On 2018-03-08 at 8:39 PM, jdavidev said:

Listen, I think the design and scheme are great, but when the NHL had third jersey's, the Sharks wear black a ton, even made black their primary in the playoffs for several years.  Would like to see the chest stripe design with the brown and blue too.

17 hours ago, hecticbro said:

That black and teal Sea Lions set is AWESOME!... They'd be a great AHL affiliate for San Jose.

11 hours ago, B-mer said:

Man, the black and teal set is freakin gorgeous. 

Thanks guys...The only problem with a black/teal-ish/ silver combo IS the similarity to the Sharks. They kinda own that...maybe if I made the blue darker?

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018-03-08 at 5:41 PM, VikingsAiden said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the brown and blue Sea Lions, although I would like to see light blue breezers on the home. Keep it up, looking forward to the rest!

On 2018-03-08 at 6:33 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Light blue jersey brown stripes?

I'm gonna stay with the mainly brown unis for now, but a light blue alt set with the light blue sweater and pants would look fantastic.

On 2018-03-08 at 11:08 PM, MSO94 said:

I freaking love that template. Sure wish it was a public one. That thing ROCKS

MSO...I made that template about 6 years ago, and man, has it served me well. A few times I've thought about putting it out there, but it's kinda become my signature, and, it's a little touchy...I've got to baby it a lot every time I use it....kinda like an old car.

On 2018-03-09 at 9:02 AM, Zeus89725 said:

This. This is perfection. The logo is gorgeous, and has a perfect balance of complex and simple, the colors pop, and it’s awesome to see a two-color design that manages to stay 100% distinctive and original. This is the best variation by far.

EDIT: The trident on the pants makes it 5 times better. I’m in love.

Thanks Zeus...the trident is such a cool shape...If the Seattle NHL team goes with some kind of nautical name they should incorporate it somehow...as long as there's no confusion with the Mariners.

19 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

I'm torn between the mono teal version (like in the post right above this one, or the black and teal one from a little farther up. One thing I liked in one of your earlier iterations was the grey-green you added.  What if there was a little of that on the mono-teal version?

I liked that grey-green colour too. It's a little harder to work in an extra colour on this logo without the shield part, and I think it's a cleaner logo without the shield. I'm working on putting that colour into the upcoming "Sockeyes" concept.

2 hours ago, woody86 said:

Sparky, great work as always. I'm enjoying the evolution of your concepts.  I'm looking forward to what's to come as well. Have you thought about doing something related to moose? I know Manitoba has the moose, but I still think it'd be a viable NHL brand. Plus they could pull a youppi! with mariner moose...

I put a deer (buck) into the "Sawbucks" theme. A moose would be cool, but I don't know how I'd work one in right now...Maybe as a mascot?

OK...so I had one more colour scheme to work into a uniform...the red/green/white combo of the old Metropolitans. I darkened up the green, went with a brackish red and a vintage white.

I used a mostly red uni, to distance it from the current Wild uniforms, however, it still may be a little too similar to the Wild look...

zWQ98LK.jpg

The first color combo is really nice but too close to the Sharks. The second gets a little bit lost with the green interior. The third one is a thing of beauty and is also a very peculiar color scheme!

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

On 3/8/2018 at 5:23 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Thanks for the response, everyone...working on uniforms for the following colour combos...

pSzOi3l.jpg

tETwf9b.jpg

b19ynfU.jpg

I'm referring to this, of course...

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Sparky, 

These are awesome! 

I remember seeing this one.

I'd  like to see the Space needle on the chest in place of the Trident! (Still wrap in the Kraken)

Just to get a different perspective. 

So envious of this talent. 

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I gave that a shot, darkp...

cYeLm5H.jpg

The white jersey is an homerun! The blue one has IMO a contrast problem on the logo as light gray and the white outline don't contrast enough. I see that you tried to keep the seal gray, which of couse makes a lot of sense...but the darker outline makes the logo pop up a lot more. Maybe you could try using the same logo as on the white jersey but with a white overall outline like on previous logos.

11 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

cYeLm5H.jpg

This color set looks awesome. Only gripe is the logo color on the dark jersey...I think keeping the same colors as the white jersey and including a keystroke or utilizing the white shield shape would help.

That last one is pretty unique and good. A thought I had for another scheme is navy, silver, bright green like the Seahawks, but the green would be used as accent. So like the logo would be a silver seal with navy shadow, and then green sparingly to accent it. Could be cool on the black/teal setup. 

Guest darkpiranha

Love the latest combo and agree that the dark jersey needs a dark outline logo with another white outline.  For me, this is the optimal combo because seals are grey and water is blue and this combo just feels the most wet and sleek.  Plus, the lack of black and orange really distances it from the Sharks.  The lack of true green keeps it distanced from the Whalers.  

On 3/10/2018 at 8:29 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

cYeLm5H.jpg

Wow, this totally works for me. I agree that the grey-green should be darkened a few shades for contrast sake. Think of maybe a slate/limestone kind of shade. But otherwise, this IS the SSL!

sparky, how are you not contracted by the NHL in a Brandiose-like fashion? I have no doubts that you could do a complete overhaul of the leagues 31 other teams and improve 28/29 of them. Just don't put the Flames back in the 80's please.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:29 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

cYeLm5H.jpg

There's your winner.

I personally prefer it without the greensilver, and I think that the logo works best when there's a dark color as the outline of the sea lion+trident, and then a light color in the middle, so I would flip the colors on the teal jersey. I think that the set looks cleanest when it's only teal and white, but this set looks more cohesive and it feels like a more separate brand from the rest of the league.

tinysig.jpg

I love the idea of a Seattle-based NHL franchise adopting the Totems moniker, but I'd prefer that the team's color scheme reflect that of Coast Salish art. While the Coast Salish were known to embrace a wider array of colors in their art than the Haida did (yellows and greens make appearances in Coast Salish art), I'd still love to see your concept embrace a Black, Red Ochre, Deep Teal, and White palette.  

Out of the color schemes you've presented, the Dark Brown, Light Brown, Powder Blue and White combination strikes me as best suiting the Seattle Sea Lions identity. That said, I'm not sold on the uniform designs you've applied it to. I'm also not a fan of the "anchor-and-rope" secondary logo for the Sea Lions. It just doesn't seem to complement the primary mark to the extent that it should.

As always, top notch work, Sparky.     

On 3/10/2018 at 9:35 AM, Flames1fan said:

see most use blue and green, dont know what other city match with colors like this

One of my earliest memories: as a very small kid in 88/89, I thought the Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates were one team playing three different sports because they matched.

I have loved the depth of this thread, but the color schemes feel overthought to me... once in a while, a team stumbles onto a colorway that “feels” like their region (i.e. the Marino-era Fins)... when I think of Seattle, blue and green “feel” like that region - a little murky and cloudy, yet hip and progressive. Seattle sports fans own those colors. It might seem like low-hanging fruit, but its too strong a colorway to ditch just for the novelty.

I really like everything about this current set, the only thing that sticks out to me as looking off is the logo on the dark jersey. I think that the logo needs to have a dark color for the base with lighter highlights like the one on the white jersey for it to look right. Maybe adding an outline to the logo and keeping it otherwise the same as the away jersey would benefit it greatly. 

On 2018-03-11 at 7:01 AM, Pulv! said:

The white jersey is an homerun! The blue one has IMO a contrast problem on the logo as light gray and the white outline don't contrast enough. 

On 2018-03-11 at 11:09 AM, Shumway said:

This color set looks awesome. Only gripe is the logo color on the dark jersey...

On 2018-03-12 at 11:52 AM, darkpiranha said:

Love the latest combo and agree that the dark jersey needs a dark outline logo with another white outline.  For me, this is the optimal combo because seals are grey and water is blue and this combo just feels the most wet and sleek.

On 2018-03-12 at 1:46 PM, ScreamingViking said:

Wow, this totally works for me. I agree that the grey-green should be darkened a few shades for contrast sake. Think of maybe a slate/limestone kind of shade. But otherwise, this IS the SSL!

On 2018-03-12 at 10:30 PM, Jake3.roo said:

There's your winner.

I personally prefer it without the greensilver, and I think that the logo works best when there's a dark color as the outline of the sea lion+trident, and then a light color in the middle, so I would flip the colors on the teal jersey. I think that the set looks cleanest when it's only teal and white, but this set looks more cohesive and it feels like a more separate brand from the rest of the league.

7 hours ago, Section30 said:

I really like everything about this current set, the only thing that sticks out to me as looking off is the logo on the dark jersey.

Thanks to all for the feedback...I'm trying to make this work without adding another key line or shield...keep it as simple as possible, so I've darkened the grey-green again...getting there, I think...

Pd9PqeF.jpg

Archived