2018 NASCAR Paint Schemes

LAWeaver

With the Clash at Daytona in 8 days and the Daytona 500 on the 18th, it seemed like the perfect time to start a thread for the 2018 season.

CUP SERIES

• GearWrench and Cessna return to the #1 of Jamir McMurray in 2018 with fresh new looks.
    CX11822GHMC-1.jpgCX11865CEMC-1.jpg
  • With Miller Lite scaling back sponsorship, Discount Tire will pick up some of the slack and sponsor Brad Keselowski for 10 races in 2018.
    CX21823DTBW-1.jpg
  • DOW Chemical, American Ethanol, and AAA all return to the #3 of Austin Dillon with new looks in 2018.
    CX31822DJAD-1.jpgCX31865ATAD-1.jpg?timestamp=1517669806422CX31865AAAD-1.jpg
  • Jimmy John's returns to Kevin Harvick with a slight update, while Busch Light will be featured in a few races along with Busch.
    CX41865JNKH-1.jpgCX41823B5KHCL-1.jpg
  • Advocare returns to the #6 of Trevor Bayne in a new all-black paint scheme.
    CX61865AVTBtest-1.png
  • Danica Patrick will make her final NASCAR start at the Daytona 500 with Premium Motorsports in the #7, with GoDaddy partnering with Patrick for her last race.
    CX71822GBDP-1.jpg
  • Same team, new look for Chase Elliott. He will drive the #9 Chevy for Hendrick Motorsports to honor his father Bill Elliott and his hall-of-fame career. Hooters, Mountain Dew, NAPA, Kelly Blue Book, and SunEnergy will all sponsor Elliott in 2018.
    CX91822H1CLLQ-1.jpgCX91822SJCLCL-1.jpgCX91822NACL-1.jpgCX91823MDCL-1.jpg?timestamp=1517670340203CX91822KECLLQ-1.jpg
  • Aric Almirola makes the transition to the #10 for Stewart-Haas Racing, bringing long-time sponsor Smithfield with him.
    C101822SMNO-1.jpg
  • Ryan Blaney will drive the third car for Team Penske, piloting the #12 Ford with sponsorship by PPG Paints and Menards.
    C121822PXRBGC-1.jpgC121822MNRBGC-1.jpg
  • Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will look to carry his success in 2017 into the new season with a new look from Fastenal.
    C171823FARTCL-1.jpg
  • Daniel Suarez looks to avoid a sophomore slump in his second season at the Cup level with new looks from Arris, Stanley, and Peak.
    C191823AXDZ-1.jpgC191823STDZCL-1.jpgC191865PHDZ-1.png?timestamp=1517670997987
  • Erik Jones makes the jump from Furniture Row to Joe Gibbs Racing, replacing Matt Kenseth in the #20 Toyota. 
    C201822DRERCL-1.jpg
  • Paul Menard will bring the family name and fluorescent yellow to the iconic Wood Brothers #21 for the 2018 season.
    DRbz4wNXkAIsIv6.jpg:large
  • The #5 becomes the #24 as 20-year-old William Byron will run for Rookie of the Year with Hendrick Motorsports in 2018 with sponsorship from Axalta, Liberty University, UniFirst, 
    C241822ALWBRW-1.jpgC241865LYWB-1.jpgC241822UFWBCL-1.jpg
  • Ryan Newman returns to Richard Childress Racing for 2018 with a new look from Grainger and Caterpillar plus new sponsorship from Bass Pro Shops and Liberty National.
    C311823GNRN-1.jpgC311823CARN-1.jpgC311865LNRN-1.jpgC311822CCRNCL-1.jpg
  • CreditOne Bank takes over as the primary sponsor of Kyle Larson and the #42 for Chip Ganassi Racing in 2018.
    C421822C6KLGC-1.jpg
  • Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. will run for Rookie of the Year in 2018 driving the famous #43 for Richard Petty Motorsports as the team makes the move to Chevy.
    C431823CMDX-1.jpgC431823AFDXCL-1.jpgBubba-Wallace-2018-STP-paint-scheme-1-1200x867.jpg
  • AJ Allmendinger returns to JTG Daughtery Racing in 2018 with Kroger coming back as the primary sponsor.
    C471865KGAJ-1.jpg
  • Jimmie Johnson will go for a record eighth title in 2018 piloting a new all-black Lowe's paint scheme.
    C481823LOJJ8LQ-1.jpg
  • 5-Hour Energy and Bass Pro Shops partner to sponsor 2017 Champion Martin Truex Jr. and the #78 team for 30 of the 36 races in 2018.
    C781822BPMT-1.jpgC781823FHMT-1.jpg
  • Alex Bowman replaces the now-retired Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the #88 for Hendrick Motorsports with sponsorship from Nationwide and Axalta.
    C881822NWALGC-1.jpgC881822ALALCL-1.jpg
  • Finally, Kasey Kahne moves to Leavine Family Racing for the 2018 season and will drive the #95 Procore Chevy.
    C951822P1KKCL-1.png

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Not to advertise for another site but jayski (now a part of ESPN unfortunately) has always been on top of these schemes, they have pics of every car. 

And the contingency decals are interesting. I feel like NASCAR is opening up the sides for teams to put big sponsors since money is starting to become an issue for lots of good teams. Eventually we will see the numbers on the rear quarter panels. I mean I hate that they won’t be on the doors in a few years but if it’s the only way to keep the series running like this, then so be it

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Seeing these cars make me kinda sad.  I recognize the numbers and their fonts, some of which have been around for decades, but that's about it. 

Twenty years ago I could name all 40+ drivers, their numbers, and primary sponsors off the top of my head.  I spent lots of money on die cast cars and seldom missed a race on TV.

