Denver Broncos Logo Refresh *2/8 = Overhauled (Less Realism, more Design)

hettinger_rl

2 hours ago, TShaw528 said:

I think the neck/face, especially around the cheek, make the horse look kinda fat. Other than that I like it a lot

Thank you @TShaw528 for bringing this up. I feel like many viewers would feel this way and I can understand that from the point of view of someone who may not have much experience around actual broncs. But in reality, an intact bronc/mustang/wild horse (and even domestic) would be very muscular and "bulky." Their jaws and neck beef up and create "jowls" and they use their bulk to protect their harem of mares or to eject a cowboy from their back..

wild-horse-rearing.jpg?preset=mediumfa741d9473e8204cba924d9a84bf23e6.jpg

12862537_G.jpgSB(2)).jpgtony-stromberg-fierce-grace_u-L-F8VP3M0.

den_bronco_a.png den_bronco_b.png

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

5 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I think you're going to find that you get critiques about jowels and stance if you continue to work solely from source photos and what actual broncs may or may not look like. Part of designing a logo is taking artistic liberties to make it look good. 

Yeah, I agree.

It may look more photo realistic, but that doesn't make it the best logo wise, IMO. 

15 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I think you're going to find that you get critiques about jowels and stance if you continue to work solely from source photos and what actual broncs may or may not look like. Part of designing a logo is taking artistic liberties to make it look good. 

10 hours ago, TShaw528 said:

Yeah, I agree.

It may look more photo realistic, but that doesn't make it the best logo wise, IMO. 

This is going to have to be an "agree to disagree" moment. IMO not using reference images is how you get horses like these:

2506278_mktg_logo.pngUT_Arlington.jpegNBA_Dallas_Mavericks_200x200_trans.pngbroncos1.gif2592380_mktg_logo.png

But you can reference the anatomy to create a good logo that actually resembles the species of animal you're referencing (and doesn't get nicknamed something else- slug, dragon, etc.):

PrmLogo_on_wht_RGB.png2609184_mktg_logo.pngBroncoForce_color-crop_2.jpg?itok=wa6tD_e7513493-3d58-4738-8af6-32ad02221bfc-1482681612_mktg_logo.png

I think that sometimes we over-stylize things when what we really need to do is find better compositions and angles. That's not to say that I'm not guilty of this as well.

1 hour ago, hettinger_rl said:

Just in case they'd ever consider having the horse face forward on both sides of the helmet:

zojaz5.jpg2crsork.jpg

2mcviah.jpg2unukup.jpg

That left facing horse is getting a little Ravensy for me. 

My suggestions would be to lose the points on the inside of the D. I don't think they're helping anything. I'd also try simplifying the mane. I think the same message (that you're looking at hair) could be communicated with 2 or 3 fewer points. I'd also try to see what it looks like without those bangs on the top of the head.

PvO6ZWJ.png

33 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

My suggestions would be to lose the points on the inside of the D. I don't think they're helping anything. I'd also try simplifying the mane. I think the same message (that you're looking at hair) could be communicated with 2 or 3 fewer points. I'd also try to see what it looks like without those bangs on the top of the head.

More like this?:

2cqek1u.jpg

On 2/2/2018 at 4:53 PM, hettinger_rl said:

This was an observation I was concerned about. It's not that the horse is "small" compared to the D or "Large" compared to other body parts, so much as that part of it's body is blocked by the left side of the D. The old logo looked terribly mal-nurished because they just tried to keep the horse's back away from the left side rather than deal with this kind of issue. Horses rarely get so vertical as the old logo suggests. My horse is in a more natural pose. So without the visual information of the horse's back your eye may see the vertical part of the D and interpret it as the horse's back.

latest?cb=2011020502064029oshn6.jpg

wild-horses-01-615.jpg

while you may be right about the D overlapping, it still looks awkward and there has to be a better way to arrange those two elements. Also, due to this strange juxtaposition, you r horse appears even more "malnourished" than the original. I would find a better way to have the D and the horse interact. A bigger hole in the D?

tinysig.jpg

22 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Yeah. I'm just a guy, but I think that's an improvement. Sleeker, less to take in. 

22 hours ago, McCarthy said:

On 2/6/2018 at 11:06 PM, TShaw528 said:

Yeah, I agree.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:14 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

I think it looks much cleaner, just needs slightly thicker lines on the bronco.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:47 PM, mcrosby said:

Spent time last night going back and overhauling my design only to come on and see @mcrosby's new design and the shared similarities the concepts have. Oh well, here is my new take:

#1- No Eye

2cated.jpg2dvpq1x.jpg

#2- With and Eye

2vkzrm1.jpgiztk5j.jpg

16 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I really like it man! I think the no eye version looks better.

13 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

this is a helluva lot better. I love it.

Thanks! I think the eye gives some attitude and is a nice detail.... but it wouldn't be there in smaller productions. Although the current logo has it's eye all the time. 

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived