1) Seattle Sea Lions - Rendered in the Brown/Tan/Powder Blue/White color scheme, your Seattle Sea Lions primary mark strikes me as being the most dynamic and "major league" of the bunch.

2) Seattle Metropolitans - As I've said elsewhere, your Metropolitans identity says "major league" and "traditional" without coming across as stodgy. I love its iconic simplicity.

3) Seattle Totems - While your Totems marks are strong as is, I think that they could use a bit more work. Right now, I get a slightly runic, ancient Scandinavian vibe from the design. I'd like to see that taken in a direction more clearly influenced by Coast Salish art. To that end, I'd also be interested in seeing the color scheme changed from Deep Green/Neon Green/White to Black/Red Ochre/Deep Teal/White. Short of a redesign of the logos, I feel that if your existing Totems marks were rendered in the Black/RedOchre/Deep Teal/White color scheme, the result would be a "Top 3" identity package for the NHL in Seattle.     

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Whatever came of the cow logo on Page 1? What was it supposed to be?

I remember him addressing this earlier on... I’m looking forward to seeing that too!

On 2018-02-27 at 3:31 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Hi Taylor...I was going to do up a "Seattle Battle Cattle" concept, just for fun (not a serious contender)...we'll see how my time goes...

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

A great series! I asked my wife, who lived a couple years in Seattle, what concept looked most "Seattle." For logos, the Metros wins out. For total concept, the sockeyes and the sea lions seem to both be winners. Those are my top 3! #happywifehappylife 

1 hour ago, ldconcepts said:

I remember him addressing this earlier on... I’m looking forward to seeing that too!

1 hour ago, Section30 said:

I've been wondering the same thing

8 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Whatever came of the cow logo on Page 1? What was it supposed to be?

Yea, it was gonna be The Seattle Battle Cattle, just for fun... but with the weather getting better (I work at an outside job), things are going to get pretty busy, so I'll have enough to try and finish, with the 9 concepts that I have. 

8 hours ago, John King said:

You should do a logo/ concept for Seattle Sasquatch 

If I get the time I wouldn't mind trying that John. That name, however, hasn't been tossed around by the potential ownership group.

35 minutes ago, DeezNutz2 said:

If I had to choose, I’d go with the Metros. 

23 minutes ago, woody86 said:

A great series! I asked my wife, who lived a couple years in Seattle, what concept looked most "Seattle." For logos, the Metros wins out. For total concept, the sockeyes and the sea lions seem to both be winners. Those are my top 3! #happywifehappylife 

Thanks for the input guys...I hear ya on the #happywife thing, woody.

12 hours ago, mania said:

Sparky, 

I want to say that the overall work is just excellent. There are so many amazing things about the scope and variety of looks included. 

Mets - I think the two color palette is great and I really like the primary. The secondary feels maybe a little over designed. I think it might immediately read cleaner with the removal of a couple of lines. 

Sawbucks - Very clean logo, look. My favorite thing is the faux plaid jersey template. 

Pilots - Really nice logo set. I know you were playing around with one color. Maybe a steel blue, evoking the color of an aircraft carrier? The current color scheme isn't jumping out at me but there's a lot of good stuff here. 

Evergreens - The squirrel is awesome but the primary doesn't jump out at me. It's functional but I don't see it exciting a market. Like I couldn't see myself buying a shirt with the logo. 

Sea Lions - Love the logos. The teal is the strongest color scheme, Sharks be damned. 

Emeralds - Dude. That frog. I would buy every piece of merchandise with the frog. But the only logo in the set I do not like is the primary. It doesn't really read as EC to me. Have you tried an S in a similar design? 

Totems - Really digging it. The S is such a nice logo. I would be very happy with this look. 

Sockeyes - That color scheme is dynamite and I love the Native American influences in the logos. Possibly my favorite. 

Kraken - The primary is awesome. The secondary maybe feels redundant. It's another trident but not as strong of a trident as the primary. It's a banner but the primary just does all the ideas better. It feels uninteresting compared to a strong primary. 

gain, just incredible work overall. 

