CC97

The Gates Are Closed

Should We Allow Guests to View Topics on the Board Again?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I vote leave the doors open.

Closing the doors won't stop people from stealing, it just makes then have to take a few extra steps to get what they want. Just like the CLUB... sure it's a deterent, but there are ways aorund it, and if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way around it.

Shuffle, don't shuffle... either way is fine by me.

Hello, I just joined today and would like to point out that I frequented this board whenever I came to sportslogos.net.

But I would never, ever come in to try and steal anyone's work :mad: I would just look at some of the concepts the membership had available.

Yes I endorse some security features to make sure everyone's work is protected, but I believe that most of the guest on this board would not think of stealing material.

Therefore I voted yes to open certain boards to guests.

I voted no, for the reason of stealing logos. But after thinking I guess all the guests have to do is register and they can see them, so now im not sure

I'm somewhat in favor of having the gates closed. Not so much for stealing, but for disciplinary control. In conjunction with membership approval, this would help allow Chris to ban certain problem children, and keep them out. Not that its a real big issue, but how often do we run into questions of board policing or the lack thereof?

This could also help Chris drive potential members through his main site, rather than bypassing it to go straight to the boards. Of course, I could be mistaken...

I'm leaning toward keeping them open. I think participation in the boards might eventually drop off if they are kept closed for viewing. I don't think logo theft will be curbed either - the IHA league guy that stole all those logos had a membership.

How about a highly visible disclaimer on the board about not stealing our concepts? That might make a difference.

I'd vote for maintaining open access. You can't stop the stealing. Half of the stuff that's been stolen probably hasn't been found yet. I used to run an extensive site and my custom-made "mugshots" of the celebrities I covered were spread all over the place on personal web pages and as icons/signatures, etc. Legal threats don't matter despite the drain on the bandwidth. Such is life on the Internet. Take the good with the bad.

As this board has evolved, I've become a less frequent poster. I usually come for the news and I must admit the amount of contests and concepts flooding the board is overwhelming. That's not to say I'm not impressed by the amount of talent that has emerged on this board or has been drawn to it, but it's just not my thing to look at 100 different Bulls concepts -- even as a fan (although some of them are amazing). Before I found the switch to turn off signatures, I logged off and viewed as a guest because of how long it took to read a simple thread. The Logolympiad and other trophy signatures, the design company signatures bigger than oversized banners, etc., were just too much.

All that said, that is what this board has become. A forum of just logo news might be a bit dead except on days like tomorrow when the Bobcats unis are revealed or on a throwback weekend. The concepts and contests now seem to be what drives this board, so I tend to think it should stay the way it is, despite the fact it means I'll sift throught a lot of stuff to get what I want. If people steal, so be it. If they signup and steal, what would be the next deterrent? Charge money for exclusive access to a certain board? The Insiders/fanhome started that and I refuse to do it.

The Lounge - Open to viewing, closed to posting - This is how visitors know we are a real community, are real friends, and are real crazy.

Yes, if you are not crazy, youre not in this fourm. MoJoTo is just crazy in another was, stupid crazy, mental crazy. We are just mental, and really really funny crazy.

I say no, for at least a set time, like 3 months. Let things settle.

I think there has been some misreading of my idea.

I definately think news and concepts/contest should be separate forums. Maybe we need a new section, one for logo news, and one for sports in general, but frankly, i'm sick and to death tired of sifting through pages and pages of what every single person thinks the Nordiques, Lighting, and Whalers jerseys should look like, just to see if the infernal Bobcats jerseys have been released yet.

Yes, there IS such thing as too many forums. One to put concepts in would NOT push us over this line.

The whole idea that thingas would get 'ignored' if put in their own category, proves the point that they are unwanted and unloved. If they die out in their own palce, good riddance.

Leave basically everything the way it is, keep the Sports Logos forum, keep the requests forum, add a Contests forum alongside Sports Logos and Requests. Thats it. 4 regular contests at a time, one series. We don't want to have to switch forums for news and concepts.

Sports Logos will be the forum for news and concepts, just the way it is now. We should have a disclaimer in the Sports Logos forum where our concepts will be posted, and the same disclaimer in the Contests forum that will say something like:

"The IHA got caught stealing our logos. If you decide to steal any logos from this site, know that the consequences are heavy, and legal action can and will be taken, as was in the IHA stealing situation. The works done in these forums are property of the designer, and you should confront them before using it for your own purposes."

Not exactly that, but something that will scare non-registered viewers, and let them know we're not playing around.

Close vote---the only problem I have with the gates closed is more a minor inconvenience than anything else--so either's fine with me...

I like to use the "View new posts" link, but if I have to log back off before I can browse the list, it may not show all the posts I missed next time.

So I usually browse thread by thread first & see if I find anything interesting...

But it's a minor thing & I think I've adjusted already...

I agree with paynomind.

The numbers of threads wouldn't change, just the number of rooms they would go in, and only by one (potentially).

If the news-alone page doesn't get many views, then oh well, it's a slow news day or week. There's always something out there, even if it's as non-uniform related as new turf on a field. If guests come in and see that there's a lot more to the board than just news, then they can register.

It's been so long since I registered. Is there a disclaimer for theft of artwork on it, or is that something that could be put on the concepts/requests page? I don't know if a new user might necessarily read the whole thing, but would a legal notice give us any backing if we take potential legal action against someone who infiringes on our proprietary rights? (maybe a question for yh)

There are so many contests and concepts right now, it does take a while to filter out what isn't news. And that's not to say that the contests should dwindle. It's nice to have a choice if you want to enter a contest, and the numbers give one plenty to choose from.

Seriously. Go look at the main page. Concept, contest, concept, concept, contest.

HAS the Bobcats uniform set been released? I'm really asking you.

Well then perhaps we could just have a Uniform Concept only board, and Sports Logos could be a place for news, contests, and logo concepts.

Having a separate forum for logo concepts and a separate for uniform concepts seems a bit unnecessary.

I say all we need is this, only if we absolutely MUST have a separate forum for concepts:

Sports Logos News - open to public

Sports Logos and Uniform Concepts - open to public

Sports Logo Contests - open to public

Requests - closed to public

along with the disclaimer in each forum like i suggested earlier....something along the lines of this:

"The IHA got caught stealing our logos. If you decide to steal any logos from this site, know that the consequences are heavy, and legal action can and will be taken, as was in the IHA stealing situation. The works done in these forums are property of the designer, and you should confront them before using it for your own purposes."

I think logo and uniform concepts should stay together because they usually go together.

One of the main reasons for having a concept only board is so I can lock guests out of there, but let them roam the logos, and general discussion areas. I do have a feeling that seperating them could kill the proposed logo news board

I dont think it would kill the logo news board. It would just allow those stories to breathe, and to be seen by those interested int he news. I know I have heard folks say they were looking for the news on logos and unis, and have to dig through the other stuff to get there.

I am in favor of:

Contests and Concepts (both Uni and Logo)

Logo News

Requests

Sports News

Lounge

graveyard

I dont think it would kill the logo news board. It would just allow those stories to breathe, and to be seen by those interested int he news. I know I have heard folks say they were looking for the news on logos and unis, and have to dig through the other stuff to get there.

I am in favor of:

Logo News

Requests

Sports News

Lounge

graveyard

Agreed! I'm thinking like pnm on this one.

I am in favor of:

Logo News

Requests

Sports News

Lounge

graveyard

So basically the same as now, except a seperate forum for concepts and contests?... that seems to be the popular opinion on the Contests Vote.