Chief Wahoo Departs: Indians remove logo from brand in 2019

CS85

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, the admiral said:

But I think we are headed in that direction. Whereas plenty of ethnic/racial slurs still get a lot of play today, I don't think "redskin" is one of them. 

That sounds like it has more to do with the fact that few of us have any meaningful interaction with the First Nations.

I certainly don't, although in my lifetime I have heard the word used disparagingly while working in Arizona. So it does exist.

Good riddance. I think I’m over a race of people being used as logos and mascots at this point. Even the “respectful” ones that I liked. It just doesn’t make sense anymore.

Honestly, I don’t know if it ever made any sense. Looking back it’s a classic case of the winners shaping history. The natives were basically wiped out leaving rich white men to tell stories about how Redskins is a name of honor or whatever. Not every case is that sinister I know.

I’m glad to see Wahoo go, but the truth is I don’t know if this will ever completely disappear until it starts affecting certain groups. Much like cocaine and opioids weren’t an epidemic until it reached white neighborhoods. I suspect some of those clinging so hard to the “history” of this imagery won’t care until LaVar Ball names one of his JBA teams the Whiteys with a caricature of a white person held in high regard.

Obviously logos aren’t the same as a drug crisis, but it’s well past time we start taking better care of each other. We shouldn’t be arguing with Natives, or people that share their plight because “my favorite team had that logo since my dad was a kid.” I think we can let them have this.

4 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

I’m glad to see Wahoo go, but the truth is I don’t know if this will ever completely disappear until it starts affecting certain groups. Much like cocaine and opioids weren’t an epidemic until it reached white neighborhoods.

From what I've read, black patients are actually underprescribed opioids because of a fallacious belief in a naturally higher pain tolerance or a cultural aversion to relying on pain medication. White people pretty much got in on the ground floor of this one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 minutes ago, Lee Noire said:

I suspect some of those clinging so hard to the “history” of this imagery won’t care until LaVar Ball names one of his JBA teams the Whiteys with a caricature of a white person held in high regard.

I know this was a hypothetical...but let’s face facts...Lavar Ball will never hold much influence in sports, and the response would be quid pro quo, not “Ok, we’ll back down.”

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ugh, why do I feel such a sense of disappointment in this announcement?  I've been looking forward to this for a very long time.

On the one hand, yay! Finally some progress.  It's 2018 and FINALLY there is enough pressure on the franchise that they'll succumb to doing the right thing.  Progress.

On the other hand, if they're finally able to admit their franchise is built around a racist and problematic brand . . . why retain the name?  Why wait a year other than to make tons of money off of wistfully racist nostalgic fans?  Why not relinquish the trademarks, re-brand the franchise, and embrace a new identity instead of clinging to the remaining threads of something that your current actions show you understand to be problematic? 

This is a sad half measure.

Why announce it and make a big deal about it so that these types of arguments between overtly and covertly racist or insensitive people and good people happen?  Just quietly roll out new jerseys that don't have the logo (replace it with an event or anny patch or something so it's not blatantly obvious) and address it with a Tweet or something ("for 2019, Wahoo patch replaced with City of Cleveland Pride patch") and then simply don't bring it back?  Obviously people will know, and the same dummies would get all upset, but I think the damage would be far less by just kinda sneaking him out the door rather than announcing it and making a huge deal of it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

From what I've read, black patients are actually underprescribed opioids because of a fallacious belief in a naturally higher pain tolerance or a cultural aversion to relying on pain medication. White people pretty much got in on the ground floor of this one.

No, you’re right. I guess what I was trying to say is opioids are an epidemic primarily because of its influence on white America. When black folks were going through the cocaine crisis it wasn’t really an issue...until it hit the white community. Cocaine didn’t get the Hogan push opioids did so to speak. I find that weird.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I know this was a hypothetical...but let’s face facts...Lavar Ball will never hold much influence in sports, and the response would be quid pro quo, not “Ok, we’ll back down.”

Maybe, but boy does he really get the blood boiling for some people.

The C makes a 9th leg, but other than that, I'm sold.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, The Six said:

That's not his leg...

A fair number of suggestions here and elsewhere that the Indians need to reach out to Tribes and try to make a respectful logo.

Let me assure you that the ship sailed decades ago. This team has never had a meaningful connection to local Natives or any tribe and was happy to stick with a racist caricature as a logo so long as it was enabled by the fans and the league. Reaching out now, when they've had a century to cultivate such a relationship, in order to save their brand in the face of the general public, would be desperate and insulting in my opinion. Maybe some group would be willing to work with them, but it just seems so pointless and hollow. You can't spend decades pretending it's all fine and good and then ask some indigenous group to bail you out...

A feather would be the best route when it comes to making a logo that looks good and offends less people IF they needed to use Native imagery. But they don't need to use Native imagery. Just move on please (that's for the franchise, not people here). And someday, change the name tooooooo.......

21 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I do remember saying on these boards I had trouble coming up with Cleveland names when someone suggested Commodores. Would that be a good replacement or no?

You might have to explain it initially but it could work. Are you referring to Oliver Hazard Perry?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived