I feel like the Seattle Pilots 3rd logo (with the pilots head) isn’t getting enough love. I feel that should be their primary logo. I love that colour scheme as it’s unique in the nhl. That being said,

1. Sockeyes (best NHL option)

2. Sea Lions (could be the Oregon Ducks of the NHL, so many Jersey colour schemes work with this)

3. Pilots (pilot head logo is my personal favourite)

4. Sawbucks (though i would change all yellow to a cream or white - i don’t think the ownership group is going for green/yellow)

5. Mets (two-tone Colour schemes rock)

6. Totems (prefer the T over the S logo tho)

7. Kraken

8. Emerald City (tree frog logo ftw)

9. Evergreens 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Pilots and Sockeye uniforms. The Pilots bomber jackets are sick, maybe wool around the collars? But my favorite is the Sockeyes color scheme, which is especially fantastic. I wasn't sold on the fish name but the colors are just so good! I like the antlered sawbucks/stags but neither name sounds all that special to me, I was surprised by some of the names the Seattle group was looking at. I would have thought a Seattle Serpents name would get in there whether from Sea Serpents or like a dragon. The SEATTLE crawl would fit snug on the body, and the Sonics colors of green and yellow would be perfect.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:05 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Thanks Brian...do you mean a black uni with cream or light blue numbers/logos/striping?...

I meant a green primary (say helmets, jersey, socks), black secondary (logo, breezers), and then cream/light blue as an accent that is incorporated into the hem/sleeve striping and number/logo outline perhaps. . 

On 2018-04-07 at 12:08 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:
On 2018-04-07 at 1:59 PM, Zeus89725 said:

Found this on Instagram with no credit.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RLS5L

Not sure if you authorized it or not, Sparky.

Thank you guys...Yes! All the retweets were authorized. Got some great exposure through those retweets and an article in Bardown, thanks to "NHLSeattle" and "SeattleSinBin".

On 2018-04-09 at 9:26 AM, srcoffee said:

I feel like the Seattle Pilots 3rd logo (with the pilots head) isn’t getting enough love. I feel that should be their primary logo. I love that colour scheme as it’s unique in the nhl. That being said,

1. Sockeyes (best NHL option)

2. Sea Lions (could be the Oregon Ducks of the NHL, so many Jersey colour schemes work with this)

3. Pilots (pilot head logo is my personal favourite)

4. Sawbucks (though i would change all yellow to a cream or white - i don’t think the ownership group is going for green/yellow)

5. Mets (two-tone Colour schemes rock)

6. Totems (prefer the T over the S logo tho)

7. Kraken

8. Emerald City (tree frog logo ftw)

9. Evergreens 

Hello srcoffee...good list...I may try to simplify the pilot's head and use it in an "Aviators" concept that I'm working on...

On 2018-04-09 at 10:44 AM, Grappler said:

I love the Pilots and Sockeye uniforms. The Pilots bomber jackets are sick, maybe wool around the collars? But my favorite is the Sockeyes color scheme, which is especially fantastic. I wasn't sold on the fish name but the colors are just so good! I like the antlered sawbucks/stags but neither name sounds all that special to me, I was surprised by some of the names the Seattle group was looking at. I would have thought a Seattle Serpents name would get in there whether from Sea Serpents or like a dragon. The SEATTLE crawl would fit snug on the body, and the Sonics colors of green and yellow would be perfect.

Hi Grappler...The Sockeyes colours are getting a lot of love. I like the sound of "Serpents" but I wonder if there's a slight negative (evil) connotation to it...

On 2018-04-09 at 2:28 PM, BrianLion said:

I meant a green primary (say helmets, jersey, socks), black secondary (logo, breezers), and then cream/light blue as an accent that is incorporated into the hem/sleeve striping and number/logo outline perhaps. . 

OK BrianLion...Green and Black with cream looked great but maybe a little too close to Dallas?

Black'n Cream looks pretty sweet...

OqP5c9n.jpg

tXZ1BGl.jpg

9 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Thank you guys...Yes! All the retweets were authorized. Got some great exposure through those retweets and an article in Bardown, thanks to "NHLSeattle" and "SeattleSinBin".

Hello srcoffee...good list...I may try to simplify the pilot's head and use it in an "Aviators" concept that I'm working on...

Hi Grappler...The Sockeyes colours are getting a lot of love. I like the sound of "Serpents" but I wonder if there's a slight negative (evil) connotation to it...

OK BrianLion...Green and Black with cream looked great but maybe a little too close to Dallas?

OqP5c9n.jpg

tXZ1BGl.jpg

ohhh, I know you don't think purple is a Seattle color, but man, that first one would look fantastic with a deep, rich bluer purple instead of victory green.  The baby blue version from a page back would look good too with the brown replaced with purple, but the yellow white and black of the above one with purple would make it sing!

5 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Thanks for the shout out Sparky :)   Ever since your Kraken concept we've been fans :)

On 4/11/2018 at 10:33 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

OqP5c9n.jpg

tXZ1BGl.jpg

Yeah I'd maybe go green helmet and perhaps work the light blue into the sleeve/hem/pants/socks striping to avoid aping the Stars too much, 

On 2018-04-11 at 12:25 PM, Flames1fan said:

your jersey looks like the canucks jersey. 

Yeah...it's a pretty basic template that I use for experimenting with colour combos...I can tweak it later.

21 hours ago, jdavidev said:

ohhh, I know you don't think purple is a Seattle color, but man, that first one would look fantastic with a deep, rich bluer purple instead of victory green.  The baby blue version from a page back would look good too with the brown replaced with purple, but the yellow white and black of the above one with purple would make it sing!

I'll give the purp a shot, jd...

21 hours ago, Smashmode said:

Thanks for the shout out Sparky :)   Ever since your Kraken concept we've been fans :)

Thank you Smashmode...welcome to the Boards!

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

Yeah I'd maybe go green helmet and perhaps work the light blue into the sleeve/hem/pants/socks striping to avoid aping the Stars too much, 

I'll try that, BL. Thanks...

OK...I'm liking the "plaid-cut" sweater design. I think it's very Seattle-ish. I think Seattle should take ownership of the "plaid thing", in the way that the "RedBlacks" have done in the CFL.

It would be a great tool for marketing purposes, and plaid, just says "hockey", IMO!.. So, I've kicked around a couple of concepts that would suit the plaid look.

The Seattle Beavers

A good name, but maybe not realistic because of the OSU Beavers living almost next door...I gave it a shot anyway, with an old logo of mine...

e6mcdda.jpg

The Seattle Nor'Westers

You can't get much more north and west, than Seattle (Alaska says hi, though)...The name also has a "regional" twang to it. I did up a very "Whaler-ish" logo to go with this concept...

VjIFS8E.jpg

Holy Cow, bow down on the Nor'Westers design!  I love the NW motif, especially on the secondary. It's a great reference to the Seattle Mariners nautical logo. A few suggestions:

• Loving the plaid with ochre highlights, but I think it might work better with greener shades. Maybe forest green and kelly green instead of teal and seafoam. 
  • Maybe smooth the corners on the nW primary logo, but not to Whalers levels.
  • I'm not sure Nor'Wester is an actual thing, unlike Nor'Easter.  But NorWester is better than "Seattle NorthWest" or "Seattle Northwesterners"

But I'm nitpicking. These are awesome!

On 2018-04-12 at 2:44 PM, ScreamingViking said:

-Loving the plaid with ochre highlights, but I think it might work better with greener shades. Maybe forest green and kelly green instead of teal and seafoam. 

-Maybe smooth the corners on the nW primary logo, but not to Whalers levels.

-I'm not sure Nor'Wester is an actual thing, unlike Nor'Easter.  But NorWester is better than "Seattle NorthWest" or "Seattle Northwesterners"

Thanks Viking...Yeah, I don't think that "Nor'Wester" is an actual thing...yet.

Good suggestions, SV...I softened the corners just a tad...kept the light "Pacific Green" but changed the other green shades to Forest and Kelly greens...

sxyC22K.jpg

So..."Nor'Westers" colours could be White/shades of Forest Green/and Pacific Green... to rep the mountains, forests and ocean. Spot red for the compass pointing NW.

The uniform is a "plaid-cut" design as a nod to Seattle's forestry and "grunge" history...

TSlF6cT.jpg

I did look up Nor'wester. It refers to winds in a couple of parts of the world far from Seattle, as well as Canadian trappers who worked for a company that ended up merging with the Hudson Bay Company centuries ago. So, unfortunately, nothing that ties to Seattle, but a genius concept anyway.

rATMcmK.png

On 2018-04-05 at 10:53 AM, mania said:

Pilots - Really nice logo set. I know you were playing around with one color. Maybe a steel blue, evoking the color of an aircraft carrier?

Hi mania...good suggestion...I've added the steel blue to the brown in an "Aviators" concept...

...I re-cycled my Anaheim and Pilots' prop logos...chevron striping...

rzB5yFD.jpg

On 2018-04-14 at 11:51 AM, Whittier S said:

I did look up Nor'wester. It refers to winds in a couple of parts of the world far from Seattle, as well as Canadian trappers who worked for a company that ended up merging with the Hudson Bay Company centuries ago. So, unfortunately, nothing that ties to Seattle, but a genius concept anyway.

Hi Whittier...Yeah, I saw that too, and was a little disappointed...I thought that, for sure, one of the meanings of "Nor'wester" would be, "a resident of the Northwest". How much literary license do we have when it comes to sports-team names...is it ok to just make up a meaning? If "Nor'westers" was accepted as meaning "from the Northwest", then it wouldn't be a bad choice for a name. It's kind of "all-inclusive" as it would refer to anything from the region. It'd be unique, with the apostrophe...maybe have some fun with that...

eB4SZlV.jpg

One of the concerns with the "nW" logo was that it was too similar to the old Whalers' logo....a right-on observation, as I definitely was "inspired" by it...To address that, maybe the "nW" slides to secondary status... and the dreamcatcher-compass elevates to the primary position...

RzJQvry.jpg

Given that the dreamcatcher comes from the Ojibwe, the symbolism doesn't make much sense.

But as to the meaning of team names, always remember that there was once a team called the Xoggz.

rATMcmK.png

On 3/27/2018 at 6:31 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

...Before moving on to the Kraken, I just wanted to submit an update on the Evergreens...

AqznSSk.jpg

I love the change to the secondary logo. I like the uniform look. I just feel like the primary logo needs to blend the tree and E more. 

On 4/19/2018 at 5:17 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Hi mania...good suggestion...I've added the steel blue to the brown in an "Aviators" concept...

rzB5yFD.jpg

On 4/19/2018 at 5:17 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

rzB5yFD.jpg

I loved the work done on the pilots. I would love to see with this steel blue, black, and white

On 3/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Thanks Brian...I saw that colour scheme over in the Sports Logos section. I think that Thaumatrope posted this picture...

gbzNUNw.jpg

You're right, it could look pretty good!...I think I'll give that a try with the next "Sockeyes" concept.

Also, the "anchor" logo does look mis-matched as you mentioned. The trident symbol is strong enough on its own...Good advice.

I've been staying away from the blue and green, only because the Canucks are just up the highway, sporting the same colours....But heck, the Pens and Bruins both rock the same colours, and I think if the blues and greens were 'reversed', there'd be enough of a difference...I gave it a shot...

Yep...here ya go...

fA7gSkT.jpg

OK...I"ve got 6 primary logos finalized so far (the Sea Lions may end up being a different colour...I'll come back to them later).

Before I move on to the 'Sockeyes', here's what I have so far...

1cVq8uX.jpg

The sea lion logo is a great logo. What makes it great is that it has looked awesome no matter what color scheme that you have put it in. Hands down that’s what makes it the winner.

Archived