffle" was also nominated for a Grammy. It lost to "Kiss" by Prince...who was from Minnesota and I'm assuming was also a Vikings fan.

Prince was, in fact, a Vikings fan.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/sport/prince-death-sports-fan/index.html

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I got extremely curious about this... how exactly does one return a punt 5 yards for a touchdown? Even with a terrible punt into the wind, you'd probably be fair catching it at the 5, right?

I sure do love YouTube...

Starts 5 seconds in. Just a big ol' swing'n'amiss by Sean Landeta! :lol: It wasn't blocked, so it's a legitimate 5 yard punt return TD. Fantastic!

I'm dating myself here, but I remember watching that game. It was windy and I'm sure that was part of it, but I think the other part of why Landeta whiffed was because he was scared :censored:-less of that Bears defense. Whatever the case, that '85 Bears defense was just a joy to watch. Before the '85 Bears, I can't recall people ever going out of their way to watch a team play defense, but they did with that team. It was the best defense I've ever seen. Better than the 2000 Ravens, better than the '13 Seahawks, and dare I say it, better than the vaunted Steelers "Steel Curtain"too. 

I always thought Landeta straight up whiffed on the punt, but watching that video, it looked like maybe his foot barely grazed the ball. Or are my aging eyes just playing tricks on me? 

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

I thought I'd heard that Prince was a sports fan, but I wasn't entirely sure. I just found it amusing that the "Super Bowl Shuffle" was beat out for a Grammy by purple wearing guy from Minnesota.

BB52Big.jpg

Round IV

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of nine Super Bowl appearances.

II. I was the first person to do this in the Super Bowl. It also happened in the BCS National Championship game that season. 

III. I am who he thought I was. 

IV. My last playoff appearance was with a team that I had not played for during the regular season.

Who Am I? 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I always thought Landeta straight up whiffed on the punt, but watching that video, it looked like maybe his foot barely grazed the ball. Or are my aging eyes just playing tricks on me? 

Yeah, he grazed it. So, maybe more accurately a "foul tip" than a "swingandamiss."

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Oops. Oh well. That's not the first time I've botched a clue and it won't be the last. Fortunately, someone still managed to guess it was him. 

EDIT: Did you go to the trouble of double checking my work or was it something you just happened to know? 

Actually, I was going to submit Shaun Gayle as an answer, but I knew that the only Super Bowl that he'd played in was XX with the Bears. I was interested in seeing what other NFL player you'd found that fit all of the criteria that Gayle did... PLUS had suffered a Super Bowl loss with the Chargers. When I saw that you were - in fact - looking for Shaun Gayle, I figured that I'd point out the hiccup. I figured that you'd want to know.      

1 hour ago, waltere said:

Devin Hester?

waltere is on the board with our second consecutive Chicago Bear who wore #23 - Devin Hester. 

I. Bears (2), Falcons (2), Ravens (2), and Seahawks (3).

II. Hester was the first player to return the opening kickoff for a TD in the Super Bowl. Oddly enough, that season's BCS title game between Ohio State and Florida started the same way when Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. returned the opening kick for a TD. 

III. Hester had an 83 yard punt return for a TD in the famous "the Bears are who we thought they were" Dennis Green meltdown game against the Cardinals. 

IV. Hester played the 2016 regular season with the Ravens. He was cut by Baltimore in December of 2016 and then signed by the Seahawks in January and appeared in Seattle's two playoff games that season. 

PhfKQUf.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

16 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Actually, I was going to submit Shaun Gayle as an answer, but I knew that the only Super Bowl that he'd played in was XX with the Bears. I was interested in seeing what other NFL player you'd found that fit all of the criteria that Gayle did... PLUS had suffered a Super Bowl loss with the Chargers. When I saw that you were - in fact - looking for Shaun Gayle, I figured that I'd point out the hiccup. I figured that you'd want to know.      

Thanks, I appreciate the effort. I have no idea why I thought he was on the '94 Chargers. None of the reference stuff I used mentioned anything about him playing in SB XXIV. I just had it in my head that he did. 

Because these things are half off the top of my head and half poorly referenced, I'm always good for a few mistakes along the way. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Round V

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of seven Super Bowl appearances. 

II. I am a veteran of four different professional football leagues. 

III. I was the first player signed by this brand new team is this brand new league. 

IV. I am one of just 20 players to have played in this league for the entirety of its existence.

V. I was one half of the first duo/teammates to both achieve this statistical milestone in a season. We both ended up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame*.

Who am I? 

*Maynard's Wikpedia page says "Although scorned by the New York press as an "NFL reject" in 1960, he teamed with Hall of Famer Art Powell to form the first professional wide receiver tandem to each gain over 1,000 yards on receptions in a season" but as far as I can tell, Art Powell is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 

BB52Big.jpg

Don Maynard.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Don Maynard.

Don Maynard is correct.

I. Giants (5), Jets (1), and Cardinals (1).

II. NFL, CFL, AFL, and WFL

III. According to Wikipedia, Maynard was the first player signed by the then New York Titans of the AFL. 

IV. He is one of 20 players who played in the AFL for the entirety of its existence.

V. Maynard and Titans/Jets teammate WR Art Powell were the first WR tandem to have 1000 yards receiving.

fX5SX49.jpg

Correction from clue V. Maynard's Wikpedia page says "Although scorned by the New York press as an "NFL reject" in 1960, he teamed with Hall of Famer Art Powell to form the first professional wide receiver tandem to each gain over 1,000 yards on receptions in a season" but as far as I can tell, Art Powell is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 

BB52Big.jpg

Round VI

I. The teams I played for have a combined total of four Super Bowl appearances.

II. I was right in the middle of a colorful time in this team's history.

III. I am one of just 11 players to have played in every one of this team's Super Bowl appearances.

IV. You could say that my teammates and I helped legitimize this league, but we would have preferred not to.

V. Had I not been waived, I probably would have played in the same number of Super Bowls, but with a different team and with 100% better results.

Who am I? 

BB52Big.jpg

Mick Tingelhoff?

POTD (Shared)

Alan Page 

POTD (Shared)

Archived