Incredible work dude. Every logo is thoughtfully designed and perfectly executed. The Metros, Nor'westers and Sea Lions are especially brilliant. That Nor'westers "W" logo is an ingenious use of negative space, and the Sea Lions logo is absolutely gorgeous.

That being said, I have a couple of nitpicks. The new Totems logo is tremendous, but it doesn't fit the design style of the other two. Personally, If I had unlimited time to tinker around with designs, I would leave the primary as is and adjust the other two accordingly. All of the logos in that set work great on their own, but I think if they were a little more cohesive it would really elevate the concept.

I really like the Steelheads logo and uniform set, but I'm not a fan of that shade of tan. I think the rust color of the Totems and Sockeyes would look infinitely better in its place. I get that three concepts (and two of them fish-related) with the same color scheme would be a little repetitive, but if you were presenting the Steelheads identity on its own, I would definitely ditch the tan.

Also, some of the logos look off in your presentation. The Totems primary is missing colors on the right wing, and I would probably go with the white teeth version of the Sockeye primary since the background is dark.

Keep up the good work! I enjoyed the heck out of this series!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys...I'm back from the land of the Leprechauns! (Ireland's Fantastic!!)

Anyway...back to work!...I'm pretty happy with most of the identities in this series so far, but there's a couple of concepts that I still want to fine-tune and play around with...

"Steampunk" Kraken

I went "Art-Deco" with the Mets, so I thought that I'd try a bit of a "Steampunk" style with the Kraken...Nothing too extreme, after all, this is a hockey team: not an art museum...

but the style would suit the Kraken... Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", has had an influence on the S.P. community, and I'd guess that if the 'Punkers had a mascot it would be a tentacled creature such as a squid, octopus or the Kraken...

hTKSsWq.jpg

So, I took a stab at punkin'-up the Kraken a tad, mainly through a change in colours. 

For reference I turned to the colours found in oxidized copper...

w1H6kwG.jpg

and applied the copper, gold, aqua and black to some existing logos...and did up a few new offerings also...

6ghyMXB.jpg

...a couple for the kids...

c2Qea0W.jpg

I went with a mainly copper home uni. It's a pretty unique palette. (The aways need a little more "punch" IMO)...

k7HUHiE.jpg

...a few T's with the metallic logos...

sxKhZq2.jpg

I like the Eye Trident (Treyedent?) logo. The gear tentacle is clever, too.

The colors are kinda interesting, and work together better than the forest green & black. I think your away is fine, but black is maybe overly emphasized on it; perhaps that's what's bothering you?

Your mockup of the fan is fun! The Stupid Krakenhead would be pretty popular, I think!

Good update here.

(Still a dumb name though)

On 9/27/2018 at 9:53 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

I kind of really want that "Stupid Krakenhead hat".

Me too Dan...If I could find a way to manufacture it, I could sell a whack of them...

On 9/27/2018 at 12:20 PM, n312rb said:

And with that update, the Kraken pull ahead of the pack for me.  All of them are excellent, the Kraken is just a littttttle more exceptional.

Thanks n.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:16 AM, vtgco said:

I like the Eye Trident (Treyedent?) logo. The gear tentacle is clever, too.

The colors are kinda interesting, and work together better than the forest green & black. I think your away is fine, but black is maybe overly emphasized on it; perhaps that's what's bothering you?

Your mockup of the fan is fun! The Stupid Krakenhead would be pretty popular, I think!

Good update here.

(Still a dumb name though)

Thank you v...I like the black with the home unis...and we're not to the stage where teams are changing pant colours with their home and aways (it's starting to happen with the gloves (Golden Knights))... a way to de-emphasize the black is to bump up another colour, so...I darkened the Aqua and increased the amount of it on the aways.

"Kraken" is a pretty polarizing name, but I don't think that it's any more "dumb" than some of the other team names, and from a marketing point of view, there is sooo much you could do with it.

CkjiB1y.jpg

12 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

The aways need a lot more copper, maybe clone the sleeves from the home jersey?