Thanks for the detailed response, mania. You make a lot of good observations.

-might be hard to reduce the lines in the Mets secondary because it's 2 crossed hockey sticks with the letter "M"

-A steel blue with the black'n brown would look good...I'll try it

-The frog's a lock, but yes, the primary needs a tweaking

-I'm going to re-work the Totems with a more authentic Salish look

-The Sockeyes' colour scheme is one of my faves too...I'm going to try it out on some of the other themes

-Yes...maybe 1 trident too many on the Krakens uni

11 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

1) Seattle Sea Lions - Rendered in the Brown/Tan/Powder Blue/White color scheme, your Seattle Sea Lions primary mark strikes me as being the most dynamic and "major league" of the bunch.

2) Seattle Metropolitans - As I've said elsewhere, your Metropolitans identity says "major league" and "traditional" without coming across as stodgy. I love its iconic simplicity.

3) Seattle Totems - While your Totems marks are strong as is, I think that they could use a bit more work. Right now, I get a slightly runic, ancient Scandinavian vibe from the design. I'd like to see that taken in a direction more clearly influenced by Coast Salish art. To that end, I'd also be interested in seeing the color scheme changed from Deep Green/Neon Green/White to Black/Red Ochre/Deep Teal/White. Short of a redesign of the logos, I feel that if your existing Totems marks were rendered in the Black/RedOchre/Deep Teal/White color scheme, the result would be a "Top 3" identity package for the NHL in Seattle.     

Thank you Brian...I'm going to act on your advice...rework the Totems logos...and here's the Sealions in blue and brown...

GysazsR.jpg

...and with the tan logo...

7yLKGic.jpg

Back to the Sealions...

- I darkened the green-grey and blue-green colours...looks pretty "nautical"...

34NEqI7.jpg

for comparison, here's the dark teal and white...

Trjo4PO.jpg

...Black, brown and white...

3qaIQNo.jpg

Here's the 'Lions in the Sockeye colours...

C7BwFtc.jpg

I figure that Seattle has to have some form of green in their color scheme.  Also I'd like to see the Sea Lion in black (as they appear IRL). Was wondering if you could whip up a green primary/black secondary Sea Lions set with perhaps another offset secondary like cream or light blue?  

Sea Lions logo is the best, and it seems to work in any color scheme.  Would love to get the Brown/Red or Brown/Light Blue into the NHL, but that Burnt Orange/Teal/Black looks nice as well.  Going into it, I thought Double Green was the only way to go, now, not so sure.  Brown would be super unique and with Teal, Peach as the secondary, it wouldn't be so Mystery Alaska drab (like the Pilots one looks).

If only we could get Purple into the NHL color wheel...

22 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Yeah that color scheme always wins for me.

Yeah, it's becoming more popular, K.

22 hours ago, BrianLion said:

I figure that Seattle has to have some form of green in their color scheme.  Also I'd like to see the Sea Lion in black (as they appear IRL). Was wondering if you could whip up a green primary/black secondary Sea Lions set with perhaps another offset secondary like cream or light blue?  

Thanks Brian...do you mean a black uni with cream or light blue numbers/logos/striping?...

16 hours ago, jdavidev said:

Sea Lions logo is the best, and it seems to work in any color scheme.  Would love to get the Brown/Red or Brown/Light Blue into the NHL, but that Burnt Orange/Teal/Black looks nice as well.  Going into it, I thought Double Green was the only way to go, now, not so sure.  Brown would be super unique and with Teal, Peach as the secondary, it wouldn't be so Mystery Alaska drab (like the Pilots one looks). If only we could get Purple into the NHL color wheel...

jdavidev...I loved the MysteryAlaska reference...not sure if purple suits Seattle. I'll try brown with teal...

...Found this old file for a "Kraken Kids" merchandise logo...

IZsU7Qv.jpg

Archived