Hey Sparky, Terrific job overall.   Kraken is my clear first choice for it's unique-ness. Please bring back your concept for Kraken from

2013...that was really unique.  Don't re-do it, it was terrific.  I also like your Sockeye concept, and the Sea Lions with brown, light blue or green secondary.  The all-blue Sea Lions is attractive but the logo, without other colors, looks like a bad screen print rather than something

embroidered on a jersey/sweater.  Metropolitans is art deco from 1920s (but terrific).  Emeralds, Totems, Evergreens are lame names.

KRAKEN 2013 PLEASE!

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018-03-27 at 2:02 PM, ScreamingViking said:

I'd say the best pure logo is the Totems-"S"

Best uniform colours are the ones with a green primary. I would really think the OVG will go with green, and why not the Sonics old Green and Gold? Points for the Sawbucks (even though there's no way they risk messing with Starbucks on a similar name).

Though the Sockeyes have a great logo, I just don't see that de-saturated ochre being either a great merchandise seller or a good look on TV. Maybe try the teal as a primary uni colour - though admittedly, you have the Sharks to the south - the ochre is a dynamite secondary/tertiary (see your Kraken concepts).

Best overall unis are the Kraken, love the layout and striping.Also love the Dark green/lime contrast.Works for the Totems too.

Whichever concept wins the BoS, I think you've created a great baseline for what OVG should be shooting for: Green, flora/fauna-themed, and contemporary.

Good critique Viking...thanks

19 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

I think the primary should say "Seattle Emeralds" or something of the sort. 

I might slide the crest over to the sweater front, Jake.

19 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

You nailed the Kraken logo, but I don’t think the colour you used for the home uniform is needed at all (though it’s growing on me). Can we see what a lime green dark jersey looks like?

The dull, dark green might work in the same way the grey works for the Knights. I'll try a lime green version for sure. Thanks L.

2 hours ago, Mike Clarke said:

KRAKEN 2013 PLEASE!

Funny you should mention that Mike. I tried an updated version for the Kraken, but it lost some of its character. I'll stick with the old version...Edge template and all.

Thanks for the response guys...Here are some of the uni options we explored...

NdwlTkH.jpg

8LBywvz.jpg

UWRrhw3.jpg

IjFY2T9.jpg

Sparky, every update post is an embarrassment of riches. You give us so much awesome content!

Not to over-contribute to the conversation, but on second glance at the uni choices, I'm really loving the (Sawbuck?) design with the plaid multi-tone green with yellow trim. Leftmost design on the bottom row.

22 hours ago, ScreamingViking said:

I'm really loving the (Sawbuck?) design with the plaid multi-tone green with yellow trim.

Thanks SV... This plaid uniform is different, in that it is NOT a sublimated effort. It's made by "overlapping" traditional stripe patterns, into a simple design that suggests plaid. The blocks of colour align well with numbers and logos. If a city ever suited a plaid-look uniform, wouldn't it be Seattle? As I mentioned earlier, the green plaid theme could have a huge spin-off in merchandising possibilities with any of the logos/names...

WwSjqn9.jpg

On 28/3/2018 at 11:23 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Good critique Viking...thanks

I might slide the crest over to the sweater front, Jake.

The dull, dark green might work in the same way the grey works for the Knights. I'll try a lime green version for sure. Thanks L.

Funny you should mention that Mike. I tried an updated version for the Kraken, but it lost some of its character. I'll stick with the old version...Edge template and all.

Thanks for the response guys...Here are some of the uni options we explored...

NdwlTkH.jpg

8LBywvz.jpg

UWRrhw3.jpg

IjFY2T9.jpg

I like all the green concepts except for the olive green ones on the top row. Seattle should be a green team regardless of the name.

The two teal concepts on the bottom would make a great alternate for the Sharks.

On 2018-03-29 at 4:04 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

I like all the green concepts except for the olive green ones on the top row. Seattle should be a green team regardless of the name.

The two teal concepts on the bottom would make a great alternate for the Sharks.

Thanks Van...I'm thinking some shade (or shades) of green, or brown, or dark blue-green, or a dark salmon (ochre) red. I like lime green as some sort of secondary colour. I'm steering clear of blues, navy, black or bright red as primary colours.

I'm putting together some "action shots" to see how these concepts look in flight...

TpnmpNn.jpg

NQhitGF.jpgBgMHeD0.jpg

48UQ08X.jpg

3 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Thanks Van...I'm thinking some shade (or shades) of green, or brown, or dark blue-green, or a dark salmon (ochre) red. I like lime green as some sort of secondary colour. I'm steering clear of blues, navy, black or bright red as primary colours.

I'm putting together some "action shots" to see how these concepts look in flight...

TpnmpNn.jpg

NQhitGF.jpgBgMHeD0.jpg

48UQ08X.jpg

I love the Kelly green and white template. I would put the Totems concept on that and add a lighter shade of green as a secondary that's darker than lime green. 

On 2018-04-02 at 10:35 AM, seasaltvanilla said:

The Sockeyes and Sea Lions are far and away the winning designs. Excellent work.

Thanks seasalt...Those two are in the frontrunners right now...

On 2018-04-02 at 8:05 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Sparky..... any plans to do a team with a Red/Brown/Cream scheme? Maybe the SawBucks or Sea Lions? I feel like you've done some outstanding working here all around once again. 

I didn't have any plans to do that KittSmith, but that sounds interesting...might try that with the Sealions.

On 2018-04-02 at 7:30 PM, keithisgood said:

Here's what's going to happen, Sparky. If the Seattle NHL Franchise announces a name/logo package that's not any of these, I'm going to get disproportionately upset. Love the plaid jersey.

Thank you Keith. I'm gonna try the "plaid-cut" with some of the other concepts...

deXjosk.jpg

On 2018-04-02 at 7:42 PM, Jake3.roo said:

What would that look like on a green background?

On 2018-04-02 at 8:56 PM, BellaSpurs said:

A white background would be better 

Thanks...Both suggestions look better...

L0YGotF.jpg

vJGsDAf.jpg

And while we're at it...here's the Emeralds and Evergreens...

t1zb9Iq.jpg

IQFwnBg.jpg

17 hours ago, BrianLion said:

These are all amazing

Thanks BrianLion. They're getting there. Still need a bit of tweaking.

16 hours ago, Bruins said:

Thanks Bruins...The concepts had a big day yesterday which was a lot of fun. Seattle has a lot of options...a lot of different ways they can go.

Also got a shout-out over at Bardown...https://www.bardown.com/graphic-designer-releases-concept-logos-and-jerseys-for-seattle-nhl-team-1.1047341

Sparky, 

I want to say that the overall work is just excellent. There are so many amazing things about the scope and variety of looks included. 

Mets - I think the two color palette is great and I really like the primary. The secondary feels maybe a little over designed. I think it might immediately read cleaner with the removal of a couple of lines. 

Sawbucks - Very clean logo, look. My favorite thing is the faux plaid jersey template. 

Pilots - Really nice logo set. I know you were playing around with one color. Maybe a steel blue, evoking the color of an aircraft carrier? The current color scheme isn't jumping out at me but there's a lot of good stuff here. 

Evergreens - The squirrel is awesome but the primary doesn't jump out at me. It's functional but I don't see it exciting a market. Like I couldn't see myself buying a shirt with the logo. 

Sea Lions - Love the logos. The teal is the strongest color scheme, Sharks be damned. 

Emeralds - Dude. That frog. I would buy every piece of merchandise with the frog. But the only logo in the set I do not like is the primary. It doesn't really read as EC to me. Have you tried an S in a similar design? 

Totems - Really digging it. The S is such a nice logo. I would be very happy with this look. 

Sockeyes - That color scheme is dynamite and I love the Native American influences in the logos. Possibly my favorite. 

Kraken - The primary is awesome. The secondary maybe feels redundant. It's another trident but not as strong of a trident as the primary. It's a banner but the primary just does all the ideas better. It feels uninteresting compared to a strong primary. 

Again, just incredible work overall. 

Archived