I'll play around with that suggestion id...Thank you.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:06 PM, nate.sweitz said:

The new Totems logo doesn't fit the design style of the other two. Personally, If I had unlimited time to tinker around with designs, I would leave the primary as is and adjust the other two accordingly. All of the logos in that set work great on their own, but I think if they were a little more cohesive it would really elevate the concept.

Good CC, nate. You're right...The logo styles just don't mesh...

OuEMf1U.jpg

I like the new primary also, so I'll keep the old secondaries as T-shirt logos and I've developed a new "shoulder patch logo to match the new primary...

gOCBBP2.jpg

eCM4Ua6.jpg

Just fantastic. Steampunk Kraken are almost too much fun and I'm very much digging that new shoulder patch for the totems. I also think having people walk around Seattle like that is now necessary for the city's pr. I'm running out of adjectives to describe this series so I'm gonna go with tremendous stupendous. Keep on blessing the boards, Sparky.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

23 hours ago, Bruins said:

Just fantastic. Steampunk Kraken are almost too much fun and I'm very much digging that new shoulder patch for the totems. I also think having people walk around Seattle like that is now necessary for the city's pr. I'm running out of adjectives to describe this series so I'm gonna go with tremendous stupendous. Keep on blessing the boards, Sparky.

Thank you Bruins...much appreciated...

On 9/29/2018 at 11:21 AM, ldconcepts said:

The aways need a lot more copper, maybe clone the sleeves from the home jersey?

Yep... That works id...Thank you...

q2EAbVs.jpg

NEW FISH YES

I like the new Totems patch, but I think more interesting than a T would be to make the whole thing into the Space Needle (black + brown section as the saucer, white as the tower)

I'm not sure, but either the original or the cloned sleeves for the Kraken work the best.

Good work, per usual!

On 10/1/2018 at 10:45 PM, ffcbluecrew said:

Sorry I'm late to the party, but how about "Seattle Squadron" for the team with the aviation theme?
You can also imagine the merch: "#SquadGoals" :P

Welcome bluecrew..."Squadron" would be a great name...use the vintage Air Force theme...The winged "S" logo would fit that name also...

On 10/2/2018 at 10:44 AM, vtgco said:

NEW FISH YES

I like the new Totems patch, but I think more interesting than a T would be to make the whole thing into the Space Needle (black + brown section as the saucer, white as the tower)

I'm not sure, but either the original or the cloned sleeves for the Kraken work the best.

Good work, per usual!

Thank you v...yes, those 2 versions of the Kraken aways work the best..I wonder if the best looking aways are the ones with the largest colour "blocks"?...i.e....Red Wings aways...Islanders aways...Pens aways...etc.

Another Steelheads Concept...

I wanted to do another concept "influenced" by the city flag...

c3hrTXt.jpg

So, a uni with a predominantly teal/aqua colour, with a 2-piece "S" logo. I added silver and darkened the green-blue a fair bit for contrast..

6ljs1pK.jpg

DBlUNPm.jpg

On 10/1/2018 at 8:47 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Here they are...the "Dirty Dozen"...

EMyB9Yl.jpg

Sparky...bruh...I don't even know where to start.

I done read through this whole thing, probably more than once. No matter what comes of this, bro, you've just created an all-Seattle portfolio for yourself. And to be real, having seen all this, and the progressions you've gone through, the original ideas you've come up with...this is the kind of stuff, and this project in particular, that inspires near-graybeard me to go dust off my sketchpad, pick up my mechanical pencils and eraser, and get back at it again. Man I got stuff sitting up from years and years ago collecting dust (actually, pretty much since about the beginning of 2014 I've quietly been working on a full- league concept project in my spare time, which to this day is still in the works although it's been a good minute since I messed with it, for various reasons)...suffice it to say this work has kinda jarred my motivation to get to re-working and cooking on what I've been sitting on. These days it's tough to get up for it, but your work here done did that. Just wanted you to know that.

Of these, that Metros one is definitely the strongest. That said, I love that Sea Lions logo/concept set, but when I saw that re-version Totems logo, my jaw straight dropped. You straight outdid yourself on that one. That's got to be my favorite just based on uniqueness and creativity. That was the one that, if all your other concepts were the fuel and tinder for the fire that hadn't been lit yet, that Totems one was the kindling that started the fire. Straight up. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 10/4/2018 at 4:59 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

@sparky chewbarky, you keep pumping out all these amazing concepts, it makes it really hard to be upset there's not a Battle of Seattle Hockey Cods.

Dan...I almost forgot about "codding" these concepts. Haven't been able to flesh each of these out as much as I'd like because there's 12 of them (and counting). If I get some time I'll try and cod a few...Thanks Dan.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:49 PM, B-mer said:

Liking the darker teal. Reminds me of how the Philadelphia Eagles green can look in some light which I always thought would be a great color for a hockey team. 

Hi B-mer...yeah, a dark teal or aqua could work. Boy it's becoming harder to find a unique colour scheme.

15 hours ago, Buc said:

Sparky...bruh...I don't even know where to start...

Wow, Buc...I don't even know where to start.

First of all, thank you for stopping by, and thanks for the thumbs up...and if the work in this thread has inspired you in some way to get back into the concepts, I gotta say that I'm very flattered. It would be great to have your work back on the the boards. I'd guess that most of the current Concepts' participants and lurkers have maybe not seen your work. I had the pleasure of perusing a lot Buc's stuff back when B received a well deserved place in the Boards Hall of Fame.

His stuff is top shelf, and delivered with a Buc-onian flair..."You jackals"! 

Are you still pounding down the pavement?...I'm still climbing poles...When my day job's done, and my family stuff is done, and I've done a few things on the honey-do list, I unwind a bit by working on concepts...It's a good hobby...keeps the brain in gear...keeps the creative juices flowing...it's kinda therapeutic. 

Anyway, Buc...thanks again, and 'twould be nice to see your stuff back in the concepts.

1 hour ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Wow, Buc...I don't even know where to start.

First of all, thank you for stopping by, and thanks for the thumbs up...and if the work in this thread has inspired you in some way to get back into the concepts, I gotta say that I'm very flattered. It would be great to have your work back on the the boards. I'd guess that most of the current Concepts' participants and lurkers have maybe not seen your work. I had the pleasure of perusing a lot Buc's stuff back when B received a well deserved place in the Boards Hall of Fame. His stuff is top shelf!..."You jackals"! 

Are you still pounding down the pavement?...I'm still climbing poles...When my day job's done, and my family stuff is done, and I've done a few things on the honey-do list, I unwind a bit by working on concepts...It's a good hobby...keeps the brain in gear...keeps the creative juices flowing...it's kinda therapeutic for me. 

Anyway, Buc...thanks again, and 'twould be nice to see your stuff back on board.

Thanks for the kind words, my man!

To answer some of your questions, yeah I'm still burning pavement out here, although I'm currently engaged in learning the business side of things now in hopes of transferring over to that side. And since the last time I posted a concept in here (and I did have to look it up--it was this one, well over time years ago), let's see...I done separated from the military, been through court, relocated again, came off over-the-road and found a local/regional job (yes!), gotten saved and born again, got married (finally!), changed employers again to a great local outfit with a growing national footprint, tried my hand at a business venture that didn't work out as planned, returned to said great local outfit where I am present, had a newborn--so yeah, things have been happening! Still, that, the graphic artist in me lives on; I just haven't done much with it on the sports design side of things--at least not in public view. (I have, however, recently found my way back into desktop publishing, prepress, copywriting and publication design--which is where I got my start in this design game out of college--by way of a new bimonthly ministry publication for which I serve as creative editior.) 

All that long while, I've had a personal sports league concept project I've been chipping away at since the last concept I posted in here, and if I finish it, it will be my single most comprehensive project to date. I know I'll probably be well behind the curve in some of the things presented in there, but suffice it to say it's a product of my perspective as seen from my workspace--the open roads of America!

Back to you, though, Sparky...these days it's tough to find inspiration to pick that project back up...but your Seattle project done did that for me, bro. Keep at it! (And maybe in the not-too-terribly-distant future you all may be seeing a lil' sumthin-sumthin' from me in these parts!)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived