On 2018-02-18 at 4:39 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Mets is absolutely stunning, best out of the all in my opinion, from merch to unis, it all works very well

On 2018-02-19 at 5:39 PM, Frenchie said:

This battle was over before it started, if the Mets don't join the NHL with this identical identity, I may have to boycott my favourite sport forever.

On 2018-02-19 at 5:55 PM, Zeus89725 said:

The Mets are gorgeous, and are my favorite of the four.

On 2018-02-19 at 7:33 PM, SplashBoogie said:

I'm sticking with the Metropolitans as my favorite but the Pilots definitely give them a run for their money. Maybe I just like art deco?

On 2018-02-19 at 10:44 PM, The Impaler said:

I love all the identities but the Mets one stands out to me. 

..Sorry to take so long in getting back to everyone...Looks like the Mets have an early lead. Thanks all for the feedback!

On 2018-02-20 at 8:45 AM, Midwest_surfer said:

So far the Mets and the Bucks are my favorite but I have a suspicion that the Kraken will remain my favorite concept of yours

...Yes...the Kraken will Awaken...later...

On 2018-02-20 at 4:43 PM, TaylorMade said:

As much as I dislike the Metropolitans name, this concept would be branding I could get behind.

I'm curious about the cow...

Hi Taylor...I was going to do up a "Seattle Battle Cattle" concept, just for fun (not a serious contender)...we'll see how my time goes...

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018-02-20 at 2:06 PM, Brian in Boston said:

At this juncture, I'm of the opinion that the identity packages for the Metropolitans and Pilots are superior to those of the Sawbucks and Evergreens... and by a pretty substantial margin.

Of the four, Metropolitans gets my nod. I love its iconic simplicity. It has a look that says "major league" and "traditional", without coming across as stodgy.

The Pilots identity is also terrific, though the secondary marks - particularly, the pilot - strike me as being a bit too detailed. I may just be judging the secondaries as such in comparison to the elegantly spare styling of the Metropolitan package.

As for the Sawbucks and Evergreens, I'm just not feeling it for either one of them. 

While the Sawbucks logos are all tremendously well-rendered, there's just too much going on with regard to the wordplay and the logos accompanying the various meanings of the terms: "sawbuck" meaning a type of sawhorse... a "buck" being a male deer... "Sawbucks" being a play on Seattle-based company "Starbucks". While undoubtedly creative, it all strikes me as being a bit too clever for its own good.

In the case of the Evergreens, the design of the primary mark and "twig-with-a-twig" secondary just don't measure up to the level of the work you've generated elsewhere throughout these first four team identity packages. The primary mark just seems a bit pedestrian when measured by the standard we've come to expect from you, while the secondary in question strikes me as being a concept that likely works better in theory than in execution. Meanwhile, the squirrel logo is terrific work, but strikes me as being too "minor league" in feel to serve as anything beyond a secondary for an NHL franchise.

As always, a joy to follow your concept series, Sparky. I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses as you introduce the remaining identity packages.

Great feedback, Brian...thank you and I think that you nailed it...although, "Sawbucks" or "Stags" seems to be fairly popular, and,with the logging reference, the deer thing, the plaid thing, you could do a lot with that identity in terms of marketing. I actually have grown to like the "Evergreens" name, although I am struggling to come up with a strong visual identity... I'll keep working on it.

On 2018-02-18 at 1:57 PM, dakotapalm said:

This is a gorgeous series. I'm partial to the Sawbucks logo, but I do think the sound of the name is a little too minor-league. "Golden Knights!). 

On 2018-02-18 at 2:00 PM, ldconcepts said:

I like the Bucks’ logo the most, though I prefer the Pilots’ identity as a whole.

On 2018-02-19 at 10:51 PM, Bruins said:

I'm still in love w the Sawbucks. It's just too good.

Thanks guys...The identity is being better received than the name.

On 2018-02-20 at 9:41 AM, Whittier S said:

Pilots are my fave so far, in part because we need a brown team.

On 2018-02-26 at 9:26 AM, hecticbro said:

I love everything about the Pilots... Except the brown. I just think it's a yucky color. If you replaced it with green I think I'd like it would be the clear winner thus far.

I think that brown could work...It can suit an aviation theme (brown aviation jacket). I think it could work in the way that the grey Las Vegas sweaters have worked...the brown being a "back-drop" colour to the more striking black and white. I 'll try mixing and matching some of the colours later.

On 2018-02-21 at 1:14 PM, CodeG said:

I was thinking the same thing with the Evergreens and Sawbucks, though the Sawbucks identity is my favorite out of the current designs shown, I couldn't take a team called that seriously. 

I think that sometimes a name "sounds"minor-league-ish because it's not currently a major team name. When you think of it, "Sawbucks" isn't more minor-league than a lot of names. It is a name related to the logging industry...it can give you the antlered deer visual...and it does have that nudge-nudge reference kinda to Seattle's most well-known export (Starbucks) (not sure if that's a good thing or not though. However, as some have suggested, perhaps the theme could be maintained with a different name (Stags)...

3scKT7x.jpg

On 2018-02-17 at 1:04 AM, Midwest_surfer said:

I like the squirrel better than the branch guy. Looks really retro cool. Like early 70s Hannah-Barbara. I know it’s mixing eras, but you could do a faux back in the style of those old Arthur Evans collegiate mascot logos from back in the day.

I checked out the Arthur Evans story...interesting guy...worked for Disney before setting out selling mascot designs to colleges...

tiFsMiO.jpg

Actually, ren69 has a great thread on reworking some of Evans' classic designs.

Because of the popularity of retro illustrations and design, and because of the number of Evans' designs out there, someone wrote that Evans may the most well-known, unknown illustrator. Anyway, before moving on I gave the Evergreens another shot...

GzLJyj7.jpg

I simplified the uniforms and picked up the silver "E" from the logo into the striping...(still a work in progress)...

Z9DmnVd.jpg

The Seattle Totems

This name is very popular and has some history behind it with the old "Totems' hockey team...

hbrn3MW.jpg

I could stay traditional with this concept, and stick with green...but we have 4 green uniforms already (and there'll be more).

So, I thought that I'd shake things up a bit... and go with black. I know...another black-coloured uni, but actually, if you exclude all the BFBS alts, there are only 4 teams rocking the black...Pens, Ducks, Kings and Bruins. A greater number of  teams don the red, and WAY more teams wear a shade of blue. I like the look of the MLA's NY Lizards...

hY7nw7X.jpg

and so I went "non-traditional" with a traditional name...

703n13Q.jpg

(that 3rd logo is more of a design element than a logo)... I've tried to stay away from a north-west first-nations style for most of the designs, but "Totems" kinda demands that treatment.

VVNXQJ9.jpg

Really, really sharp, I love it. A few suggestions, however: How would an extremely dark green look? To the point where it almost looks black, but at a closer look is actually green. Would be a minor quirk that would please both black and green preferences. Speaking of quirks, I personally think a switch of chest emblem/shoulder patch would be a vast improvement, putting two already fantastic logos in a more proper function imo. Also I love the pant accent logo, I'd make a vertical stripe out of those. These are just nitpicks though, the whole identity is another slam dunk. Great job!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

On 2018-02-27 at 4:16 PM, Corvus said:

I like the Stags name much better. Sawbucks is clever but seems a little too kitschy.

A lot of folks agree with you Corvus...

On 2018-02-20 at 2:06 PM, Brian in Boston said:

As for the Sawbucks and Evergreens, I'm just not feeling it for either one of them. 

Yep, agreed...I'm OK with the "Sawbucks" identity, but I've been struggling with the "Evergreens".

"Evergreens" should be crisp and clean, and my stuff was looking a little muddy. I was noticing the same thing that I experienced with the "Pilots", in that the 1-colour version of the logo looked way better than the multi-coloured option. So, I cleaned up the "E" logo. I also relegated the "SQUIRREL!" logo to t-shirt/mascot status. It just didn't match the E style.( I'll still use it for merch & marketing)....A lot of people don't like arm stripes that don't go all the way around, but in this case, it makes sense. The arm and pant stripes form a letter "E" to match the logo. The silver and white are pretty close value-wise, so the uniform has a 1-colour feel to it...

0YJQE0B.jpg

On 2018-02-27 at 4:48 PM, ldconcepts said:

Love the Totems logos, but I would base the jerseys off the road one you made. The current home one is a little too Islanders-like for me.

Thanks id...I made the change...

On 2018-02-27 at 4:44 PM, Bruins said:

Really, really sharp, I love it. A few suggestions, however: How would an extremely dark green look? To the point where it almost looks black...I personally think a switch of chest emblem/shoulder patch would be a vast improvement...

Thank you for the input Bruins...I tried the real-dark green and it looks pretty good! It's not as stark as the black...Good eye!

I tried swapping out the logos and it doesn't look bad, although I think that the Totem "T" fills the chest space a little more interestingly than the Totem "S"...

...A little quiz...what position does "S-Totem" play?...

NJoTPJv.jpg

I think that double-green is my new favourite look. It's a great colour scheme, and represents Seattle perfectly. That's a real unique take on the socks as well, but I think it pays off, since Boston's gone with black socks. The one thing that I would change is making the outline go all around the logo. The bottom is blending in with the jersey right now.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

I'm not sold on the Totems name - even with the history of it - because it seems to stoic, too stationary.  That being stated, I love both logos, the double green, and the square motif on the unis.

Have you considered changing the bird's feet on the totem and turning them into two hockey sticks? That's what they look like from afar.

Love the update to the dark green. And I just noticed the hockey stick in the S logo. Nicely done. The only part that I don't like is the socks on the home (dark) set. Would look better if you matched it to the white set's socks and just changed the upper part to the dark green. 

If you were to go with alternating the logos between the home and road, I'd reverse it. The S logo has more light green in it and would stand out more on the dark jersey. And the other logo will contrast more on the white. 

Also, I'd love to see these with two other color combos. Keeping the dark green, but one with the light green as sport gold/yellow, and then another with it as a light blue - like Tennessee Titans or Carolina Panthers light blue. 

On 3/1/2018 at 7:25 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

what position does "S-Totem" play?

The S is a good old goalie ;) Nice idea there!

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Guest darkpiranha

I wasn't sold on the Evergreens and was about to suggest a one-color thing when you went and did it on your own.  Now it looks fantastic.  Going back a few posts, as convoluted as the meaning(s) behind Sawbucks is, I love the name purely on its own.  It flows and is fun to say.  The logos are great.  Add the plaid to it, and you have a super-strong visual identity.  I do agree that it skates right on  the edge of minor league, but when it's as strong and grown-up as this overall package is, I don't think it matters.

On 2018-03-03 at 10:33 AM, Captain Tsubasa said:

Would love to see the secondary version of this design.

I'll have that up soon, Captain.

On 2018-03-04 at 3:14 AM, darkpiranha said:

I wasn't sold on the Evergreens and was about to suggest a one-color thing when you went and did it on your own.  Now it looks fantastic.  Going back a few posts, as convoluted as the meaning(s) behind Sawbucks is, I love the name purely on its own.  It flows and is fun to say.  The logos are great.  Add the plaid to it, and you have a super-strong visual identity.  I do agree that it skates right on  the edge of minor league, but when it's as strong and grown-up as this overall package is, I don't think it matters.

Thanks darkp..."Evergreens" looked a lot better simplified. I threw in "Stags" as an option, and it is a viable one. I'm still liking the "Sawbucks" monicker better though, exactly for the reasons you stated. Sometimes I think a name "sounds minor league" because it isn't a major-league name yet. If "Sawbucks" was to make it to the bigs, it would do just fine. Also, it'll often get shortened to "Bucks" (Go Bucks Go) which is ok. The "Starbucks" reference was solely an afterthought and wasn't part of the planning. Like I mentioned before, that could be a good thing...or not.:huh: 

Archived