I stopped watching and started liquidating my die cast collection in the early 00s, which was fortunately before the bottom dropped out of the die cast market.  It was fun as long as there was one main scheme for each driver per year, but when they started running one "special" scheme after another, it just became too much to keep up with.  Much like what happened with the baseball card industry ten years earlier.

Today, with so many part-time sponsors, I imagine it's hard to know who's driving what, unlike the days when Dupont meant Gordon, Goodwrench meant Earnhardt, Kellogg's meant Terry Labonte, STP meant Petty, Valvoline meant Martin, Miller meant Rusty, etc.  It was easy to associate the drivers with their long-time sponsors.  It was better.

That being said, there are still some pretty cars on the track.  

18 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Not to advertise for another site but jayski (now a part of ESPN unfortunately) has always been on top of these schemes, they have pics of every car. 

And the contingency decals are interesting. I feel like NASCAR is opening up the sides for teams to put big sponsors since money is starting to become an issue for lots of good teams. Eventually we will see the numbers on the rear quarter panels. I mean I hate that they won’t be on the doors in a few years but if it’s the only way to keep the series running like this, then so be it

I'm not sure how numbers on the rear quarter panels would work...and I just don't see them moving the door numbers to another location. There are better ways to get sponsor money.

I think my favorite car so far in 2018 is William Byron's flames. The number font used on Chase's #9 is awesome.  Harvick's Busch cars are always good.  A lot of the others are kinda meh. One of the best cars in person is Logano's yellow and red Pennzoil.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure how numbers on the rear quarter panels would work...and I just don't see them moving the door numbers to another location. There are better ways to get sponsor money.

A couple teams have been using the quarter panel numbers for their test cars, such as Bubba Wallace and Ryan Newman:

Bubba-Wallace-Monster-Energy-NASCAR-Cup-Series.jpg

DVDWN3vWkAA4Kvz.jpg

Kyle Busch Motorsports prospect and son of Ward Burton - Harrison Burton - ran this paint scheme in the K&N series last year, which turned heads in the NASCAR community.

Image result for harrison burton dex imaging

I can't say I'm a fan of the look. However, I imagine sponsors would be all for this look as it prioritizes the company rather than the driver's number. Top-dollar sponsorship is usually placed on the hood of the car and has been for what seems like forever. Slapping Mountain Dew or Bass Pro Shops on the door in place of a giant number would be equally appealing in my eyes.

There was a big debate on Twitter recently over this exact issue. I believe the overall consensus was the traditional door number was preferred, but both options are considered to be better than the boxed numbers you see in other divisions of racing.

22 hours ago, flyersfan said:

I've been a frequent visitor of Jayski's "NASCAR Silly Season Site" for several years until the format change with the alignment with ESPN. I originally went there for the paint schemes, but noticed Lionel had better quality images. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Here are a couple Xfinity Series paint schemes for the 2018 season (from Jayski)

- Matt Tifft moves from Joe Gibbs to Richard Childress' #2 for 2018, which was the team's "all-star" car last season.
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0202%2Fr322510_800x450_16%2D9.png&w=570

- Cabela's sponsorship with RCR extends to the Xfinity series as well, serving as the primary sponsor in multiple races for Austin and Ty Dillon.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F1211%2Fr301404_800x450_16%2D9.png&w=570

- Tyler Reddick moves from Chip Ganassi to JR Motorsports full-time in 2018 and replaces 2017 Champion William Byron in the #9.
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0203%2Fr323194_1000x563_16%2D9.jpg&w=570

Also, the Xfinity Series itself will be sporting a new look with a new logo for the 2018 season:

NASCAR-Xfinity-Series-Logo.png

On 2/9/2018 at 10:04 PM, philcar1994 said:

NASCAR updated all of the touring series logos for this season

25306016157_30811cf3f9_z.jpg

25306016277_57f6d6875c_z.jpg

28397554799_806ab41d0d_z.jpg

I find it strange that they changed the Home Track logo but the Whelen All American Series logo hasn't changed, for which I am a tech inspector (among other things) for. I'm guessing it saves the track owners money on uniforms. 

iq5b7nF.png

On 2/9/2018 at 10:28 PM, See Red said:

That animated picture doesn't do Chase Elliott's Mountain Dew scheme justice.

r325419_817x817_1-1.jpg&w=570

I wasn't a fan of this car initially (matte racing stripes were, IMO, rather uninspired) but this car looks amazing on the track. That green paint is awesome.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, mr.nascar13 said:

C471865KGAJ-1.jpg

I don't like this look (multiple similar-sized sponsors on the quarter panel) as it looks cluttered, but I feel like it's the direction we're headed in the future. Either that, or what was posted above - numbers on the quarter panel and sponsor(s) on the driver's door.

The #2 also doesn't quite look right without Miller Lite - I realize they'll still be on for about a third of the schedule, but some sort of Miller branding just belongs on the #2!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

10 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I don't like this look (multiple similar-sized sponsors on the quarter panel) as it looks cluttered, but I feel like it's the direction we're headed in the future. Either that, or what was posted above - numbers on the quarter panel and sponsor(s) on the driver's door.

The 47 (and their teammate 37) are technically sponsored by Kroger, nobody else. Kroger just uses their sponsorship to push certain brands that they sell, which is why you'll see both of those cars either with a bunch of brands on the side or with one-offs featuring one brand for the whole scheme. This is also what Target did when they were with Chip Ganassi Racing. To a lesser extent, Dollar General did this with Joe Gibbs Racing, where they would feature a brand (Tide, Gatorade, Glad) on the lower hood.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Archived